PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania!

KentaRawr!
03-23-2012, 01:38 AM
So, I've been on a bit of a Castlevania rush lately (again), and I realized I still have my old password from beating Dracula on normal mode with Syfa and Trevor. So, I figured I'd start off from there and go for another run, on hard mode.

This game is seriously kicking my ass. I realized that on your second run you can't pick up new characters, which is a huge bummer because I would've loved to try some stages with Grant! But I actually went into the huge clocktower, fought Grant, watched him die, and had to go back through the tower with no Grant. ;-; Sad face.

Then I figured "Hey, maybe it's because I used him in my previous playthrough! He can't join me twice, right?" and continued onward, until I had a choice between the stage where you get Syfa and where you get Alucard. I already had Syfa, so to Alucard I went! The stage was kinda tough, but not too tough by any means, and Alucard himself was a total pushover! But it made me bummed out when he just keeled over and died. I wanted to recruit him and his flying abilities! But no matter. Trevor alone is good enough, and Syfa is pretty okay if you get the right spells! So onward I went. Now I'm at stage 7.

URRRRRRGHHHHHHHH STAGE 7

Before, I took a different path, so this stage 7 is completely different from what I conquered before. Falling blocks is the name of the game. Falling blocks and flying skeletons trying to push you into the depths!! I managed to reach the top of the stage, but then a spider threw its offspring at me. :(

I love Castlevania 3.

Anyway, what is your favorite Castlevania, and why? Also, do you prefer Classicvania, or Metroidvania?

Del Murder
03-23-2012, 03:50 AM
Metroidvania for sure. Symphony of the Night is the best game. Used to fight with my brothers over control of that game. The GBA ones are great too.

Sephex
03-23-2012, 03:59 AM
I know I am going with a tired and true opinion, but I prefer Metroidvania type Castlevania game. Of course, my favorite is Symphony of the Night, but the Game Boy Advance and DS games were quite fun, espeically both Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Souls.

Also, funny related comic I found awhile ago. Spoiler because of size.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/1258009306709.png

Del Murder
03-23-2012, 05:48 AM
Enough talk.

VeloZer0
03-23-2012, 06:03 AM
Metroidvania games are the only ones in the series I like. And much like the entirety of the fanbase SotN is my favorite entry.

I can't say I dislike any of the metroidvania syle entries, they are probably my biggest draw on the portable Nintendo machines.

theundeadhero
03-23-2012, 11:19 AM
I really enjoyed the original and Lament of Innocence on ps2.

krissy
03-23-2012, 09:18 PM
sotn
and aria of sorrow are my faves

Flying Arrow
03-26-2012, 01:39 AM
Symphony is probably my favourite. I'm not the biggest Castlevania fan or anything, but I have played a number of the Metroidvanias and really like some of the old school games too (III, IV, Bloodlines, etc). Dawn of Sorrow is probably my second favourite Metroidvania, although what drags it down is the random drop mechanics. I hate random drop farming, and Konami went and made it one of the core mechanics in the game. Ugh.

I also have a soft spot for Castlevania 64 (yes the one everyone hates). It's not at all a bad game, and it was genuinely creepy in parts. I still remember really digging that villa level and I wish another game in the series could do something like that. I also played Lords of Shadow not too long ago. I don't recommend it to anyone.

Sometimes I really, really wish there could be a great 3D Castlevania game on modern consoles and I wonder why Konami haven't been able to put it together. But then I realize that there are two absolutely amazing Castlevania games on the PS3: Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

So,

Fave 2D entry: Symphony of the Night
Fave 3D entry: Dark Souls

Edge7
03-26-2012, 02:01 AM
I adore the original castlevania; probably one of my favorite games. As for my absolute favorite, I'd go with Dawn of Souls; random drop farming aside, it basically improved everything I loved with Aria of Sorrow (a game I've played so much, I practically know the layout of Dracula's Castle). I've played a little of Order of Ecclesia, and I think that one's pretty kickass- it has the feel of metroidvania, but the difficulties of one of the classic games.

VeloZer0
03-26-2012, 02:03 AM
But then I realize that there are two absolutely amazing Castlevania games on the PS3: Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.
Very nice. :hattip:

black orb
03-27-2012, 02:16 AM
>>> Symphony of the Night and Lament of Innocence are my favs, I have to play the PS3 one yet..:luca: