PDA

View Full Version : Drowning in Gil

Hollycat
03-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Seriously.
I am.

Not rushing you, please don't think I am, just curious.
How long until the card prices are raised and we get more cards and battles available in triple triad. It's no fun playing against someone who pretty much commits suicide in a card game.

Jiro
03-19-2012, 12:23 AM
He might not be rushing you, but I am. Get this shit organised you smurfers.

NorthernChaosGod
03-19-2012, 02:26 AM
CARDS.

Shlup
03-19-2012, 05:47 AM
Seeing as it's been Del's turn and BoB's turn in the two games I'm playing since the week we installed the game... I'm guessing never.

Pike
03-19-2012, 05:48 AM
You can now officially only post in this thread if you have over 4000 gil.

WE ARE THE 1%

Jiro
03-19-2012, 08:22 AM
What even is my gil?

EDIT: oh shi-

Laddy
03-22-2012, 01:19 AM
I need an addiction. Come on, EoFF!

Quindiana Jones
03-22-2012, 01:27 AM
This is why you should've used Tetra Master, you BASTARDS.

Ahem. :shifty:

Bunny
03-22-2012, 04:27 AM

WE ARE THE 1%

YOU CANT STOP ME

Hollycat
03-22-2012, 04:31 AM

WE ARE THE 1%

YOU CANT STOP ME

Spray mace in his face!
http://cdn4.diggstatic.com/story/mace_cop_layer/o.png

seriously, how are we coming along on the cards?

krissy
03-22-2012, 04:50 AM
i think the original author of the mod abandoned the project in 2008 and no one's picked it up since

Hollycat
03-22-2012, 05:03 AM
I know that isn't true since I played a full version on Emuparadise last year.

krissy
03-22-2012, 05:34 AM
oh in that case
#OCCUPYEOFF

blackmage_nuke
03-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Please make Gil transferable, I want to use them to run gambling rings in forum games

Hollycat
03-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Please make Gil transferable, I want to use them to run gambling rings in forum games
That would take a TON of work.

Jiro
03-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Gambling rings are easy, what are you talking about?

Loony BoB
03-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Seeing as it's been Del's turn and BoB's turn in the two games I'm playing since the week we installed the game... I'm guessing never.
It's your turn and has been for at least the time that I upgraded TT. So that's about, what, two days? :D

Trading Gil

Gil is effectively transferrable using the Trade Centre. Sell a level 1 card for whatever amount you like. They are open trades, though, where anyone can take up the trade... so if you want to transfer the gil to a specific person you'll need to be online at the same time and make the trade before anyone else notices.

Higher level cards / Tougher CPU opponents

Higher level cards will become available by the next Ciddies at the latest, although it's possible they'll be out earlier if enough people are interested in Triple Triad. Right now, not many people have more than a handful of cards above level 1.7

Tougher battles will become available as the higher level cards become available. The plan is that you will not be able to win cards from level 8 and above from CPU opponents, nor will you be able to buy cards above level 3. The intention is that high level cards will be made available through participation in forum events and through Triple Triad tournaments. Essentially we don't want to flood the forums with level 10 cards... we want people to have to challenge other players in order to get them. I will add that only four different CPU players are planned where you can actually win cards off them. I can create more CPU players with higher level cards, but they would be used purely for challenge purposes - eg. a player that has all Level 10 cards and is on God Mode, or something.

I might do some tournaments soon with the winners getting level 5 cards, just to test out how well tournaments work.

Long Term: How you can expect to get cards

In the long run, you can expect something like this...

Level 1 - Pack purchase, 5 gil (1 post)
Level 2 - Pack purchase, 50 gil (10 posts) OR Easy difficulty CPU opposition
Level 3 - Pack purchase, 500 gil (100 posts) OR Average CPU opposition
Level 4 - Average CPU opposition
Level 5 - Rewards (basic - eg. voting in Ciddies) OR Difficult CPU opposition
Level 6 - Difficult CPU opposition
Level 7 - Rewards (easy - eg. nominating in Ciddies) OR Max'ed out CPU opposition
Level 8 - Rewards (medium - eg. speeches in Ciddies)
Level 9 - Rewards (Competition prizes / Triple Triad tournaments)
Level 10 - Rewards (hard work - eg. frontsite work, or major Triple Triad tournaments)

Card Prices

Regarding pricing of cards, I'm going to keep an eye on this. I wanted to start high and work the way down rather than flood the place with easy cards and then bring the price up. It's so easy to get cards from the CPU opponents that I don't think it's worth giving them away cheaply through gil as well.

I've just lowered the cost of level 2 cards down to 2000 for 5 instead of 4000 for 11. This is something a lot of us can afford since there has been no real need to use gil for the past couple of months, and hopefully the amount of gil around the forums will lower with the high cost of these cards if they want a head start. Expect the price to lower as more and more people get more cards (check the statistics area of Triple Triad to see how many have been collected by the top ten collectors - I'm aiming for 20 people with 20 different cards before I lower the price to 1000, and so on... supply and demand and all that!).

