PDA

View Full Version : Cultural Bubble quiz

Peegee
03-15-2012, 02:57 PM
I got 72. You?
Do You Live in a Bubble? A Quiz | The Rundown News Blog | PBS NewsHour | PBS (http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2012/03/white-educated-and-wealthy-congratulations-you-live-in-a-bubble.html)

krissy
03-15-2012, 03:18 PM
it's wrong about a lot of things
and a lot of these questions are dumb

Peegee
03-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Actually that's the less-than-obvious reason for posting this quiz - critique it.

You got a 40? are you upper class champagne sipping fun time bears?

krissy
03-15-2012, 03:31 PM
i feel insulted
i should have been able to mention my bmw and pool and cocaine covered hookers
i didn't usurp power from the stock market and sell off thousands of children to be modified into caviar to be considered anything less than top ten

Raistlin
03-15-2012, 04:15 PM
45. I also think the quiz is dumb.

Quindiana Jones
03-15-2012, 04:17 PM
I chose to do this even though I'm not American. As such, I scored 20. I am part of the American upper-middle class xD.

Tigmafuzz
03-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Honestly, I felt this quiz dealt mostly with stereotypes, and I felt like it was being condescending the entire time.
It wouldn't surprise me the PBS DOCTORATE assholes made this quiz themselves.
I agree with this sentiment.
Also, I got an 82. I have no idea what this number means because I neither read the article nor analyzed the results; after feeling the stupidity emanating from this "quiz" it just didn't feel like the results were relevant.

EDIT: After skimming some of the crap that site was spewing, I think the fact that I got a higher score means I've lived a more full (or at least more fun) life than those iwth lower scores. Or maybe it has something to do with being cultured and experiencing different ways of life, which I got a lot of being shuffled between foster families for four years.

nik0tine
03-15-2012, 04:25 PM
This is beyond stupid and I'm completely incapable of actually taking the test. How am I supposed to know if my neighbors have college degrees? I've never spoken with them and likely never will.

Jessweeee♪
03-15-2012, 04:31 PM
I got a 46. But I feel like the quiz should have taken age into consideration xD

I knew who Jimmy Johnson was. I did not know about Bransen.

EDIT:

http://www.city-data.com/

^This might be able to help with the college degree thing, depending on where you live.

Jinx
03-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Fuzz: Basically, the higher the score, the more lower class you are.

Tigmafuzz
03-15-2012, 04:58 PM
I like my way better. Rich people who grew up sheltered can suck it :p

Bunny
03-15-2012, 05:48 PM
This quiz forces you to make a lot of unnecessary assumptions.

And what the hell question 11? I've served in the armed forces, and I know what all of those insignias are, but just having served in the military isn't a specific qualifier. I got a 63.

That quiz is dumb and offensive, as it makes a significant amount of stereotypes that don't actually matter. How does owning a pickup truck make me more lower class? Going fishing? What the hell.

Tigmafuzz
03-15-2012, 05:57 PM
How does owning a pickup truck make me more lower class?
I know a guy in Michigan who has never been in a position where there weren't at least two people in his house who made more than $50,000 a year. He has a pickup truck because of its practicality and dependability. Does that make him lower class? Fucking pbs.

Tigmafuzz
03-15-2012, 05:58 PM
I think the people who developed this test need to get the hell out of their own "cultural bubble."

Sorry for the double post, it's not letting me edit my previous one for some reason.

Peegee
03-15-2012, 06:01 PM
when i talked to hsu about this I posited that the idiots who made this quiz made the quiz purposefully idiotic in order to score reasonable (30s) scores.

If there WERE such a quiz like this most people who were upper middle class from birth would score 20s or lower.

Personally I was amused that my score is higher than most of yours, which makes no sense since the majority of my colleagues from EoFF are not ballers.

Tigmafuzz
03-15-2012, 06:05 PM
It just means you've had a great life so far, Peeg. :upsidedow

NorthernChaosGod
03-15-2012, 06:07 PM
I got a 57. Stupid quiz is stupid.

Jinx
03-15-2012, 06:12 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one raging over this quiz.

"OH WOW I WATCH THE OFFICE THEREFORE I AM LMC."

Fuck that. That show is FUNNY.

Peegee
03-15-2012, 06:17 PM
It just means you've had a great life so far, Peeg. :upsidedow

I don't know if that's what that means. Does the quiz measure my ability to empathize with people from a particular socio-economic group? Or does it measure my 'blue collar slave mentality pride' ?

It certainly doesn't measure standard of living.

Bubba
03-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Alternative things I could've done in the 6 minutes I wasted doing that quiz

- Watered the plants in my office
- Flirted with the hot new temp
- Counted to 360
- Joined an online cult
- plucked my nostril hairs
- Stared into space
- Stapled my testicles to the desk

All of these things would be preferable to taking that quiz again...

