PDA

View Full Version : So am I going to get in big trouble for this?

Pike
03-25-2012, 05:59 AM
I work at a store and today some guy came through my line with a PS Vita and a coupon for $200 off of it. I was kind of dubious at first, but the coupon looked legit as far as I could tell, so I scanned it in and this guy got himself a new PS Vita for $50.

The more I think about it, the more I think I shouldn't have taken the coupon. :|

What do you guys think my odds of getting in big trouble tomorrow are? xD

Peegee
03-25-2012, 06:12 AM
I work at a store and today some guy came through my line with a PS Vita and a coupon for $200 off of it. I was kind of dubious at first, but the coupon looked legit as far as I could tell, so I scanned it in and this guy got himself a new PS Vita for $50.

The more I think about it, the more I think I shouldn't have taken the coupon. :|

What do you guys think my odds of getting in big trouble tomorrow are? xD

you. you of all people. sigh.

well whatever's done is done.

Freya
03-25-2012, 06:18 AM
Hey if it scanned in the comp and worked, and it was valid xD what can you do?

fire_of_avalon
03-25-2012, 06:31 AM
If I remember correctly Sony vouchers have iridescent/holographic seals on them and some other signifying things. It's not unheard of that people get those kinds of things but it's extremely unlikely.

That being said I had a $400.00 coupon fraud in my old store once and no one got canned.

Pike
03-25-2012, 06:32 AM

I don't get it.

That being said I had a $400.00 coupon fraud in my old store once and no one got canned.

Mostly I'm on edge because my particular store has fired like six people over the last two months. xD

Jessweeee♪
03-25-2012, 07:16 AM
Good luck D:

Bunny
03-25-2012, 07:37 AM
You probably should have checked with your manager beforehand but if the computer scanned it I don't see how you could get in serious trouble.

Jiro
03-25-2012, 08:22 AM
You're a robot. Scan it yourself first.

sharkythesharkdogg
03-25-2012, 02:12 PM

I don't get it.

I think (assume) it was some gentle teasing. A nod to your years of retail experience

Mostly I'm on edge because my particular store has fired like six people over the last two months. xD

As long as you can prove that you went through the proper store procedures I don't think there's much they could do. They might not be happy, but your job should be safe.

Pike
03-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I was really worried about this last night, hence the thread xD

After I had accepted the coupon and thought about it for five minutes I found one of the managers and showed it to her. She looked at it rather quizzically but had no other comment. Hopefully the cash office people have a similar reaction because they just love to rip into me for things xD

Peegee
03-25-2012, 04:48 PM
i posted what i posted because i thought you were familiar with these types of threads:

http://s14.postimage.org/jhg374u3j/Untitled.png

anyway it looks like no worries.

Madame Adequate
03-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Wait if the computer accepted it and a manager didn't tell you off then the situation seems to me to be a good deal less worrisome than I had thought! It was accepted by a mechanical arbiter, and you didn't try to hide anything from anyone.

Pike
03-25-2012, 05:10 PM
i posted what i posted because i thought you were familiar with these types of threads:

http://s14.postimage.org/jhg374u3j/Untitled.png

anyway it looks like no worries.

Nope, I don't go to /b/.

Also those coupons are the exact type of coupon that I accepted, right down to the design and the "Smartsource" logo. Boy I just can't wait to get fired! :joker:

EDIT: "Sony Computer Entertainment America, LLC Does Not Issue Coupons. Retailers should not accept any coupons that claim to be issued by Sony under any circumstances." awesome, wish I had known this yesterday :monster:

Sephex
03-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Yikes. Hopefully you'll be alright!

DMKA
03-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Is it a chain store?

If so, I wouldn't worry about it. :P

Værn
03-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Something like that happened around here a while back. If I recall correctly, they merely told their employees to stop taking coupons, and the whole situation has never been mentioned again since then.

drotato
03-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Oh dear God. D:

PRAY, PRAY FOR YOUR JOB.

Nah, I dunno... It might not be so bad. At least you still got 50 bucks out of it. <. <;;

NorthernChaosGod
03-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Well now I know those coupons actually work.

Jiro
03-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Well we know how NCG is getting discounts from now on.

Madame Adequate
03-25-2012, 11:29 PM
For those not on her FB Steph posted that her work believes the coupon is legit so she didn't get into trouble for it.

