PDA

View Full Version : It goes bump in the night....

Freya
03-16-2012, 06:07 AM
I just attempted to play Dead Space. I think i'm pretty good with scary things so I thought i'd be fiiiiinnnnnneeee. I turned the surround sound on, even dared with the lights off. Worse move ever. It started scaring me in the first 20 mins. Then I decided to finish a puzzle before I went back to save. That way I could come back to the game in the morning. So I finish it, the puzzle that is, walk to the door. That's when the lights go off, I hear a sound and a freaking monster starts attacking me from behind. I freak out, scream really loudly, slam on the xboxhome button and threw the controller across the room.

Fuck that game. Fuck that series. Fuck scary things. Fuck. I have never really got scared at something like that before. This has shaken my core. I thought I'd be okay if there was some scary invasion or apocalypse of something but now, now I don't even know what to think. Stupid dead space made me scared. Fuck that game. I was a hardened badass and now i'm a screaming GIRL. D=

What has honestly scared you enough to outright scream? GATHER ROUND THE CAMPFIRE! It's scary storytelling time!

http://www.tilesofcalhoun.com/campfire%20flames.gif

Hollycat
03-16-2012, 06:10 AM
Honestly, nothing has ever scared me enough to scream, not even the time I got thrown out of a window. Just let your instinct do the work and you'll be fine. Seriously, 20 feet is nothing.

theundeadhero
03-16-2012, 06:11 AM
The only games that have managed to do that to me are Quake, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 2, and Fatal Frame 2. Nothing like dying on old computer games because they scared the crap out of you and you can't get your fingers back on the keyboard right in time.

Shlup
03-16-2012, 07:28 AM
The only times I remember being scared enough to scream have all been my husband's doing. At slumber parties growing up I <s>am the one who knocks</s> was the one who made others scream.

krissy
03-16-2012, 07:34 AM
i love dead space so much kc
it's the first game to make my physically sick due to disorientation
it was beautiful

anyway you should try silent hill 2 one day

edit: it does this cool procedural sound generation where if something is right behind you it won't flourish the intense fight music until you turn around to see it. it was probably the audio shock you experienced, i felt it a few times during the game. i remember the beginning being particularly frightening because they just throw the monsters at you and you cannot fight back and have to run.

NorthernChaosGod
03-16-2012, 07:34 AM
As an adult, there's only one thing to have scared me enough to really unnerve me. A couple years ago I had consistent and horrible nightmares for a week straight. I woke up from one of them screaming loud enough to actually wake my mother and have her come check up on me from upstairs.

G13
03-16-2012, 07:44 AM
I don't scare easily, and when I am scared I don't scream.

Like last night, actually, I got hit by a car (which wasn't as bad as it may sound). I just kind of looked up and thought "Ah, tits, really!?"

The last time I remember actually screaming at anything was when I watched a friend play BioShock for the first time. It was in the morgue or someplace, and we were both really into what was going on. Then the fog descended over the screen, and when it lifted he turned around and there was a splicer like right in his face. We just flipped out.

Tigmafuzz
03-16-2012, 08:27 AM
I didn't realize it until I read this thread, but I haven't been scared in years. Not even so much as startled. I've been fairly jaded by life. I don't think this is a good thing.

Then again, I love morbid things and creepy stories and such. One of my favorites that you can get to online is the Holders series, even though it's kind of weak.

Pike
03-16-2012, 02:10 PM
I can only think of one time in my life when I've been scared enough to scream.

It was when I was about eight or nine years old and I was sitting on my bed and this spider decided to descend on its little web-string right in front of my face.

I hate spiders...

Slothy
03-16-2012, 02:35 PM
I found Dead Space pretty mundane in the scares department.

I've never been scared enough of anything that I screamed. But I am less than 2 hours into Amnesia: The Dark Descent. The last time I played it was about a year ago. I might have the nerve to go back to it shortly if only because I dislike that I've avoided it for a year.

I've met every horror movie and game I've ever encountered with nerves of steel and an unshakeable resolve (early Silent Hill games being the exception, but at least I beat them multiple times over), but play a couple of hours of Amnesia and I'm terrified. The worst part? With the exception of the water section, which anyone who's played it knows what I'm talking about, there have been no enemies. Literally nothing that could kill me has shown up. And after watching video of someone else playing through the game, there won't be any enemies for at least half an hour, maybe longer. I've never seen any media that managed to be so fucking terrifying when you're in absolutely no danger at all.

Tigmafuzz
03-16-2012, 03:37 PM
I'd say the last time I was truly scared was last night. My stepdad and I had to call the cops because our neighbour across the street was beating his wife, and we could hear her screams from our house...yeah.
I was in a situation like that a while back. I knew that the drug dealer across the street from where we were staying at the time was beating his girlfriend, and one time when she screamed I ran over and busted the front door in. Apparently she had some sort of deathly fear of mice and screamed because one ran across her kitchen. I forgot she had already broken up with the asshole lol. I spent the next four hours catching a mouse. I kept him for a few weeks :monster:

Freya
03-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Oh look at you guys! Such hardened nerves of steels people. "You had a gun murr murr" It was still scary :colbert: Ill just make sure ot take a few of you with me when something happens, that way I'll survive. :D

Hollycat
03-16-2012, 05:15 PM
I would be scared if someone was going to shoot me. You guys are crazy.

Sephex
03-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Never screamed at any game before, but the first time I played Amnesia: The Dark Descent constantly made me feel dread and high levels of anxiety, which is still unusual for me. The kind of psychological fear really gets to me.

And after watching video of someone else playing through the game, there won't be any enemies for at least half an hour, maybe longer. I've never seen any media that managed to be so smurfing terrifying when you're in absolutely no danger at all.

Nothing is scarier...

Psychotic
03-16-2012, 05:48 PM
When I met the office ghost at work a couple months back. It wasn't AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGH scary it was "...what...the fuck...oh...oh dear..." scary.

Tigmafuzz
03-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Now THAT'S a good game. I bet Freya would love it :jess:

Sephex
03-16-2012, 07:30 PM

Totally! Not only is the game very bright and colorful, but the background story is very cheerful! <3

Hollycat
03-16-2012, 07:35 PM

Totally! Not only is the game very bright and colorful, but the background story is very cheerful! <3
I love the level where you have to bring all the butterflies their birthday invitations.

Freya
03-16-2012, 07:38 PM
I know what that game is you guys :colbert: Go diaf.

Sephex
03-16-2012, 07:43 PM

I love the level where you have to bring all the butterflies their birthday invitations.

Me too.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz4llwQiqx1rom3rlo1_400.jpg

Peegee
03-16-2012, 07:50 PM
I don't get scared by media.

BUT

Amensia Dark Descent was interesting. Not scary per se but very immersive.

I did find the Paranormal Activity Movies to be very engrossing. I can't stop staring and by the end I'm very satisfied.

The first movie got me seeing shapes in the dark. That's a GOOD movie.

Jiro
03-16-2012, 08:42 PM
I was like six when I played the first resident evil game and I couldn't figure out how to attack so the zombies mauled me and I freaked out and was scarred for life.

Tigmafuzz
03-17-2012, 01:16 AM
I know what that game is you guys :colbert: Go diaf.
We love you too.

Bubba
03-17-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm pretty good with scary movies because its all happening to other people. I'm terrible with scary games though because it's happening to me!!! Aarrrrgghhhhh get off me!!!! I DON'T LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!

I remember completing the original Resident Evil and vowed never to go near another scary game again... The Hunters scared the shit out of me.