PDA

View Full Version : Was 2012 rather top-heavy?

Loony BoB
03-26-2012, 11:34 AM
It seems like all the video games I was really looking forward to this year have already been released! I'm used to having a lot more to look forward to, usually a game every 1-2 months, but this year I've had FFXIII-2, ME3 and Journey - the three games I probably was looking forward to most this year - all finished before the end of March. Gutting. :(

There's still Tomb Raider at some point which I'm hoping will be good, and Halo 4 too, but other than that I'm thinking I may have to rely on older games or FFXIV to keep me going this year. Do you feel the same way this year? Is there much you're still really looking forward to?

Shattered Dreamer
03-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Max Payne 3, Borderlands 2, Prototype 2, Devil May Cry HD Collection, Metal Gear Rising: Revengence & Resident Evil 6 don't tickle your fancy then Loony BoB?

Slothy
03-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Plus Assassin's Creed 3. Not sure off hand what else still has to come out this year though besides what Shattered Dreamer mentioned.

VeloZer0
03-26-2012, 11:57 AM
I haven't felt the need to buy a single new game this year, so no.

Loony BoB
03-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Max Payne 3, Borderlands 2, Prototype 2, Devil May Cry HD Collection, Metal Gear Rising: Revengence & Resident Evil 6 don't tickle your fancy then Loony BoB?
Don't follow any of those series, nor Assassin's Creed! If I were to play them, I'd want to play the first game first. Which could mean more gaming for me, I guess, and cheaper if the former games go down enough in price.

We still have Resistance 3 to play but haven't touched it for ages, so there's always that. But I think I'm really after some kind of adventure game at the moment... maybe I'll buy Arkham City or something. Or just go back to playing Football Manager 2012 or FFXIV.

Pike
03-26-2012, 03:19 PM
The games I am excited about this year are:

Crusader Kings 2
XCOM
SimCity 5
Assassin's Creed 3

Only one of those is out so far (CK2), so there's still some juice in the year for me :hyper:

DMKA
03-26-2012, 03:46 PM
I still have Assassin's Creed III, BioShock Infinite, Darksiders II, DmC: Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy X HD, Resident Evil 6 and Tomb Raider. That's all I can think of that I'm looking forward to this year.

Jessweeee♪
03-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Looking forward to Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider. I only just now started Brotherhood though xD

There are a few Vita titles that have my interest, but I don't expect to own a Vita within the year.

NeoCracker
03-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Gaming has been pretty slow this year in general.

Twisted Metal, Kingdoms of Amalur, Devil Survivor 2 have all come out already, and all I have left are Lolipop Chainsaw and Borderlands 2. ;_;

Shattered Dreamer
03-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Don't follow any of those series, nor Assassin's Creed! If I were to play them, I'd want to play the first game first. Which could mean more gaming for me, I guess, and cheaper if the former games go down enough in price.

We still have Resistance 3 to play but haven't touched it for ages, so there's always that. But I think I'm really after some kind of adventure game at the moment... maybe I'll buy Arkham City or something. Or just go back to playing Football Manager 2012 or FFXIV.

I recommend Borderlands if you are going to check out any of those series. It's a fun FPS RPG with great co-op multiplayer. I don't think it got enough credit when it was first released. It is one of my favourite games & I'm not much of an FPS player to be honest. You should be able to pick up a copy of the GOTY edition for about $20 I'd wager.

VeloZer0
03-26-2012, 04:40 PM
I'll second that about Borderlands. I would give it a look especially if you are not into FPS games.

Wolf Kanno
03-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Not really, 2012 hasn't even begun for me. I have Xenoblade Chronicles next month, The Last Story and Persona 4: The Arena for summer, and Assassin Creed 3 for the fall/winter. Not to mention I'm still trying to finish all the great games that came out late in 2011, so I'm good. :p

Not to mention, I still think it's highly possible that Final Fantasy Type-0 may finally get a Western release this year, though I'm expecting late fall early winter. I just hope they actually release the PSP version because I'm not buying a Vita until it starts having a better list of games available for it.

Pete for President
03-26-2012, 05:00 PM
No mention of the Last Guardian yet? Or did I miss something and did it get cancelled/delayed?

Anyway, I'll be getting my 2012 games from the budget bins at some point since I've got my sights set on some classics like Ace Combat 5 and the original Deus Ex, as well as Dark Souls which has dropped in price about now. That should keep me busy while I wait for the price to drop on SSX. Will get Journey a.s.a.p. though.