She got into trouble for something else instead :monster: But at least she's not fired!

drotato
03-26-2012, 12:14 AM
Lawl.
Well good. (:

Sephex
03-26-2012, 12:30 AM
Well, I am glad it worked out. Sucks that she is still in trouble for something else, though.

NorthernChaosGod
03-26-2012, 02:19 AM
Well we know how NCG is getting discounts from now on.

Damn straight. /smug

Pike
03-26-2012, 05:34 AM
Okay, some updates!

Firstly Hux is correct, work decided that the coupon is legit, which I am... seriously doubting, but hey, who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth?

Then a couple hours later, the guy who had used the coupon last night came in with a really sheepish look on his face and returned the PS Vita. He said that he'd been "thinking" and he decided that it was a fake coupon and didn't "want the FBI to come knocking"-- his words.

So I returned it and it's all a non-issue now. I can relax~ :shobon:

Freya
03-26-2012, 05:37 AM
Wow. He came back? How..... Odd.

Araciel
03-26-2012, 05:41 AM
What a dope

Madame Adequate
03-26-2012, 05:58 AM
My theory on MSN was this:

>he prints this coupon off /b/
>goes home
>posts some proof pic of it
>someone is all "I'm reporting you to the FBI fucko, enjoy 8 years in federal prison for fraud"
>he shits himself and brings it back

NorthernChaosGod
03-26-2012, 07:27 AM
That seems to be plausible enough.

Jiro
03-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Internet justice, I guess. At least it provided some entertainment for us.

CloudDragon
03-26-2012, 08:50 AM
New question. If you were in the same situation, could you have been able to take the PS Vita back? I don't think I would've knowing that a store accepted it already har har har. And hoping I paid in cash and not credit.

Værn
03-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Perhaps the culprit is a member of this very forum, and returned it after seeing how much Pike was panicking about it.
but perhaps NCG may have an idea who it may have been :shifty:

Loony BoB
03-26-2012, 11:49 AM
When I saw on Facebook that the $200 was supposedly legit (amusing that it actually isn't, by the way), I could think of nothing but "wtf I want one NOW where do I get my freaking high power coupon of amazing magical love" but now I'm all "Oh :(".

Pike, can you give me a cheap Vita? Pretty please?

Pike
03-26-2012, 03:15 PM
New question. If you were in the same situation, could you have been able to take the PS Vita back? I don't think I would've knowing that a store accepted it already har har har. And hoping I paid in cash and not credit.

This guy paid on his debit card, which I think may have influenced his decision to bring it back. xD

Anyways I think what's going to happen is that the store is going to try to send in the coupon and discover it's fake after the fact. But since everyone thought it was real, I can't get in trouble :monster:

Peegee
03-26-2012, 03:33 PM
What a doofus. Milf's hypothesis is hilarious btw.

Raistlin
03-26-2012, 05:19 PM
This guy paid on his debit card, which I think may have influenced his decision to bring it back. xD

*facepalm*

drotato
03-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Wow, what a surprise. He must have been a little... Cookoo to begin with.

NorthernChaosGod
03-26-2012, 11:38 PM
If I ever actually used those fake coupons, I would never pay with a card.

I wouldn't have returned it, because I wouldn't have done this in the first place.

One time when I was waiting tables at the old restaurant, I gave some people back more many than they were supposed to get, because I closed out the wrong table. I even counted out the money in front of them, and they took it all. So, $50 came out of my tips that night.

tl;dr I know how it feels to be screwed over, so I don't.

I'm glad everything turned out okay, Pike.
I think that's just a bit different though. :p

Jinx
03-27-2012, 12:00 AM
It's different, but my point is that when you do something shitty, you screw over other people.

Yar
03-29-2012, 02:11 AM
Meh if it was legit you should have just taken it to the next store over... Assuming no one there knows you :jess:

Shiny
03-29-2012, 03:01 AM
I thought most companies only accepted gift cards -- never coupons. Now I know I can get away with forged coupons. O_o

I'm okay with screwing over major corporations. They don't need more of my money. /honesty

Good that you didn't get fired though Pike and good that he brought it back although for his balls he should've kept it. Too bad he wasn't clever enough to pay with cash instead of his card.

Peegee
03-29-2012, 04:03 PM
The infuriating (not to Piku) thing is he used his DEBIT card; means he had the money to pay in cash the whole time.

>jackiechan.mp3