PDA

View Full Version : Journey

Loony BoB
03-16-2012, 10:25 AM
So, anyone got it? I'm considering buying it soon. Only thing holding me back is that I'd be paying for a game that people have pointed out can be done in less than an hour, and usually takes roughly 1-3 hours regardless. Despite that, the reviews are glowing so I'll probably be tempted to shell out the cash tonight. :)

G13
03-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Reminds me a lot of Prince of Persia by the visuals. It looks really good! Had I a PS3 I would definitely download this. I could justify paying for a short game that has a lot of substance.

Scotty_ffgamer
03-16-2012, 12:09 PM
I bought it a few days ago (got it a little early due to playstation plus). The game is definitely the best indie game I have ever played, and it is among my favorite all-time games. I've personally beat it about 3 times and watched 2 other people play it all the way through. I say it is worth the 15 bucks even if one playthrough is short (which is about 1:30 - 2 hours for the first playthrough). I say buy it.

Jessweeee♪
03-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Looks gorgeous but last I heard it was a PS3 exclusive. I don't own a PS3!

Loony BoB
03-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Bought it, played it, don't regret it. Wow, that is one hell of a unique game, and I hope to see more games like it over time. This is the kind of game they could do over and over with different areas and stuff and it would still be amazing, although something tells me they won't, because they will want to do something new again. Which is great, because thatgamecompany are amazing. I think I'll play again today and will get Danielle to play it when she gets home.

My first thought after finished was that I felt like my character just got married or something. xD

DMKA
03-17-2012, 03:43 PM
I've been interested in Journey for quite a while now. I'll probably check it out later after I've finished my backlog.

Scotty_ffgamer
03-17-2012, 06:41 PM
The game is definitely an experience. I have found that it is really hard to describe the game though. I've had a few friends ask me what it is like, and my trying to describe the game always makes it seem kind of boring. Once they play it though, they usually leave thinking it's one of the best games they have played. It is really interesting seeing different people's experiences with the game though. Every play through I have seen has been a pretty different experience from the last.

Pete for President
03-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Getting it as soon as I get back to my ps3.

Hollycat
03-17-2012, 07:06 PM
I was going to buy it because everyone tells me how good and life changing it is, but then last night I was in gamestop preordering assassins creed 3 and the guy would not shut up about it. I held a $20 in my hand for over 30 minutes waiting for him to stop talking so I could pay and go home. Also there was a family behind me in line waiting. That guy needs to shut his mouth.

Loony BoB
03-17-2012, 07:11 PM
So what you're telling me is that you can't afford to buy it right now because you are too busy spending your money on a game that comes out in October. =|

Hollycat
03-17-2012, 07:22 PM
No, I can afford, I'm just not going to buy it because that guy annoyed me to heck.

Loony BoB
03-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Oh, that's sensible. I hate it when people like games, too. And when people like games a lot, I know I won't! It's a good way of going about things. :up:

Hollycat
03-17-2012, 07:32 PM
So you're saying you wouldn't be frustrated for a while if someone held you up for a half an hour talking about a game you already told them you were planning on buying?

Loony BoB
03-17-2012, 07:37 PM
And what if he raved on about Assassin's Creed III? :p Would you not buy that, too?

Hollycat
03-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Yes. Not at that gamestop anyways.

I Don't Need A Name
03-17-2012, 07:45 PM
I certainly see where HC is coming from here though. I've never watched Sherlock but thought I may one day get round to seeing it. My two housemates spent a few weeks not shutting up about it and quoting it all the time and now I never want to see it advertised again, never mind watch the thing.

Loony BoB
03-17-2012, 07:46 PM
I was not aware you could even buy the game in-store. xD Use PS Store, according to Gamestop's website (it is a download there, too) it's the same price anyway.

EDIT: I can understand being less inclined to watch a TV series if people are annoying when they talk about it, because you don't pay to watch a TV series and you can still get around to it in your own time anyway. If it's something I'm willing to pay for in the first place then I wouldn't let someone raving about it stop me from giving it a go. And I can understand that if you are living with the person in question then you can see this as a case of "You know what, you talked about it so much I'm going to not watch it to spite you" or even "If I watch it now, you're all going to think it's just because you raved about it, so I won't!". But I don't think that this Gamestop guy is going to lose any sleep over a guy he doesn't know not buying the game. I can however understand not buying it at that store, definitely.

I Don't Need A Name
03-17-2012, 07:51 PM
You can't get it in store. I think HC meant that if he went on about ACIII then he wouldn't buy it from that Gamestop

Hollycat
03-17-2012, 07:59 PM
correcto!