The alternative is that people take advantage of the trade centre within Triple Triad. I'm starting to sell some myself, and I encourage others with a lot of cards to start selling them at decent prices, too. :)

Drowning in Gil?

I've also decided to lower the amount of gil you get per post and per thread made. It's 1 and 5 now, compared to 5 and 10 beforehand. I think there is enough gil around the membership now to warrant the lowering, so yeah. I may eventually use Fwab as a 'gil sink', selling slightly higher level cards on a one-off basis for high amounts of gil... but that's just a random idea I had recently and is nothing set in stone.

Ideas are welcome!

I do welcome ideas for challenges and all that kind of thing, by the way! Anything that will keep people interested works for me!

Ultima Shadow
03-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Make sure to include the Plus rule in the tournaments. It's my favourite rule.

Oh, and I love the idea about having to win the highest level cards from other forum members, but... there's a high risk people will only use those cards in matches where the winner doesn't get to take anything, to make sure they don't lose the cards. :p

Loony BoB
03-27-2012, 02:36 PM
I've been thinking about that and I'm sure we can come up with something to keep them interested in using them. Tournaments can be won and lost over such things. :)

Some tournaments will use the Plus rule, some won't. The downside of the Plus rule is exactly what you were talking about - people are more likely to get away with not using higher level cards if the Plus rule is in effect. Tournaments for high level cards will probably not have the Plus rule in most cases purely to encourage people to use their most powerful cards.

But any other ideas would be welcome regarding this, such as "If you have a level 10 card and are entering a tournament for another level 10 card, you have to use the level 10 card" or something like that. That's just off the top of my head... I'm sure we can come up with other ideas!

Rantz
03-27-2012, 02:58 PM
On the other hand, if the Plus rule is used in a tournament for winning a lv 10 card, it increases the chances for someone who doesn't already have three lv 10 cards to win, which means more even distribution. :P

Ultima Shadow
03-27-2012, 03:16 PM
There could be some kind of point system in the tournaments.

Double elimination is almost always a better idea than single elimination in tournaments. If not double elimination, then I think each match should be played "best out of 3".

Anyhow, the point system could work the following way:

You get a set amount of points each time you win and lose a smaller amount of points each time you lose.

Let's say: Win = 2 points, Lose = -1 and Draw = 0.

Then, an additional number to your points is added equal to the highest level card you play with. So playing with a level 10 card = 10 additional points from the start.

The winner of the tournament get a card with a level equal to his/her total amount of points divided by 2. In this case, winning 5 matches and losing 0 and playing with a level 10 card would earn you 20 points, which would be the minimum requirement for getting another level 10 card.

...well, something like that. Just off the top of my head. :p

NorthernChaosGod
03-27-2012, 05:15 PM
I can't just postwhore to buy cards now? D:

Jiro
03-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Expect to have your bollocks crushed for attempting to do so.

Loony BoB
03-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Rantz: I guess that's worth considering too. That's why we should have tournaments for all types of rules, really. Helps everyone out and encourages different tactics when it comes to playing different cards. As for L10 cards, I guess we could just either allow more of them to be obtained over time or alternatively we could reset them every now and then (ie remove them all). Or just remove cards if they are not used as punishment for never using them? I dunno.

tournament stuff
There's an in-built system for tournaments in Triple Triad Pro that I'll experiment with in the coming weeks, but I don't know if it's fit for purpose as it only allows for up to eight individuals. Perhaps it would be better if we do things in similar ways to what you're suggesting. Personally I prefer knockout tournaments where you play a sudden death game and the winner goes through to the next round - nice and simple!

The combined thoughts of Rantz and yourself gave me another idea: We could have tournaments where you get a card that is L10, but if you have an L10 card and never play it, you get an L9 card instead...?

Of course, then there is always the option of people setting up challenges to other people, requesting a battle with both players using their L10 cards. Sort of like when two boxers put their belts on the line. They do it to see if they can get the other person's belt, while risking their own. Sometimes it's the only way to catch 'em all!

I'm worried about myself. Combining Triple Triad, boxing and Pokémon in one paragraph. =|

Ultima Shadow
03-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Or just remove cards if they are not used as punishment for never using them?
I actually like this idea. The card(s) must be used at least once every 10 battles against human opponents... or something like that. :greenie:

...that will also encourage people to challenge others over and over. =D

...as for the elimination tournament stuff, well yeah it depends on the size of the tournament. If it's just 8 people participating then a sudden death tournament is cool. But if you'd somehow be able to create a bigger - say 24 people - tournament, then I think double elimination is better. That's just me though - I'm more used to the double elimination system. :greenie:

And yeah, if two players have level 10 cards, then them having some kind of duel wouldn't be too surprising. The problem would just be that - most likely - only people who have a level 10 card of their own would get their challenge accepted. "If I win, I get your level 10 card and if you win, you get my level 8 card" ...probably wouldn't work.

Jiro
03-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Wager two of your cards then.

Ultima Shadow
03-27-2012, 10:35 PM
...yeeeah, I guess that might work. :p