PDA

View Full Version : Want to join EoFF's staff? We're taking applications! (no, seriously)

Loony BoB
03-16-2012, 11:22 AM
We're looking for people who are interested in being an Editor. Different Editors have different focuses, and we want some people to focus on providing news to the frontsite on the same day it's revealed. You'll be expected to flesh it out with your own personal touch rather than being just another robotic reporter from the depths of the internet, so throw that into the requirements alongside quality spelling, grammar and an interest in helping improve EoFF.

The perks of the job? Access to the staff forum. If that's not enough, then you get a fancy little 'Editor' rank, too! What, pay? Ha! Let's just say that we'll give you a 100% pay rise after your first update... and speaking of updates, we'll need you to do enough to keep your position and we check that kind of thing over a period of six months.

So, if you're interested, send me a Mognet Message (http://home.eyesonff.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=22) with details of why we should hire you. It could be a CV, it could be an example of what you'll do, it could just be a one-liner for all I care! I was going to do a little template for you to fill in but then I figured that you should be a little creative and surprise us. :) I'll post your Mognets into staff and we'll decide who we want to hire (if anyone) later. Thanks!

News we try to cover: The Final Fantasy series, Square-Enix and Square-Enix RPGs such as Kingdom Hearts, Mistwalker and Mistwalker RPGs such as The Last Story, Nobuo Uematsu and Final Fantasy music.

Old Manus
03-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Only if I don't have to slather praise over SE's latest average game.

Loony BoB
03-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Slagging them off certainly won't help your cause, considering there's every possibility that you could eventually meet Square-Enix (although you'll have to fight other staffers for that opportunity, naturally). One of the reasons we want news is to drum up interest in the games, because people being interested in Final Fantasy games gives them reason to keep coming back. So while you don't have to sing their praises as if every release is the BEST EVER, we aren't after people who are out there to rant about how crap the games are. Putting people off the games will only lead EoFF downwards. Boosting EoFF is a big priority. Obviously. :p

Despite all that, there's nothing to stop an editor from making a thread in the staff forum with justification for something more negative to go up on the site. If you've got a case, I'm sure we'll listen to it and if it's a good case, I'm sure we can be convinced. A case full of money will definitely help you in convincing me. :shifty:

Tigmafuzz
03-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Oh man. I would totally apply for a position if I wasn't stuck in a bottle right now.

Hollycat
03-16-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm in. I've thought about writing an article just so I could become an editor, and now I'm glad I waited.

Freya
03-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Lol of course hypo would be in. You should have done a "Who wants to be the next... editor!" Comp like you use to with the CKness. Would have been a bit different i'm sure but then you could make people jump through hoops and you'd have a stock of articles written by willing writers :lol:

Hollycat
03-16-2012, 05:07 PM
I generally love writing articles, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Freya, I could write you one if you gave me a topic.

Old Manus
03-16-2012, 05:14 PM
I don't think you should hire someone who only loves writing articles generally.

Loony BoB
03-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Possibly worth noting that we're not after fancy articles in the editor we're hiring. We're after news, and for it to be on-the-day rather than five-days-later. This is more reporting/commentary on recent announcements from Square-Enix etc. than "Don't you guys love Bahamut? Check out his history!"

I'm obviously not saying we won't have articles and I'm definitely not saying that this editor can't also write articles on the side... but we have people willing to do that on staff already and now we're more interested filling in the holes than supplementing what we already have. Covering all bases, if you like. :D Recently there has been a lot of news we haven't reported on and we hope to have one or two members responsible for that end of things.

We'll maybe look to get more fancy article writers over the coming months, though. =]

Hollycat
03-16-2012, 05:43 PM
If I become staff I will do my best. If I don't, well, then I guess I wont. XD

Raistlin
03-16-2012, 06:34 PM
I have sent in my application. :plotting:

Jiro
03-16-2012, 08:37 PM
I'm going to apply as well. Smurfers trying to undercut my role.

Baloki
03-16-2012, 10:13 PM
If I become staff I will do my best. If I don't, well, then I guess I wont. XD

It's a pity we won't be getting any articles from you but oh well...

