PDA

View Full Version : The Most Underrated Final Fantasy?

Pike
03-07-2012, 06:14 AM
I vote FF2. It gets overshadowed a lot by FF1 and FF3 (and 4 to an extent), and I think the unusual leveling system scares a lot of people away in the first hour or so of gameplay. However, this really is a fun little game if you're willing to give it a shot!

What do you guys think is the most underrated FF?

ShinGundam
03-07-2012, 07:11 AM
Mystic Quest.

Del Murder
03-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Either FFX-2 or FFV. X-2's battle system should have been the foundation for SE's future games, instead of the AI crap we get in FFXII or FFXIII. FFV seems to be overshadowed by the games before and after it, likely because each of those got a proper US release back in the day, but it was a great adventure with a great use of the classic job system.

Jessweeee♪
03-07-2012, 06:15 PM
FFX-2!

Elpizo
03-07-2012, 07:12 PM
III, V or Tactics Advance.

Sephex
03-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Mystic Quest. FFXIII-2 actually had real jumping this like game and kinda had weapon use on the field. I would like to see MQ's style in a newer FF.

Wolf Kanno
03-08-2012, 05:07 AM
I guess it would depend on what you're asking about when you say "underrated". If you're going for entries that are great but don't get any recognition from the majority of the fanbase, I'd say it"s FFIII and FFV. If you're going for games that are not well received but are actually pretty good, I'd say FFII, FFVIII, and FFXII. If we're expanding this to the whole FF franchise, I'd lump in the FFTactics Advance series and FF Crystal Chronicles in as well. Hell I'd even throw in Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, because it is far from being a terrible movie and it always gets me in the mood to play FFVII and IX after watching it. :cool:

Flying Arrow
03-12-2012, 09:54 PM
My gut reaction to this question is V, but I guess XII comes in second. Like Wolf says, V doesn't get enough recognition and XII is just in a lot of people's bad books for some reason. Both games are in my top 3 for the series.

Quindiana Jones
03-12-2012, 10:24 PM
X-2 did have a fantastic combat system, though if it was carried over then XII wouldn't have had the Gambit system, which I loved.

Crop
03-13-2012, 01:54 AM
XII for sure. When it first came out I was on the frontline with those saying it was an awful game, but after playing it a couple more times it has swiftly become one of my favourites. I honestly don't understand why it gets such a hard time, I certainly don't see what I thought was wrong with it.

Del Murder
03-13-2012, 04:32 AM
XII is a great game, the issue is that it is very different from every other Final Fantasy in that battles take place on the field in wide-open areas and treasure is randomized. That type of style isn't for everybody. It wasn't for me. It's actually much more like an MMO (such as FFXI) than any of the other single player FFs. I liked that about it at first, but eventually I got bored with it since it lacked the variety and interactive aspect that makes MMOs great.

Loony BoB
03-13-2012, 01:45 PM
FFV or FFXIII, in different ways. FFV is rated okay but is actually excellent. FFXIII is rated as rubbish but is actually good. I've not finished III, IV, VI or IX yet. I'm assuming we're not talking about XI or XIV, but if we are, I think XIV is probably pretty underrated now, as it's actually pretty good and that's before the latest patch which the players have been raving about.

Raistlin
03-13-2012, 07:01 PM
FFV and XII for sure. XII, despite all the hate, was a step in the right direction in a lot of ways (exploration and plot maturity)... and then the franchise took three steps backwards with XIII.

Also Tactics, because it has yet to be universally recognized as the best in the series.

Tigmafuzz
03-14-2012, 02:40 AM
FFV and XII for sure. XII, despite all the hate, was a step in the right direction in a lot of ways (exploration and plot maturity)... and then the franchise took three steps backwards with XIII.

Also Tactics, because it has yet to be universally recognized as the best in the series.
This.

Lamia
03-17-2012, 08:58 PM
XII and XIII. They get bashed because they're different but are both extremely high quality games. I have been replaying XIII and the music and scenery is absolutely amazing and it honestly baffles me that people do not think Final Fantasy XIII is amazing. I think people need to be more open minded... yeah, it's not what you expected out of a Final Fantasy but there is a high quality product to enjoy if you would be less prejudice.

It does seem that Final Fantasy XII has changed a lot of opinions over time. What I mean is that people look back at XII more fondly now than they did when it first came out... They thought it sucked then because they were disappointed but in retrospect they think, "That was a pretty awesome game, wasn't it?"

Forsaken Lover
03-18-2012, 01:27 AM
I can only echo all the FFXII support so I'm gonna say something different.

Final Fantasy II.

It's a cool game. Stop the hate.

EdgarFigaro
03-22-2012, 01:47 AM
Final Fantasy V definitly.

Hollycat
03-22-2012, 04:47 AM
x-2, xii, 2, I love all three, xii for the story, x-2 for the gameplay, and 2 for the uniqueness, and think everyone should give them at least a 10% try.

Kenshin IV
03-24-2012, 10:58 AM
For a long period it was unquestionably Nine, but that game has earned it's rightful respect over time.

Now it's hard to say. Twelve is flawed, but it would be my choice. Very good game that never reached its full potential. Final Fantasy II is a solid pick, though.

Clyde
03-25-2012, 02:18 AM
It has to be FF V. I lol at people who think IX is underrated.

black orb
03-27-2012, 01:30 AM
>>> FF2, the most underrated FF game ever..:luca:

Slothy
03-27-2012, 10:46 AM
I guess it would depend on what you're asking about when you say "underrated". If you're going for entries that are great but don't get any recognition from the majority of the fanbase, I'd say it"s FFIII and FFV. If you're going for games that are not well received but are actually pretty good, I'd say FFII, FFVIII, and FFXII. If we're expanding this to the whole FF franchise, I'd lump in the FFTactics Advance series and FF Crystal Chronicles in as well. Hell I'd even throw in Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, because it is far from being a terrible movie and it always gets me in the mood to play FFVII and IX after watching it. :cool:

Way to over complicate a simple question. Are all CK's this indecisive. The answer is obviously FFXIII since it's the best game in the series and you know it.

Alpha2099
03-28-2012, 06:13 AM
Most people have echoed my feelings about these games, so I'll just throw FF2 and FF5 out there.

Final Fantasy Rookie
03-29-2012, 01:52 AM
Final Fantasy X-2, for me. I would've said Final Fantasy IX but it seems as time goes by, it's slowly getting more recognition than it did a decade ago, and that's a good thing.

Slothy
03-29-2012, 02:43 AM
Of course everyone agrees with Kanno because you can't counter the big man with all the power. It's just awesome that no one can think for themselves even a little bit in this place. Do you really agree with him? Can't anyone have an opinion that runs counter to his?

I can't stand the elitism in this place. WK has the worst taste and the absolute worst idea of what good moderation is for the Final Fantasy sections. I can't believe they still keep you around. You're a joke of a moderator.

No. Not even sort of.

Shlup
03-29-2012, 03:01 AM
Wow, Vivi, your attitude here is really just... unreasonable. There's no need to attack people for their opinions. Calm yourself.

My favorite FF game that doesn't get much love is Crystal Chronicles. I had great fun playing through it with my friends.

Hollycat
03-29-2012, 03:26 AM
Darn it, now I want to know what he posted.

Really Shlup, I'm surprised, while I don't remember much about it, I do remember playing one of the cc games and just hating it. Does it just start bad or what?

Shlup
03-29-2012, 04:00 AM
Did you play it with friends? I imagine most people who didn't care for it didn't have a full party.

Hollycat
03-29-2012, 04:16 AM
I was alone.

Madame Adequate
03-29-2012, 05:44 AM
Also Tactics

I think you thought this was a Most Overrated FF thread. :eyebrow:

Alpha2099
03-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Also Tactics

Bazinga!

Raistlin
03-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Also Tactics

I'm so very sorry, Huxley. When did you have that brain removal operation? Are you ever going to be able to stop drooling?

Del Murder
03-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Final Fantasy VI is the most underrated because it is the best Final Fantasy but not everyone says it is the best so for that reason it is very underrated because not everyone shares my obviously always correct opinion.

Raistlin
03-29-2012, 07:51 PM
I see a flaw in your otherwise perfect logic: you are not me, and therefore can't always be right too. :cool:

My mention of FFT was obviously facetious