PDA

View Full Version : My computer hates RAM!

Pike
03-13-2012, 06:53 AM
I put some new RAM in my computer, taking care to be sure it matched my motherboard, was what it could handle, etc. etc. Now my Windows partition freezes every five minutes and has to be hard rebooted. (Linux still seems to be fine, from what I can tell, but maybe that will change.)

I don't think the RAM is defective because as I said, Linux seems to be working and the computer detects all the RAM when I turn it on. Things feel snappier, too. Except for the whole Windows hates me bit. Should I just reinstall, or am I missing a setting somewhere? :confused:

Mirage
03-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Did you try to run memtest-whatevernumberitisnowadays? The RAM could be defective, and maybe your linux installation just handles this particular defect better than Windows. I would try memtest, then reinstall windows if it didn't find any errors.

Also, isn't it "syndicalist", not "syndacalist"? :p

Pike
03-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Did you try to run memtest-whatevernumberitisnowadays? The RAM could be defective, and maybe your linux installation just handles this particular defect better than Windows. I would try memtest, then reinstall windows if it didn't find any errors.

Also, isn't it "syndicalist", not "syndacalist"? :p

Yeah, I ran memtest but maybe I should run it more (as I told you on MSN just now xD)

And :( I feel silly now for that typo. I'll fix it. xD

Old Manus
03-13-2012, 11:26 PM
How much memory does My Computer > Properties think you have? Is it the same as what shows up in the performance tab of the Task Manager?

Pike
03-14-2012, 05:53 AM
How much memory does My Computer > Properties think you have? Is it the same as what shows up in the performance tab of the Task Manager?

I took one of the sticks of RAM out so I'm down to 3 now, to see if that makes any sort of difference. So far so good but I'll probably run memtest again. And yeah, both of those display the right amount of memory.

Peegee
03-14-2012, 07:31 PM
I just realized I have 6 gigs of ram which is plenty for my zombie kill sprees (my comp would never go above 6 gigs of ram), so there's no reason to buy another stick.

That said, troubleshooting which stick was causing BSOD was fun (not). But you said that linux likes your ram? Did you run memtest in linux?

Also by now, you must've returned that ram, right?

Mirage
03-14-2012, 09:20 PM
memtest86+ runs in its own "OS", not within a normal OS.

Pike
03-15-2012, 01:10 AM
Also by now, you must've returned that ram, right?

No because I got it from NewEgg and it would be too much hassle to return

Besides, I'm convinced that there's nothing wrong with it and it's my computer. I'll do more testing soon.