Melissaur
03-16-2012, 10:28 PM
I'll try

Shlup
03-16-2012, 11:53 PM
I feel like I should add that you won't be solely responsible for the news--anyone can do news, and you'll be working with me especially, but you should definitely be working to keep up with the news. Also, you'll have to be willing to write up the Final Fantasy XIV stuff, basically because that's the area where I've been slacking because I don't like Final Fantasy XIV and I'm not a good liar.

If anyone, as a regular member, ever wants to report some news, all you have to do is create a thread in the appropriate forum with your article, and ask a staff member (or post in Private Feedback) to get it reviewed and promoted to the front page. We have a nifty button that says "Promote to Article" so that's actually quite easy for us to do.

Freya
03-17-2012, 03:08 AM
I didn't know that! I'll keep that in mind when I'm making my internet rounds

rubah
03-17-2012, 03:44 AM
At least you're not holding a tournament

Goldenboko
03-17-2012, 03:48 AM
I believe that this is your sandwich.

Raistlin
03-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Also, you'll have to be willing to write up the Final Fantasy XIV stuff, basically because that's the area where I've been slacking because I don't like Final Fantasy XIV and I'm not a good liar.

Sorry, guys, I think I have you beat for this one. I went to grad school for lying.

At least you're not holding a tournament

If by "at least" you mean "unfortunately," because the last one was hilarious (albeit fake).

Freya
03-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Wes, they wont give you it on principle. Access to staff? LOL.

Psychotic
03-17-2012, 05:37 PM
This whole thread is an abortion. HEY GUYS WHO WANTS STAFF ACCESS!!!??!??! pleeeeeease do some work for us :( gj lonny bob you awful failure. :colbert:

Raistlin 4 Staff 2012 imho. Reap what you sow.

Renmiri
03-17-2012, 06:35 PM
I will try to write some articles like i promised on my last stint as staff, hopefully it will happen this time;)

Loony BoB
03-17-2012, 06:42 PM
This whole thread is an abortion. HEY GUYS WHO WANTS STAFF ACCESS!!!??!??! pleeeeeease do some work for us :( gj lonny bob you awful failure. :colbert:

Your face is an awful failure, and if we don't want to reap anything out of this, we don't have to. That's what the "(if anyone)" bit is in there for. If you want to go find us a quality reporter through other means, though, then you're welcome to save me the hassle. :D

Psychotic
03-17-2012, 06:52 PM
I was hoping you'd ask such a thing.

Ideally I would post this in the General FF forum and announce it.

Have you ever wanted to write your own blog about gaming news and views? I bet at some point or another, we've all had a starry-eyed dream of showing the world how smurfing awesome and superior to those other hacks out there and considered it. Then thought "I cba to get it all set up and promote it so more than 6 people actually read it". Boy do we ever have a proposition for you!

Get on the frontpage of one of the world's foremost Final Fantasy sites which already attracts thousands of visitors.
Infrastructure already in place - no need to set anything fancy up or work on designs!
Work with a team of somewhat helpful and moderately friendly people who will provide useful feedback if you would like, helping you be the best you can be!
Put it on your CV/Resume! Yes, "I write blogs about a Japanese video game series!" is not employment material. How about "Responsible for maintaining and creating news content on a leading high traffic site"? Doesn't sound too shabby, no?
Gain internet respect, popularity and fame!
And finally... tell the world what YOU think! You're smarter than all these Sephy fanboys, and wouldn't you just love to let them know that? Wouldn't you enjoy creating thought-provoking content about a much loved game series? Can't you see yourself writing witty, clever and insightful pieces and maybe even - god forbid - finding yourself enjoying it?

I appreciate Bulletpoint 4's not going to be the killer "Oh my god let's hire this guy!" deal-maker, but when you're a student like I imagine most of you are and don't have much experience, it's good to try to find as much stuff to pad it out with. I reckon it would help if you were looking to go into the journalism/working at Gamestop industries (;)) too!

More people care about bulletpoint 5 than they'd care to admit.

Freya
03-17-2012, 07:09 PM
I feel like that spoiler is directed at me...

Loony BoB
03-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Do it! The more applications the merrier. Preferrably more than just four. xD

Raistlin
03-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Wes, they wont give you it on principle. Access to staff? LOL.