Other than that, not really looking forward to any other games.

edczxcvbnm
03-26-2012, 05:17 PM
This happens every year. Some big series delay their release beyond the holiday sales time because they are a big enough series to where they probably are not going to gain main sales by going up against everything else during the Late October/November/December time frame. Sometimes these games just seem bigger than others.

Personally speaking, this year has yet to begin for me in terms of gaming.

Simcity 5
Assassin's Creed III
BioShock Infinite
Rainbow 6: Something Something
Xenoblade Chronicles
Borderlands 2
Trails HD 2 or whatever it is called
Halo 4
Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm
Diablo III

It isn't all that top heavy and there will be other games that have yet to be announced that will make surprise splashes come the Holidays.

I am not mentioning the Last Guardian because that game will come on out when it is done an no one has any idea of when that will be. It was suppose to be 2010 initially and I think I heard 2013 someplace already. No one has any clue anymore.

DMKA
03-26-2012, 05:37 PM
No mention of the Last Guardian yet? Or did I miss something and did it get cancelled/delayed?
Yeah, Fumito Ueda (the guy who served as the director and lead designer of Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and until a couple months ago, The Last Guardian) isn't working for Sony anymore, and is now just a consultant on the project rather than the head honcho, which has thrown the whole project into unpredictability and no one knows when it will come out now. Last month they basically said due to the circumstances, the game isn't anywhere near a point where they can consider a release date.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a release this year, which is why I didn't mention it.

Mirage
03-26-2012, 05:54 PM
I don't agree with Loony :p.

I'm still looking forwards to:
Zone of the Enders HD collection
Dead or Alive 5
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown
FFX HD
Assassin's Creed 3
Tekken X Street Fighter
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Tomb Raider

Oh yeah and lollipop chainsaw.

Del Murder
03-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Of all the games mentioned in this thread, the only ones I care about are Xenoblade and Last Story. I liked the first Borderlands, but I probably won't play part 2 for a while, unless I get really bored. But so far I still need to play already released blockbusters such as God of War III, Uncharted 3, Arkham City, and Mass Effect 3. Plus I'd like to check out the Assassin's Creed series at some point. That should be enough to keep me busy.

Loony BoB
03-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Sim City (5) won't be out until 2013.

The Last Story I'd be excited about if I had a Wii. :(

The Last Guardian I'm interested in, but it's not an "omg must buy" game for me. I've started Ico twice and barely got far at all, so I might eventually get around to it. Maybe I'll spend my spare time this year playing that, finally, to the end!

Slothy
03-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Yeah, Fumito Ueda (the guy who served as the director and lead designer of Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and until a couple months ago, The Last Guardian) isn't working for Sony anymore, and is now just a consultant on the project rather than the head honcho, which has thrown the whole project into unpredictability and no one knows when it will come out now. Last month they basically said due to the circumstances, the game isn't anywhere near a point where they can consider a release date.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a release this year, which is why I didn't mention it.

This basically. I remain hopeful that it will still be worth playing, but I'm not letting my hopes get to high.

Ueda leaving mid project was easily some of the most disappointing news I've heard in years.

Pike
03-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Sim City (5) won't be out until 2013.

Dang, I hate waiting. :(

black orb
03-27-2012, 12:47 AM
>>> The Last Story and Xenoblade, FFX HD too but I dont know if that one is coming this year..:luca:

Flying Arrow
03-27-2012, 10:07 PM
I picked up Journey, but really only because there's nothing else for me at the moment. I liked it enough. The end was amazing but all the actual levels and platforming leading up to it didn't seem all that interesting as levels or platforming.

I haven't played XIII-2, ME3, or anything else out of disinterest. I knew coming into 2012 that it would more or less be totally dry for me, although I am definitely looking forward to getting my hands on Xenoblade when I borrow my friend's Wii next month. Other than that, eh. I guess I can't complain considering the back half of 2011 gave me Deus Ex 3, Dark Souls, Batman, and Skyrim all within a two and a half month span.

Old Manus
03-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Metal Gear Rising: RevengeanceOh my God, so it wasn't just a terrible dream I had. That is actually the name of a game.

Shiny
03-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Assassin's Creed III and The Last of Us are on my radar.

I will be purchasing Mass Effect 3 at the end of April and I will play Uncharted 3 at some point even though I don't own a PS3. I heard the multilayer on ME3 isn't worth it though so I'll doubt I'll be messing about with that too much.

Mirage
03-28-2012, 03:59 PM
I was going to list the last of us, but apparently, it's scheduled for 2013