PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Retro Games

Shlup
03-05-2012, 06:24 AM
BJ and I have set up out TV to play all the old games. We've mostly been playing Penguin Land for Sega Masters, but mostly because he's sick of me beating him at Lemmings for Sega Genesis. He's also yet to play any of the Sailor Moon puzzle battle games, even though their really good. Because he's racist.

What're some other games I should play? I think I'm going to play through Mickey's Castle of Illusion this week.

Pike
03-05-2012, 02:54 PM
If you're playing Genesis games you need to play all of the Sonics, Ecco the Dolphin, and Alien Soldier :bigsmile:

My favorite retro games? Pretty much all of my favorite games are retro games and at this point I'm sure half of you can rattle off a list of my ten favorite games or so because I talk about them so much so I'll spare you all from having to hear them again.

Sephex
03-05-2012, 05:44 PM
If I were stuck in a room with only retro games available and for some strange reason only one cabinet worked, I wouldn't mind if the Missile Command machine was up.

Aydin
03-05-2012, 06:16 PM
When you say retro, I'mma assume you mean pre-NES era.

Galaga
Centipede
Space Invaders

Pike
03-05-2012, 07:13 PM
If we're talking about that sort of retro, then I have two words for you:

Dig Dug.

Araciel
03-05-2012, 07:25 PM
To me, retro is NES or earlier, and as such... CHIP N DALE RESCUE RANGERS

Shlup
03-06-2012, 03:04 AM
We actually did play Chip N Dale's Rescue Rangers for quite a while. And some Dig Dug. And some Sonic.

Screw Ecco though. Wicked, wicked dolphin.

That reminds me, it's time for some Alex Kidd. Gotta play some Rock Paper Scissors with monkeys.

Hollycat
03-06-2012, 03:18 AM
galaga is a great one. don't even touch excitebike

dig dug, I probably burned ten hours on that game, never made it past level 5 or 6.
(i think)
pong of course.
(you can never have too much pong)

rubah
03-06-2012, 04:55 AM
a coworker has recommended caveman games to me, but I haven't picked it up yet.

Bubba
03-06-2012, 03:46 PM
If you're looking at two-player games then I'd recommend 'Snake, Rattle and Roll' or the classic 'Bubble Bobble' for the NES.

Maybe even some 'California Games' action or 'The New Zealand Story?

Pheesh
03-06-2012, 03:55 PM
I go through periods where I get addicted to tetris and it's all I play for weeks, so that'd be up there.

Loony BoB
03-06-2012, 04:56 PM
If we're talking about that sort of retro, then I have two words for you:

Dig Dug.
:<3:

Slightly more recent games than Dig Dug: Final Fantasy V, Excelsior, Dune, Dune 2, Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage 2, Streets of Rage 3, Wolfenstein 3D, Chuck Yeager Air Combat, Shadow Knights and some game I can't remember the name of. It was for PC, involved various alien races and also involved mining and colonising of planets and battling other races in one ship vs. one ship fights. My favourite ship, a big fat green one, allowed for you to send out loads of tiny little ships which would seek out the enemy ship and zap 'em repeatedly with their tiny little lasers. It was a good game! Damn, I wish I remember what it was called.

I also enjoyed another old-school space game that involved you trying to figure out who you are and acting as a bounty hunter. All I remember is that after playing the shareware version of the game you would get taken away in a weird green organic ship of some kind that could travel extreme distances. Or something. But yeah, that was a good game, too. Space games were so much better in the old days for some reason...

EDIT: After a bit of digging, the first game was called Star Control. :D

GhandiOwnsYou
03-07-2012, 01:17 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/GhandiOwnsYou/aliennesplayer.gif

Oh Hells Yes.

Wolf Kanno
03-07-2012, 04:55 AM
Frogger is a classic, Galaga has already been mentioned as well as Dig Dug. No Pac-Man though? Come on people, I thought you people had more sense than that.

Jumping into the NES/Master System, you have to play Marble Madness, Ghosts'n Goblins, Disney's Adventures in the Magic Kingdom, Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Castlevania, Metroid, Contra, Mega Man 2, Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Battletoads, Nemo's Adventures in Dreamland, Master Blaster, Vectorman, Comix Zone, and of course, Legend of Zelda. :cool:

Pike
03-07-2012, 05:38 AM
Frogger is a classic, Galaga has already been mentioned as well as Dig Dug. No Pac-Man though? Come on people, I thought you people had more sense than that.

I figured that was a given. Also the original Donkey Kong. And Centipede.

Loony BoB
03-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Just remembered that the other game was called Solar Winds. Yay. I can sleep easy at night once more.

Vyk
03-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Ninja Gaiden. Make a drinking game out of it. Take a shot when you die :P You'll be drunk before beating level 3. Possibly alcohol-poisoned...

Carl the Llama
03-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Shinobi, Desert Strike, James Pond II, Aero the Acrobat and Altered Beast to name a few.

I have more but if I were to play retro Genesis then it would be from that selection.