Wait, that meant full access to the forums' staff forum? Is that just because you guys don't want two staff forums or because you're trying to integrate frontsite and forums more? Otherwise it doesn't seem to be necessary to me... unless it's an excuse to deny my services. I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE YOU SHIFTY BASTARDS

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2078/2341255437_25138357d7.jpg

Loony BoB
03-17-2012, 08:03 PM
You don't need staff access to post threads about the news. :p

Regarding seperate forums, the staff is fully integrated when it comes to that kind of thing now. Seperate forums are a thing of the past. We're the FUTURE.

Baloki
03-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Those who have applied, please check the staff section of the forums.

Melissaur
03-18-2012, 02:56 PM
What are we checking for?

fire_of_avalon
03-18-2012, 07:15 PM
For funsies.

Also, Paul, you are a dreamboat. Daniel, did you post anything about this in the FF fora... where the people who talk about FF a lot ... talk about FF a lot?

Hollycat
03-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Those who have applied, please check the staff section of the forums.
Under the Initiative?

Madame Adequate
03-18-2012, 08:27 PM
I'd like to be a CK because the crushing rejection and damage to my ego after seeing not one, but two subsequent girlfriends be CK'd while I am passed by is just too much for me to bear. I've been researching bridges near my house but Leicester is pretty flat so there's just a flyover in town, and I think I'd just end up with broken legs and some pneumothorax.

On the bright side once I get Pike over here I will have had sex with more mods than anyone else in EoFF history :smug:

Psychotic
03-18-2012, 08:28 PM
On the bright side once I get Pike over here I will have had sex with more mods than anyone else in EoFF history :smug:You say that, but I am fairly certain that nobody has issued more bans than my right hand.

Loony BoB
03-18-2012, 08:45 PM
Daniel, did you post anything about this in the FF fora... where the people who talk about FF a lot ... talk about FF a lot?
I put up announcements across the board. I didn't want to make two threads, so decided to stick it in General Chat since it's the most frequented forum by the majority of members. But Psy should have it covered now, 'cause he's made/making a thread down there too. Hooray!

Psychotic
03-18-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm regretting criticising you. Now I have to do, y'know, work. :colbert:

Thread made, anyway. And just remember folks: If someone as incompetent as me can make news updates for the frontsite, so can you!

Shlup
03-19-2012, 06:57 AM
I believe he made a forum called "The Initiative" for you.

Freya
03-19-2012, 07:07 AM
Ooo neat! I would post in there but as of now I'm eating chocolate ice cream. Priorities. They are needed or else this whole world would go into a non chocolate ice cream eating chaos. And we just can't have that. No, no. We can't have that.

Shlup
03-19-2012, 07:21 AM
It's good to know your priorities are in order. I just had a fat bowl of mint and chip but I'm already craving a second.

Freya
03-19-2012, 07:52 AM
I've now contributed but at what cost? The cost of all my ice cream. It is now non-existent and there is no extra available to me at this time. I don't know what to do with my life anymore. :(

Jiro
03-19-2012, 08:09 AM
Write more, make money, buy ice cream. I call this the circle of life.

Freya
03-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Really, I think they just need to clone Jiro. Ya know, I mean one Dak, who is a semester away from having a Degree in Journalism, is good, but think of TWO Daks! It rattles my brain with it's News Reporting Awesomeness. Problem solved.

Loony BoB
03-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Oh! That reminds me. Sorry, I should have clarified. Whoever we hire is just going to be used as a host body. We are indeed working on cloning Jiro, but we don't want to wait 18 years for a body to grow, so...

Jiro
03-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Wait wait wait, don't I get a say in this? I don't approve of a clone me, that wouldn't be good. How the fuck are you even doing it, you haven't got any of my DNA!

Rantz
03-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Or have we... Roogle!?

Freya
03-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Yeah I was going to say, you DID hang out with roogle.

NorthernChaosGod
03-19-2012, 05:41 PM
I don't approve of a second Dak. That would take away from the specialness that is Dak. :colbert:

Jiro
03-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Roogle wouldn't try to steal my DNA, I would shoot him with nerf darts again.

