PDA

View Full Version : Fruits and Vegetables

Jiro
03-11-2012, 01:03 AM
At the March Staff Meeting, a point was raised that one staff member dislikes the vast majority of fruits and vegetables.

Do you have fruits and vegetables? Do you hate them in general, or just specific ones?

Quindiana Jones
03-11-2012, 01:08 AM
Parsnips. They smell delicious, but everything else about them is Satan.

Jinx
03-11-2012, 01:10 AM
I love veggies. Last night I ate a bowl of just yellow peppers and tomatoes with a little Italian dressing. I don't care for onions.

As for fruits, YUCK! I'm not really into fruit.

Agent Proto
03-11-2012, 01:30 AM
As long as it doesn't have a strong bitter taste, I am cool with fruits and vegetables.

Sephex
03-11-2012, 03:37 AM
At the March Staff Meeting, a point was raised that one staff member dislikes the vast majority of fruits and vegetables.

Do you have fruits and vegetables? Do you hate them in general, or just specific ones?

I am also like the staff member in question. I really dislike most food and vegetables, but I've been getting much better with expanding my taste buds as time goes on.

Tigmafuzz
03-11-2012, 04:08 AM
I love most fruits, but I have a hard time with certain vegetables. Bitterness is not my thing.

Shlup
03-11-2012, 05:37 AM
Not liking fruits and vegetables makes no sense to me. How does a person even live like that?

The way I eat fruits and veggies you'd think they were an important food group or something.

Pike
03-11-2012, 06:41 AM
I like brussels sprouts and spinach, so there, everyone else!

Edit: Also lima beans

fire_of_avalon
03-11-2012, 07:28 AM
I like and love all the vegetables except onions, mushrooms (technically a fungus, I know) and usually cabbage. Sometimes cabbage is ok. I don't remember how I feel about turnips and parsnips because I haven't had them in a kabillion years. I looooooooooove spinach. And tomatoes. And peppers. And everything.

I love all of the fruits except mango. Because yuck. I'm not crazy about grapefruit but I am a fan of all other citruses. I love basically every fruit ever, but I looooooooooove apples and blackberries. They smell good, they taste good, they make pies and stuff. And mooshing blackberries = dye! yaaaaay.

Hooray fruits and vegetables!

EDIT: I believe the lima is the worst of the beans. It's just mushy and flavorless but I'll eat it in a stew like whoa. The best bean is the black bean. Yum.

Shlup
03-11-2012, 07:33 AM
I like brussels sprouts and spinach, so there, everyone else!

Edit: Also lima beans
I like the first two, but not lima beans. Blech.

Tigmafuzz
03-11-2012, 08:19 AM
I like and love all the vegetables except onions, mushrooms (technically a fungus, I know) and usually cabbage. Sometimes cabbage is ok. I don't remember how I feel about turnips and parsnips because I haven't had them in a kabillion years. I looooooooooove spinach. And tomatoes. And peppers. And everything.

I love all of the fruits except mango. Because yuck. I'm not crazy about grapefruit but I am a fan of all other citruses. I love basically every fruit ever, but I looooooooooove apples and blackberries. They smell good, they taste good, they make pies and stuff. And mooshing blackberries = dye! yaaaaay.

EDIT: I believe the lima is the worst of the beans. It's just mushy and flavorless but I'll eat it in a stew like whoa. The best bean is the black bean. Yum.
I agree that onions and mushrooms are horrible, and that cabbage is sometimes okay. And I will agree that tomatoes and peppers are awesome.
I will also agree that almost all of the fruits are amazing, all the citruses are good, and that grapefruit is meh.

But how dare you say that spinach is better than mangoes. THIS MEANS WAR!

Peegee
03-11-2012, 08:34 AM
i'm allergic to vegetables and fruits.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
03-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Do you hate them in general, or just specific ones?

Fruits I like: Apples, Oranges, Bananas, Grapes

Vegetables I like: Corn, Green Beans, Carrots

Hopefully I didn't forget anything.

I blame this for part of the reason I have a hard time getting into shape. I don't like a lot of fruits or veggies and therefore I have a hard time trying to make a meal out of anything healthy. I eat the above foods as snacks or side dishes.

