PDA

View Full Version : EOFF SPRING CENSUS EXTRAVAGANZA!!!!!! Gameplay Edition!

Wolf Kanno
03-22-2012, 05:52 PM
That's right folks, it's time for a new census just in time for spring break and spring cleaning. Last time we did one on art and music, but as many as you know, I always feel that the poor gameplay gets left out so for this entry, we're doing pure gameplay style questions. You have TWO WEEKS from TODAY 3/22/2012 to get your entry in unless we decide to do an extension, so no loathing about.

Remember to send you entries to me by Mognet.

Here's the questions this round:

Username:
First FF:
Favorite FF*:
Least favorite FF*:

Favorite customization system (job,materia,sphere grid, etc...)
Best Job-System
Favorite boss
Favorite dungeon
Favorite optional boss
Favorite skill (steal, Gil Toss, Blitz, Devour, etc...)
Favorite limit break system
Favorite world map
Favorite form of travel
Favorite weapon
Favorite recurring summon
Favorite unique summon
Best character (gameplay)
Favorite battle system (turn based, ATB, CTB, ADB, CSB)
Favorite accessories
Favorite job
Favorite spell type (white, black, green, time, arcane, blue) -no summoner or red-

Least favorite customization system (job,materia,sphere grid, etc...)
Worst Job-System
Least favorite boss
Least favorite dungeon
Least favorite optional boss
Least favorite skill (steal, Gil Toss, Blitz, Devour, etc...)
Least favorite limit break system
Least favorite world map
Least favorite form of travel
Least favorite weapon
Least favorite recurring summon
Least favorite unique summon
Worst character (gameplay)
Least favorite battle system (turn based, ATB, CTB, ADB, CSB)
Least favorite accessories
Least favorite job
Least favorite spell type (white, black, green, time, arcane, blue) -no summoner or red-

* If you don't have an answer just say N/A

Most of it, is pretty self explanatory but I want you to remember these questions concern gameplay, so don't vote Cait Sith as best character cause he's a mechanical Scottish cat, you need to at least try to explain why he's such a bad ass to get best character. same with the summon questions and so forth. Bosses are also a gameplay question, so don't be going Kefka and Sephiroth cause they are badasses, I'm looking for interesting and challenging boss fights like Calcabrina or Garudo. Boss fights that standout because of their challenge and asking you not to just smash X.

As always, I would appreciate a little explanation to your choices, to not only try to understand your fuzzy logic but also so we can post the more amusing entries when we announce results. Have fun and remember, you have TWO WEEKS

VeloZer0
03-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Are we answering favorite FF from a gameplay perspective or favorite FF as a data point to measure the gameplay responses off of?

That and I assume you want these to continue to be sent to you as opposed to posted?

Jiro
03-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Sent in my answers! That was a challenge.

Wolf Kanno
03-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Are we answering favorite FF from a gameplay perspective or favorite FF as a data point to measure the gameplay responses off of?

That and I assume you want these to continue to be sent to you as opposed to posted?

Yes. ;)

**************************************************************************************

Already gotten a few in, and I'm surprised how unanimous some of the responses have been in the Least Favorite section. I'm also having a hard time not replying back to some of you and explaining why your opinion is wrong. :p

VeloZer0
03-22-2012, 11:07 PM

Yes. ;)
Well the joke is on you, once I realized the answer was the same for both questions!

having a hard time not replying back to some of you and explaining why your opinion is wrong.
O'rly?

Del Murder
03-23-2012, 03:35 AM
CAPS LOCK DEMANDS YOUR PARTICIPATION

Freya
03-23-2012, 09:28 AM
OOO okay I need to do this. But I'm terribly sleepy now! D: I'll do it in the morning I PROMISE KANNO! PINKY PROMISE!

Wolf Kanno
03-23-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm holding you to it. ;)

Slothy
03-23-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm also having a hard time not replying back to some of you and explaining why your opinion is wrong. :p

This is tempting me to send in the wrongest answers imaginable, but I think that would require me completely removing my sense of good taste to prevent me from banging my head on my desk until I died.

Jessweeee♪
03-23-2012, 03:18 PM
You know how much I like to upset you guys.

Slothy
03-23-2012, 03:26 PM
If it weren't for you being a constant disappointment, Jessweeee, the reveals would be terribly dull.

