PDA

View Full Version : Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On

Pike
03-23-2012, 05:47 AM
Have you ever been in an earthquake?

I was in one, once, about ten years back or so. It was very mild. I was sitting at my computer and for about three seconds I felt like I was rocking back and forth ever so slightly and I noticed some of the things on my bookshelf were doing the same thing. Then it was over just as quickly as it had begun! Boring I know, but maybe some of you guys have more interesting stories? :kakapo:

NorthernChaosGod
03-23-2012, 07:07 AM
I live in Southern California, so yes. I'm pretty sure I've told you guys this story before, but I can tell it again for my bro's thread.

Easter 2010, I was at the park with my family having a grand ol' time (booze was involved). After having a few, the ground starts to shake. I start to think that I've gone soft and gotten drunk already, but then people start freaking out and running out from under the gazebos.

Turns out there was a 7.2 magnitude earthquake down in Baja that lasted a pretty long time.

Freya
03-23-2012, 07:17 AM
Yeah. There was one here a few months ago, in Nov I think? I was drunk at the time moving form my bed to the computer and the whole house started shaking. I thought "I'm not that drunk am I?" Turns out I wasn't! The earth just didn't want to stay still!

Agent Proto
03-23-2012, 07:20 AM
There was an earthquake that happened around here last year. Because of that, the Washington Monument in DC has started to sink and is closed indefinitely to visitors. It's now turning into our version of the Leaning Tower.

NorthernChaosGod
03-23-2012, 07:40 AM
There was an earthquake that happened around here last year. Because of that, the Washington Monument in DC has started to sink and is closed indefinitely to visitors. It's now turning into our version of the Leaning Tower.
If I start seeing pictures of people "holding" it up at all in my lifetime, I'm going to get a high-powered rifle and start picking people off that visit it.

Bunny
03-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Like NCG, I lived in Southern California for something like 12 years. I experienced my fair share of earthquakes and I think I slept through all but one of them.

Unlike NCG, I won't be spending the next 12 years in a maximum security prison for making weak threats over the internet.

Miriel
03-23-2012, 08:34 AM
I live in Southern California, so yes. I'm pretty sure I've told you guys this story before, but I can tell it again for my bro's thread.

It seems like I've experienced more earthquakes in the 3 years living in the Bay Area than in 22 years of living in Southern California.

Earthquakes never used to rattle me, I would just shrug and continue on. But jesus, it's like a constant thing up here and it makes me nervous as smurf. Just the other week we had TWO earthquakes right beneath us and back to back, so it was just one long shaking mess. It was at 5AM and Del Murder and I ran out of bed and dived under our kitchen table (where we keep essentials like bottled water). Unfortunately, we haven't rehearsed earthquake drills with our dog, so she got confused and refused to come under the table. Imagine if that had been THE BIG ONE, she might have died!

Sephex
03-23-2012, 11:58 AM
In Illinois, quakes are rare, but they do happen. They are much smaller and sometimes you don't even notice them. When I was a kid, one happened and my dad came running outside to tell me. I thought he was joking.

About 8 years ago another one happened. I was on the computer and I heard a rumbling. I frankly thought something fell over in my room upstairs, but it was just the house slightly shaking. All local people on my AIM started to talk about the quake right away. It was pretty cool.

Chris
03-23-2012, 12:20 PM
I was six and sleeping comfortably in a hotel in Manila. Things went haywire, and we all ran out of the hotel. It was a fairly disturbing experience for a spoiled Scandinavian brat.

Jinx
03-23-2012, 12:54 PM
This thread would've been better if it had've been titled "Shake it Like a Polaroid Picture."

magewarrior
03-23-2012, 01:33 PM
The last earthquake we had was about 2 years ago, I think it was a 4.9magnitude just north of here. It didn't last very long either. I know it was broadcasted on the news later that day. There was minimal damage to the city but a lot of people were a little shaken up by the whole thing. Including myself. Earthquakes are very rare around here :/

Pike
03-23-2012, 03:04 PM
This thread would've been better if it had've been titled "Shake it Like a Polaroid Picture."

But "There's a Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On" is a much classier song! And I am all about class.

fire_of_avalon
03-23-2012, 03:52 PM
We've had a two three small ones here over the last 10 years or so. I have slept through them all.

sharkythesharkdogg
03-23-2012, 05:36 PM
The only big earthquake around here was the Charleston earthquake in 1886.

The science still doesn't really know what the hell they're doing when it comes to trying to predict earthquakes, but I think they put Charleston's earthquake rotation at around 250 years. I guess I won't be feeling any earthquakes any time soon.

Jiro
03-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Australia doesn't get many earthquakes due to its position on tectonic plates. There have been a few off the coast of NQueensland and a few towards the southern states, but I've never had to deal with an earthquake.

Raistlin
03-23-2012, 09:30 PM
My only earthquake was the one that hit the east coast last August. I was near the heart of it... and hardly felt anything.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqfs3iEZ631qzppjio1_500.jpg

Shlup
03-23-2012, 11:46 PM
I've only experienced one earthquake where I felt the need to seek cover. Mostly because my babysitter told me to; I was like six. Her son cried and I made fun of him.