Loony BoB
03-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Thanks for that hair, Roogle, I'll get right on it.

Hollycat
03-19-2012, 08:21 PM
What part of the body did that hair come from?

Jiro
03-19-2012, 08:52 PM
My legs, probably. I have hairy legs, like a gorilla.

Hollycat
03-19-2012, 09:22 PM
really? Because I'm looking at it and it is long, rough and curly....

Jiro
03-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Just like an Australian's leg hair should be, to aid us in surviving the harsh natural environment.

Loony BoB
03-19-2012, 10:49 PM
So I'm tenderly taking care of Jiro's hair, you know, making sure it's nice and clean for the cloning process, checking it's texture, rubbing it softly, letting it roll between my fingers, and then I find out HC is looking through the window and checking out the hair and I'm thinking "God damn, HC, that's just creepy."

Hollycat
03-19-2012, 10:51 PM
His hair wasn't the only thing I was checking out if you know what I mean.
I will do anything to get this job BoB.
Anything.

Even murder.

Jiro
03-20-2012, 04:28 AM
You know there's something wrong when the first thing I thought off when HC posted was that he was posting in the wrong thread. How the smurf did we get hair?

Loony BoB
03-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Fixed your typo.

Hollycat
03-20-2012, 04:32 PM
You know there's something wrong when the first thing I thought off when HC posted was that he was posting in the wrong thread. How the smurf did we get hair?

Have you ever heard of Chloroform?

Jiro
03-20-2012, 04:40 PM
HAIR HOW DOES IT WORK

G13
03-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Masturbation jokes that obviously aren't jokes. Spying on BoB while he does weird things. Talking about Dak's pubic hair. A well meaning thread going nowhere fast.

Yep, it's like I'm back in the staff forum.

Loony BoB
03-21-2012, 12:20 PM
It's all for you, man. All for you.

Old Manus
03-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Masturbation jokes that obviously aren't jokes. Spying on BoB while he does weird things. Talking about Dak's pubic hair. A well meaning thread going nowhere fast.

Yep, it's like I'm back in the staff forum.
Only the staff forum?

Jiro
03-21-2012, 05:34 PM
It's most concentrated in there.

Old Manus
03-22-2012, 10:11 AM
I'd need staff permissions to confirm this for everybody.

Jiro
03-22-2012, 05:25 PM
I approve.

I Don't Need A Name
03-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Well I've sent an application off cause why not. Sounds fun :]

Slothy
03-23-2012, 07:08 PM
I sent in my application. Because why not take on a new role around here and pass the work off on everyone else at the last minute? :p

And in case I wasn't clear BoB, it actually was a serious application, despite being my not so serious self in it.

Jiro
03-23-2012, 07:42 PM
The more of you that apply, the less I have to do. Apply so I can retire to the bahamas

I Don't Need A Name
03-28-2012, 01:48 PM
When are any decisions being made anyway?

Loony BoB
03-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Have you received any kind of communication regarding what you should be doing next? Because at the moment a handful of people have actually started posting stuff in the Initiative forum. We'd ideally like for every candidate to do at least one piece of work before we can really judge who we want to keep.

However, we will be shortening the list of candidates soon. We have around ten now and we'll probably cut 4-5 of them.

I Don't Need A Name
03-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Guess I should open my eyes more. Didn't realise the Initiative forum existed :jess: And no, I've received nothing

JKTrix
03-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Good thing I got the PM! I do have a couple of things in mind that I can do right now.

escobert
03-28-2012, 06:48 PM
I would love to be the editor of the frontsites shift to Guild Wars 2 instead of Final Fantasy! I mean come on who the hell plays FF games anymore!? :p

Shlup
03-28-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm now backing Bert for the position.

krissy
03-31-2012, 06:44 PM
hey so can i have foa's job?

[M] Mom – Host
04-01-2012, 04:21 AM
Seems like you nice folks have had some trouble hanging onto and getting new staff members lately. Sounds like you need a saviour. :aimsun:

Shlup_has_burger_nips
04-01-2012, 05:38 AM
Let's do this.

Loony BoB
04-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Applications have now closed. Those who have applied can continue their work in the Initiative while staff make a decision on any potential promotions.