Wolf Kanno
03-23-2012, 05:46 PM
All right, as usual, I get one question that people seem to ignore the basic premise of the overall census and just vote whatever, so to clarify... Favorite Weapon is about gameplay, not aesthetics or just because it was "cool" I'm talking about weapons that are useful in gameplay terms and weapons types that perhaps you even look forward to acquiring in the actual game. Amusingly, the guilty parties got it right with Least favorite weapon funny enough. So the two people who voted Buster Sword as favorite weapon, either need to change their answers or send me a damn good mechanical reason for why it's the best weapon in it's games. I don't want a sentence either, I need a paragraph or two or I'm throwing it out.;)

Jiro
03-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Wolf Kanno, please respond to my mognet message. I wanna debate with you!

Freya
03-23-2012, 08:43 PM
That was hard! I don't pay enough attention to my favorite accessory or favorite weapon o.o

ScottyRedXIII
03-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Who do we send are answers to? Probably staring me in the face but I'm to bone Idol to look.......

Mercen-X
03-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Favorite Weapon is about gameplay, not aesthetics or just because it was "cool", I'm talking about weapons that are useful in gameplay terms and weapon types that perhaps you even look forward to acquiring in the actual game.

You should rename that to Most Useful Weapon, because Favorite is a matter of opinion and it seems you've already made up your mind about which weapons are the most useful. Besides, rarely is a weapon anymore useful than for it's combat potential in any installment.

Buster Sword may not have served a mechanical purpose in the game but served as a nexus connecting Cloud's past and present. If it wasn't important, it would have been a throw-away weapon like every single other item in the game. Barret's Gatling Gun-arm is the basis of his prostetic and while he can attach new parts to it, the Gatling Gun is apparently never removed thus it being an indispensable weapon as well.

In XII, the Sword of Kings and Treaty Blade are both used for cutting nethicite and are thus also key items.

If we were to realign the parameters to define most useful by realistic terms, all of the huge swords would be disqualified as no could realistically defend themselves or quickly dispatch enemies with such heavy equipment. Joke weapons (even if they are the most powerful in the game) would also be disqualified.

JKTrix
03-23-2012, 09:40 PM
I am not qualified to respond to this census, having only completed games in the Ivalice series and only briefly dabbled in a few others.

Wolf Kanno
03-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Who do we send are answers to? Probably staring me in the face but I'm to bone Idol to look.......

Send them to me by Mognet message. If you have already responded to a PM message concerning this that wasn't me, then you're good to go, cause I'll get it one way or the other. :D

Favorite Weapon is about gameplay, not aesthetics or just because it was "cool", I'm talking about weapons that are useful in gameplay terms and weapon types that perhaps you even look forward to acquiring in the actual game.

You should rename that to Most Useful Weapon, because Favorite is a matter of opinion and it seems you've already made up your mind about which weapons are the most useful. Besides, rarely is a weapon anymore useful than for it's combat potential in any installment.

I didn't put in most useful because then I would get nothing but Ultimate Weapon entries and I'm kind of hoping to get some more novel answers.

Buster Sword may not have served a mechanical purpose in the game but served as a nexus connecting Cloud's past and present. If it wasn't important, it would have been a throw-away weapon like every single other item in the game. Barret's Gatling Gun-arm is the basis of his prostetic and while he can attach new parts to it, the Gatling Gun is apparently never removed thus it being an indispensable weapon as well.

In XII, the Sword of Kings and Treaty Blade are both used for cutting nethicite and are thus also key items.

If we were to realign the parameters to define most useful by realistic terms, all of the huge swords would be disqualified as no could realistically defend themselves or quickly dispatch enemies with such heavy equipment. Joke weapons (even if they are the most powerful in the game) would also be disqualified.

You're over-thinking this dude :p

If you want to say a story based weapon, then I simply ask you give me an in-game mechanical reason when you give me your answer. There are valid reasons to say the Buster Sword from a purely mechanical standpoint that I am more than willing to accept. I just want to stick to the theme of gameplay for this census, so I am not accepting answers that simply say, "it looks cool".

I am not qualified to respond to this census, having only completed games in the Ivalice series and only briefly dabbled in a few others.

Go ahead, there are no "right answers*" and this census is for everyone, not just people who have played every entry and memorized guide books. Besides, more than often, a person's answer sticks to one or two games anyway so it's not like anyone can tell what your experience is with the franchise. Very, very few people ever have a really wide spectrum of answers, they mainly stick to their favorite game.

Wolf Kanno, please respond to my mognet message. I wanna debate with you!

That's what result announcements are for. ;)

*Well, yes, there is a "right answer" and that's whether I agree with you or not. :p

Gamblet
03-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Filling it right now!

Loony BoB
03-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Sent mine in. I'm sure WK will have me down as the most wrong of the wrongers in the wrong world. ;)

Madonna
03-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Nominating Wolf Kanno for Worst Knight Ever. Use the announcements, Luke.

