PDA

View Full Version : Which game should I play next

VeloZer0
03-22-2012, 09:48 PM
I am feeling like getting into another FF title playthrough and was wondering which one. Here is what they have going for and against them:

FF2 - I got a decent way through until by game decided that it would let me go no further. The game crashes whenever I try to instigate the next quest. I am not particularly fond of this game so starting over doesn't appeal to me, but I would like to have completed it at least once. Another plus is that if I buy the FF:O on sale on PSN atm I might be able to continue from my old save game.

FF6 - I've played it a million times, but not in several years

FF8 - Is listed there just because it completes the list of games I haven't beaten. You can vote if you want, but I am not playing it.

FF12 - It's been almost six years, I guess it could deserve a second chance.

*votes in poll may not matter.

Jinx
03-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Anything but VIII, dear god.

Jessweeee♪
03-22-2012, 09:59 PM
FFVIII is great, but if you really feel that way then I suggest FFXII. I didn't like FFXII very much the first time around, but it grew on me and now it's one of my favorites!

Flying Arrow
03-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Another vote for XII. If you really hate VIII, I doubt there's any reason playing it again now will change your mind.

Quindiana Jones
03-22-2012, 10:33 PM
I also say XII, simply because it's the only one that deserves a vote. II doesn't deserve it because there's no guarantee of some enjoyment, VI doesn't deserve it (kind of) because it's a favourite, VIII doesn't deserve it because it's shit in a vomit bucket, so that leaves us with only one option.

Play XII or I'll shank you. O_O

Wolf Kanno
03-22-2012, 11:00 PM
I'm voting for XII as well, but you knew I would. ;)

Though I feel FFII also deserves a second chance, though I would recommend playing FFVI on the side to relieve blood pressure. I don't have any ill feelings towards VIII and I'm actually surprised you never finished it, but you've already said you wouldn't bother so I am not going to waste your time.

VeloZer0
03-22-2012, 11:05 PM
though I would recommend playing FFVI on the side
I would love to have enough spare time to play games on the side. :p As it is I don't play games to fill time, I have to make time to play games.

and I'm actually surprised you never finished it,
I was very close. Got right to then end where it locks you out of all the towns and said to hell with it. Had that save file not been lost (PC version) I probably would have gone back and finished it, but I'm not doing the whole thing again and using someone else save kind of feels like cheating.

Loony BoB
03-23-2012, 03:43 PM
FFII was torture for me, personally. I really didn't enjoy the gameplay and the story, well, I can't remember much if any of what story there was and I think that says it all, really. I only played it in the past year or so.

FFVI I'm playing right now, but if you've already played it a million times then I would opt against playing it again. You may as well experience something new, even if it's just the last 10% of a game.

FFVIII would be my #1 suggestion (and I will throw my vote away) purely because it has a lot of good gameplay and it's extremely easy to finish. You don't have to enjoy the story or the characters - just focus on the gameplay. Make a murderous killing machine out of your characters, come up with funky junction combinations, limit your menu to commands that are weird if you like to do that sort of thing, play lots of Triple Triad... whatever you like, really. If you just want to finish the game, get to the last dungeon and then turn the Laguna card into 100 Heroes and walk through to the end without even thinking. It's the easiest of the series to complete.

FFXII was a great game and if you haven't completed it at least twice I'd say it's worth another playthrough. You might want to play a third time for a more 'complete' game, but I found that leveling to the point that you can have a complete game is very tedious when you don't have random battles and experience can come slow. It's my #2 choice of the options you listed, though.

In short...
FFVIII - You may not like the game but hopefully you can enjoy the gameplay and finish another of the series.
FFXII - A great game worth at least two playthroughs.
FFII - I actually don't like the game but it goes ahead of VI purely because of how often you've played VI.
FFVI - If you've already played it 'a million times' then there is no need to play it again ahead of other games you've not played as much / haven't finished.

Jiro
03-24-2012, 06:54 PM
I would've voted VIII but obviously you aren't going to play it so...

Raistlin
03-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Another vote for XII.

Del Murder
03-26-2012, 08:17 PM
I pick VIII because it's not really that bad and you should finish it for completeness purposes! Even though you won't. In fact, especially since you won't.