PDA

View Full Version : Portlandia

Jinx
03-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Last night I got introduced to this show, and I've already watched over half of the 6-episode first season.

It's a show making fun of or honoring hipster culture, in regards to your own opinion on hipsters. It reminds me a lot of Tim and Eric.

Does anyone else watch this show?

GhandiOwnsYou
03-06-2012, 08:24 PM
I blew through season one on a random Saturday. It bounced back and forth between total hilarity and complete misses for me. The whole music video thing in the first episode was brilliant, as was the adult hide and seek league sketch. Then again, some of them just fell flat, like the feminazi bookstore sketch. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone that is a hipster, or at least knows enough hipsters to understand the jokes. It reminds me of Stuff White People Like (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com) more than anything else.

Edit: The above blog is pretty damned funny, but comes with the caveat that it's one of the blogs that WAS hilarious, but then he got book deal and has since decided to never update it again. Also, funnier if you never watch any of his youtube videos, as they make you stop reading the posts as snarky and entertaining, and read them more in the authors actual douche-y tone of voice.

sharkythesharkdogg
03-06-2012, 09:13 PM
The hit and miss summary fits for me too. I still like it because some of the skits I found to be lough out loud funny. I can't say that about too many other shows.

Jinx
03-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Yeah, some of the skits didn't nail it for me. But I must say, I loved, "Stop being a stupid bitch, Nance. You're being a stupid bitch."

I told my ex (who introduced me to the show) that that's basically the summary of every conversation he and I have.

GhandiOwnsYou
03-08-2012, 07:54 AM
I liked the revolving hipster thing too, with the business guy gradually getting more hipster and the hipster guy eventually giving up and becoming a business man.

krissy
03-08-2012, 12:10 PM
http://www.fun-with-pictures.com/image-files/bird-silhouette.jpg

GhandiOwnsYou
03-08-2012, 12:51 PM
well played.

Jinx
03-08-2012, 01:49 PM
I liked the revolving hipster thing too, with the business guy gradually getting more hipster and the hipster guy eventually giving up and becoming a business man.

Haha, I thought that one was hilarious.