Loony BoB
03-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Oh. In that case, my original point stands. :p

krissy
03-17-2012, 11:09 PM
i would have burnt that gamestop down
with the family still inside

Edge7
03-26-2012, 02:24 AM
This is why I'm glad they sell PSN cards at my local pharmacy :p.

Anyway, just beat the game. Holy crap that was amazing... I don't think I've ever been so emotionally invested in a game's last 20 minutes. HC, I know employees at Gamestop are annoying, but you HAVE to get this game, especially if you initially wanted it to begin with.

Hollycat
04-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Ok I bought it, I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as Flower, made by the same company, which is longer and cheaper. Still nice. I want to try this companion thing, but apparently no one I'm friends with has Journey.

GhandiOwnsYou
04-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Loved it. Same as you though, I didn't find it to be quite as awesome as Flower, but I attribute a lot of that to it not being quite as astoundingly different as Flower. Flower was totally out of the blue, I had nothing to go on except the vague recommendations of a few reviewers that it was not to be missed and totally different than other games. I think that gave it a significant "wow" quality. With Journey I kinda knew what I was getting into beforehand, which probably lessened the impact. Also the gameplay itself is more conventional than Flower. Humanoid, jumping, platforming, collecting trinkets for powerups, etc.

I'd offer to play with you, but the Journey multiplayer system is totally random. I'm frankly very surprised you haven't run into anyone though. I played through it the day it released for the PlaystationPlus presale, and in the credits it lists the screen names of the people you ran into or travelled with. I think I had 6 or 7 just in the one playthrough, and none of them were names I recognized. If you were moving quickly instead of meandering and taking it in, you may have run right past them though. You don't get any kind of notification or anything, they just kind of spawn into your game and you wander across them. I found that I came across several of them by listening for the little magical/musical pings you can make. You can often hear them if you can't see them.

I will say the last level has a totally different emotional impact travelling with someone rather than going it alone.

Loony BoB
04-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Ok I bought it, I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as Flower, made by the same company, which is longer and cheaper. Still nice. I want to try this companion thing, but apparently no one I'm friends with has Journey.
You don't need any of your friends to have Journey to do anything in Journey. That's the beauty of it - strangers aren't total wankers in this game. It takes all the things you judge gamers over and removes them and leaves you with just the game as it should be played, and it's rather inspiring.

Did you play it on your own, and not online? That's cah-razy, man! Nobody should ever play the game alone unless they have already completed it with strangers and are just getting trophies unlocked.

Hollycat
04-04-2012, 05:57 PM
I was all alone for both playthroughs.

Loony BoB
04-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Pause.

Press Square to get to the terms and conditions for online play.

Accept the terms.

Have fun. :)

Hollycat
04-04-2012, 08:39 PM
nothing happened when I pressed square

Loony BoB
04-05-2012, 01:13 PM
When you pause the game at any time, do you see the option to view the online terms & conditions or whatever? Are you logged into the PlayStation Network (or whatever it's called now)?

Hollycat
04-05-2012, 06:13 PM
I am logged in but nope.

Loony BoB
04-05-2012, 06:45 PM
If you're logged in and you start a game and then press Start at some point, what does it say on the pause menu?

Roto13
04-09-2012, 02:47 PM
I was so unimpressed with this game. It was too linear (I thought a game called "Journey" might actually let me explore a bit), they beat you over the head with the message ("LOL life is the journey u guize get it?"), and that one big moment at the end was completely underwhelming for me.

And the only reason the people you're playing online with aren't teabagging you and calling you homophobic slurs is because they can't.

Flower was better.

Loony BoB
04-09-2012, 04:52 PM
I feel sorry for you if your past interactions with the human race have lead you to be so negative about them. :p For all you know, you could have been playing alongside me, and I don't do what you said. *shrug* Don't be so pessimistic!

Flower was great, don't get me wrong, but I still think Journey is just as good, just in a very different way.

Hollycat
04-09-2012, 06:24 PM
I love the shout outs they put in journey to both flower and flow.

Yeargdribble
04-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Wow, I thought I was the most bitter misanthrope on this forum, but I loved Journey. I've played it through about 6 times now. It gets samey after that many times, but the 1st and 2nd playthroughs are vastly different experiences. I didn't finish with someone the first time, but I helped someone the second. By the third I had my white robe and it was great helping people. I honestly wasn't looking forward to the multiplayer aspect leading up to the game, but i makes it quite an experience.

BTW, the soundtrack is out now for only 5 bucks.

Shattered Dreamer
04-11-2012, 09:07 PM
I considered buying this the other day when I got a PSN card but went with I Am Alive instead. From what everyone here is saying sounds like I would really like Journey

Roto13
04-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Game should have been called "Flowest"