Rantz
03-11-2012, 09:38 AM
I LIKE THEM ALL

Quindiana Jones
03-11-2012, 12:38 PM
When summer comes around, I'm probably responsible for the consumption of about two thirds of Kent's strawberries.

Jinx
03-11-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm on-board with the folks who hate lima beans. I guess it's because growing up, we'd always have them from frozen, so they'd be really weird and hard. And of course, my parents would make me eat EVERY. LAST. ONE. Trauma.

And earlier I said I don't like fruit, and it's funny, cos last night my mom said something about hating fruit as well. So, interesting.

NorthernChaosGod
03-11-2012, 10:55 PM

>doesn't like onions
>doesn't like mangos

We can no longer be friends, MegaPow.

Shiny
03-11-2012, 11:37 PM
If you don't eat fruits and veggies then you will die of cancer or some other horrible disease like AIDS. Yes, eating meat causes AIDS. Truth! :shiny:

Jinx
03-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Eating the right kind of meat causes AIDS.

Ee-yoh! ;)

Quindiana Jones
03-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Pork.

fire_of_avalon
03-11-2012, 11:51 PM

>doesn't like onions
>doesn't like mangos

We can no longer be friends, MegaPow.
Your loss, babes.

Eating the right kind of meat causes AIDS.

Ee-yoh! ;)
You're just so cute!

Shattered Dreamer
03-12-2012, 12:23 AM
I like broccoli, carrots, red & white onions, cabbage, potatoes & marrow fat peas. I don't like peppers, cucumbers, sweet corn or garden peas. I am indifferent to mushrooms.

On the fruit side, I like apples, oranges, bananas, grapes & pears. Sadly due to a stomach acid problem I have, apart from pineapples & bananas I'm basically allergic to the rest :(

Bubba
03-12-2012, 01:31 AM
Tomato: "Ha ha ha! We rule the the fruit and veg universe!"
Pepper: "Yes. It is our adaptability that keeps us strong."
Tomato: "I am used in both salads and delectable main courses!"
Pepper: "As am I. We are one and the same."
Tomato: "Ha ha ha!"
Pepper: "Lima bean? How are your prison bars?"
Lima Bean: "...sturdy..."

Sephex
03-12-2012, 01:51 AM
I ate a salad today. I don't do that often enough. This may sounds mundane, but I seriously have had very few salads throughout my entire life.

Slothy
03-12-2012, 02:37 AM
I don't like most vegetables unless they've been doused with a generous helping of Renee's Mighty Caesar dressing. I find most, save carrots and onions really, are too bland to simply eat. I'm a bit better with fruit since I like Granny Smith Apples, Lime, Lemon, Raspberries, Grapes, and Blackberries.

I'll take a nice cut of steak to any of that though.

Bubba
03-12-2012, 03:15 AM
Mmm... steak...

Jinx
03-12-2012, 03:20 AM
Steak should only be eaten rare.

Bubba
03-12-2012, 03:26 AM
I generally opt for medium-rare.

Anyone who orders it well-done should be burned at the steak...

Jinx
03-12-2012, 03:28 AM
Or who puts ketchup on their steak. Dear God.

Bubba
03-12-2012, 03:42 AM
Or who puts ketchup on their steak. Dear God.

Poor, uncultured souls...

I like how this has suddenly turned from a 'fruit and vegetable' thread to a 'steak appreciation' thread...

Pheesh
03-12-2012, 03:51 AM
Why am I not surprised to open up a Fruits and Veggies thread and see the last few posts all about steak?

I like more or less all fruits, the exception would be kiwi fruits, purely cause of the texture and the seeds. Vegetables I'm more picky about, I don't like Capsicum, pumpkin, onions (unless they're used in a sauce or stock or cooked right down) and zucchini. I'll also avoid Sweet Potato if I can.

Jinx
03-12-2012, 03:54 AM
Also, you can't like kiwi, because you're from Australia. I hear they lynch you for that tit there.

NorthernChaosGod
03-12-2012, 04:55 AM
Steak should only be eaten rare raw.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
03-12-2012, 06:38 AM
I forgot pears. I love those.

Iceglow
03-12-2012, 06:42 AM
I like all fruits which is annoying because I also like Oranges and I'm allergic to them. Makes buying fruit salad a pain in the ass too often I have to buy individual fruits or cans of fruit and mix it up myself which costs more than buying a bowls worth of pre-mixed stuff lol.

Vegetables I'm more fussy about, but generally speaking I like about 70% of them, have never liked beetroot, sprouts or parsnips though.

Shiny
03-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Steak should only be eaten rare raw medium well.

For fruits I am pretty much obsessed with mango. I love mango on my meats, like salmon. I love mango smoothies, mango juice, mango on top of mango. Mango attracts fruit flies...only downside.

For veggies, pretty much everything, but lima beans and squash.

NorthernChaosGod
03-12-2012, 07:19 AM
You get out. How dare you ruin good meat.

Freya
03-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Potatoes are Edible gold and mushrooms are the spawn of satan.

Miriel
03-12-2012, 08:10 AM
I didn't like a lot of vegetables for a long time. Broccoli, spinach, brussels sprouts, grean beans, mushrooms, squash, etc. I hated them all. But that was when I didn't know any better. Now I like a ton of veggies including the ones I mentioned, and I'm discovering new ones to like all the time. Guess what I started loving just this week? KALE! Who the hell knew kale could be so delicious? It's really really good.

I like and love all the vegetables except onions, mushrooms (technically a fungus, I know) and usually cabbage.

I refused to touch mushrooms for the first 2 decades of my life. And now I eat it on a regular basis. I usually have something with mushroom in it at least once a week, if not more. I LOVE mushrooms. Have you ever had mushrooms sauteed in butter with garlic, shallots, and fresh thyme? Jesus christ. It's freakin' amazing.

I think with vegetables, it has everything to do with preparation. I hated peas for the longest time and would painstakingly remove it from a dish if it were present. And then I had a fresh summer vegetable salad. Barely cooked green veggies (peas, green beans, asparagus) lightly drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette. It was ridiculous. Everyone at the table was just scarfing it down and then staring sadly down at the empty bowls. We asked the restaurant for the recipe and they said it was nothing, they just picked some fresh veggies from their garden, blanched it in water for less than a minute and then served with a little dressing. Insane.

Squash used to make me throw up, I thought it was the most disgusting thing ever. And now I like it. It's all in the preparation. Caramelized butternut squash is soooo good.

Quindiana Jones
03-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Raw mushrooms are taaaaaaaaasty. If I feel like it, I'll just eat a box of mushrooms like a box of strawberries.

fire_of_avalon
03-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Why am I not surprised to open up a Fruits and Veggies thread and see the last few posts all about steak?

I like more or less all fruits, the exception would be kiwi fruits, purely cause of the texture and the seeds. Vegetables I'm more picky about, I don't like Capsicum, pumpkin, onions (unless they're used in a sauce or stock or cooked right down) and zucchini. I'll also avoid Sweet Potato if I can.
avoid sweet potato?! That's OK, I'll have your share.

Miriel, I actually have had one mushroom dish in my while life that I like. A wild mushroom maderia soup that made me about crawl on the floor it was so good. Every now and again I will try a mushroom to see if I like it and I always end up rubbing my tongue with a napkin and drinking lots of water.

fire_of_avalon
03-12-2012, 12:19 PM

avoid sweet potato?! That's OK, I'll have your share.

Miriel, I actually have had one mushroom dish in my while life that I like. A wild mushroom maderia soup that made me about crawl on the floor it was so good. Every now and again I will try a mushroom to see if I like it and I always end up rubbing my tongue with a napkin and drinking lots of water.

Jiro
03-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Does anyone know wtf lingonberries are and why they're so delicious?

Breine
03-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Being a vegetarian fruit and veggies are a pretty big part of my diet. I can't think of a fruit or vegetable that I don't like. Like, seriously. I'm thankful for never having been a picky eater. I luv teh food.

Raistlin
03-17-2012, 05:20 PM
I love most veggies, but I can't stand lima beans. They're disgusting.

I also eat fruit semi-regularly, especially apples and grapes. I have never liked bananas, though. I can't stand the smell or even banana-flavored things.

magewarrior
03-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Some fruits are okay but for the most part I like to eat vegetables. I love carrots, celery, brocoli, basically anything that can be served with dip.