Wolf Kanno
03-24-2012, 07:24 PM
^ Just means I'll actually win an award dealing with staff. NO ONE CAN BEAT THE TRIUMVIRATE OF JESWEEEEEEEEENOTE, FOA, AND PIKE!!!!!!! :omg:

Mercen-X
03-24-2012, 09:46 PM
I didn't put in most useful because then I would get nothing but Ultimate Weapon entries and I'm kind of hoping to get some more novel answers.

I think people would still be massively listing Ultima/te as the Favorite weapon. I'm also still unclear on your definition of "mechanical"

Wolf Kanno
03-24-2012, 11:39 PM
^ Actually, I have not gotten too many Ultimate Weapons as choices, though I was hoping for some more specific answers, I've been accepting general answers as well, such as I hate fist type weapons and I love guns.

As for mechanical, I'm referring to gameplay.

Example: I like the Flametongue cause it makes getting through the annoying Ice Cavern much easier.

Geeky Example: I love the Fixed Dice because it can easily do 5k+ damage and gets around the 1/2 power limiter on the Offering, meaning I can potentially deal four strikes of 9999hp damage with it.

Mechanical as in gameplay mechanics. Hope that clears it up. :D

Hollycat
03-24-2012, 11:58 PM
I think favorite weapon the way you are asking for it is unrealistic, to be fair my favorite weapon is genesis rhaphados, but you can't use it in battle since it is a boss's sword. I didn't say GR because I knew it would cheese you off.

Forsaken Lover
03-25-2012, 09:09 AM
How do things keep going to my blog when I post them in threads?

Stupid crap.

Anyway I sent in my votes.

Wolf Kanno
03-30-2012, 06:28 AM
Today is March 29th. Which means you now have one week to get your answers in for the census. I have about 20 entries so far, but I feel this number can be better. So get to it people. :p

Wolf Kanno
04-06-2012, 07:51 AM
W~POST!!!

Today is the last day to get your entries in. I've got Xenoblade Chronicles coming in today and I can't be bothered checking my mognet mail every day for a few stragglers :p

If you have voted, then please feel free to spam the email of anyone who hasn't... no I'm not going to tell you who voted, I JUST TOLD YOU, I'VE GOT XENOBLADE CHRONICLES TO PLAY!!!! Though I will give a banana sticker to anyone who can get Shlup, Shiny, Pike, and foa to get their entries in. We need some more estrogen in here ladies and all of you are on staff. Where's your support?! :mad2:

Pike
04-06-2012, 02:57 PM
I feel like I haven't played enough FF to answer all of these questions. In fact 1 & 2 are pretty much the only FFs I've played within the last ten years. That's really the only thing keeping me back, here. I can submit, but you'll get a bunch of blank answers :p

Edit: I'll announce this on the FB/Twitter though!

VeloZer0
04-06-2012, 04:43 PM
In fact 1 & 2 are pretty much the only FFs I've played within the last ten years.
Well I think the census has already identified your problem. ;)

Wolf Kanno
04-06-2012, 06:05 PM
I feel like I haven't played enough FF to answer all of these questions. In fact 1 & 2 are pretty much the only FFs I've played within the last ten years. That's really the only thing keeping me back, here. I can submit, but you'll get a bunch of blank answers :p

Edit: I'll announce this on the FB/Twitter though!

Some people have actually done that. I have at least two people I can think of off the top of my head, who maybe answered five questions and left everything else either blank or with smart ass answers. So go ahead. I would love to see an FFI-II centric entry. Old school titles don't get as much love as they should.

Mirage
04-06-2012, 10:06 PM
lol did i miss the census by a day again?

Wolf Kanno
04-07-2012, 09:49 AM
I've decided to extend the submission date until Noon Monday April 9th. I'm trapped with the family this weekend and won't be able to give XC the proper love until Tuesday anyway, so you have a two day extension for you people who can't be bothered like Shiny, whom I feel we should spam her mognet inbox until she does her administrative duty and participates for the good of the forum. :mymelontd:

Mirage
04-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Cool. that means I can procastrinate this another two days B)

Wolf Kanno
04-10-2012, 10:14 AM
It goes without saying but the Submission faze is over.

Pike
04-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Derp, I was going to do this and then I put it off and forgot. You're all allowed to make fun of me until the next census.

Gamblet
04-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Derp, I was going to do this and then I put it off and forgot. You're all allowed to make fun of me until the next census.

Jokes on you!

Jiro
04-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Pike is the first returner of everything else except the Census. WAY TO GO ROBOT, WAY TO BE ON YOUR A GAME :greenie: