PDA

View Full Version : Things that shake up your perspective.

sharkythesharkdogg
03-13-2012, 06:53 PM
So my parents and myself were helping organize some things for my grandparents when we came across this.

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz318/sharkythesharkdogg/Scan0001.jpg

As near as I can tell, (my German is weak) it's a swimming certificate. What makes it odd to me is that it's a swimming license from 1941, with a Nazi government seal on it. It was my grandmother's.

I know it's nothing amazing, but it's just odd for me to keep in perspective that the same body of government that was attempting to conquer most of the modern world and systematically exterminate Jews and other enemies of the state was simultaneously building a modern system of roads, supporting some of the arts, and....well...issuing swimming certificates.

So, basically, the point of this thread is what makes you sit back and blink a few times.

krissy
03-13-2012, 11:20 PM
earthquakes

Quindiana Jones
03-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Aye, the Nazis were pretty effective in building Germany back up after the economic catastrophe of the First World War. It's just the fascism and genocidal tendencies that bring them down, really.

Concussions shake up my perspective if they're severe enough. :snark:

Tigmafuzz
03-14-2012, 02:31 AM
So, basically, the point of this thread is what makes you sit back and blink a few times.
Getting hit in the head with a hammer.

Quindiana Jones
03-14-2012, 02:41 AM
Having an extremely bright light shone suddenly into my face. There's another one.

Freya
03-14-2012, 02:43 AM
Standing up way too fast after lounging around for a while. Light headed x_x

Sephex
03-14-2012, 02:44 AM
The time I had to throw up because I drank too much many years ago, and there was this girl at a party I liked. I creeped outside and puked, so no one would notice. In the middle of puking, I realized what a cliche I had become, and that even without throwing up, getting wasted isn't the way to go.

But I did blink a lot because I puked.

Jessweeee♪
03-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Standing up way too fast after lounging around for a while. Light headed x_x

I hate that! One time I actually passed out! And then I woke up on the floor thirty seconds later very confused. It's very confusing.

Pheesh
03-14-2012, 02:38 PM
When you pull your lips back with your hands and just look at your teeth and gums in the mirror, freaks me out.

Loony BoB
03-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Go on, sharky, I'll be your serious replier for today. :p

I have a friend who had a relative that fought for the Nazi party. She was very protective of him, and pointed out some pretty understandable reasons for him fighting for the party (against his will, basically). It was an interesting discussion. Also, death and divorce tend to make me stop and think. Also, people who do great things and then think nothing of it, not claiming any fame or attention or anything like that. Just doing them because they can, and then getting on with life. That's always insightful. On the flipside, stupid people make me sit back and blink. See: Darwin Awards.

sharkythesharkdogg
03-14-2012, 05:53 PM
I'd forgotten about this thread. :p

It's also odd when something you've done that you don't think is a big deal seems to really surprise someone else.

Pheesh
03-15-2012, 02:28 AM
I'd forgotten about this thread. :p

It's also odd when something you've done that you don't think is a big deal seems to really surprise someone else.

Yeah, she like woke up and I had snuck into her bed and she was all like "Whhhhhaaaaa, get out you psycho." Making a big scene out of it and stuff, and I was like "What's the big deal, babe!?!"