I got 36 which means I'm an upper-middle class American... even though I'm from a working class English family.

Peegee
03-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Does that mean that your standard of living is higher?

Btw what DOES the quiz measure? is it blue collar likeability or is it lower class likelihood?

Psychotic
03-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Why is it that society discriminates against middle class suburban white people like me? :confused:

krissy
03-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Does that mean that your standard of living is higher?

Btw what DOES the quiz measure? is it blue collar likeability or is it lower class likelihood?

whether or not you live in Mississippi i think

Mississippi Conservatives Talk About Their Hatred Of Obama - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7r2i6NrqNs)

Peegee
03-15-2012, 07:58 PM
I can't talk about RP without running into small minded, stuck-in-their-own-small-world children who hate everything democratic because 'gummint stole our freedoms' or whatever their excuse is today.

So I guess my high score makes me one of those people?

krissy
03-15-2012, 07:59 PM
yeah it's so hard to find anyone legit to talk to about role playing
especially girls
ahyuck

Værn
03-15-2012, 08:08 PM
I answered all of my questions as though I was a homeless drifter who has never gone to school, made friends, watched TV, or eaten in a restaurant, and it told me that I was an "upper-middle class person who has made a point of getting out a lot" and "with the television and movie going habits of the upper middle class."
Apparently the upper-middle class are uneducated, friendless hitchhikers who live in poverty and have never seen a fancy picture box.

TheGlassesGirl
03-15-2012, 09:04 PM
44. I don't know how watching an interesting episode of Oprah makes me a middle class citizen. Even though I currently live in the lower middle class with my mom.

Pike
03-16-2012, 01:21 AM
I like how it was like "Have you ever lived in a small town? DOESN'T COUNT IF YOU WENT THERE FOR COLLEGE."

Because what if the small town where I went to college is, in fact, my hometown and I've lived there forever? What then? :confused:

Agent Proto
03-16-2012, 03:21 AM
I think that meant if you only went there to go to college rather than if you live there despite going to college there as well.

I took this quiz and ended up with 24 as my score. I don't understand but whatever, this was a stupid quiz to take anyway.

fire_of_avalon
03-16-2012, 03:46 AM
The quiz measures how much you have in common with folks of a lower socio-economic class. The question about television habits, for example, doesn't measure how bright you have to be to enjoy the shows. It measures that you spend your free time watching serial programming instead of, say, jetskiing.

I scored a 67.

Sephex
03-16-2012, 04:05 AM
I got a 32! Meh, whatever. I am what I am.

Laddy
03-16-2012, 04:09 AM

Shlup
03-16-2012, 07:27 AM
PG quit posting stupid things and then trying to play it off like you knew it was stupid and you were just testing everyone. You're a liar and a whore and I will choke you.

Yar
03-16-2012, 07:28 AM
48. I don't know how to interpret these data!

NorthernChaosGod
03-16-2012, 07:29 AM
PG quit posting stupid things and then trying to play it off like you knew it was stupid and you were just testing everyone. You're a liar and a whore and I will choke you.
I think he'd like that though.

Jiro
03-16-2012, 08:51 PM
America this america that. fuck the quiz

Peegee
03-16-2012, 08:56 PM
I think he'd like that though.

https://www.facebook.com/SDLFKJSDFSDLKF

Tigmafuzz
03-17-2012, 01:20 AM
Why is your facebook gender female :jess:

theundeadhero
03-17-2012, 06:54 AM
I scored a 74. I think by quiz rankings that makes me a redneck.

Tigmafuzz
03-17-2012, 02:41 PM
For some reason I feel inferior for having the highest score so far. Dammit PG.

Renmiri
03-17-2012, 07:15 PM
when i talked to hsu about this I posited that the idiots who made this quiz made the quiz purposefully idiotic in order to score reasonable (30s) scores..

:eek:

I got 31 and only that high because my ex husband went fishing with the kids 3 years ago...

Mom and Dad were lawyer and Psychiatrist, always lived on a city, smaller town i lived had 100,000 people, have no idea what military insignia is what...

Still I have bought Avon stuff and know a lot of good working folks, am one right now.

This test should have a category for 2nd gen upper class that has fallen on worker cass thanks to GW Bush's recession (me)
:greenie:

Also it is very biased to white America. If you are from a working class family outside US you wouldn't know what the heck Applebee's is, or several of the othe cultural references. The quiz maker himself admitted this, he says it won't give out proper results for Hispanics or other non-white cultures (and he talks about living in a bubble.. want a better example of bubble than making a WASP only quiz ?)

Peegee
03-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Why is your facebook gender female :jess:

because I am a female?

edczxcvbnm
03-19-2012, 04:30 AM
I got a 17...does that mean I win?

Hollycat
03-19-2012, 08:20 PM
48, no idea what that means

Quindiana Jones
03-20-2012, 05:20 AM
Oh, you plebeians and your plebeian ways.