PDA

View Full Version : Elderly People.

drotato
03-26-2012, 06:32 PM
I know most old people have like this... Database of knowledge or whatever. But sometimes they can be really annoying and overbearing.

My grandparents are basically trying to tell me how to raise Den and I'm just like... "YOU ARE CLOSE MINDED, SHE WILL BE OKAY, I AM GOOD MOTHER."

Plus, they are like, Jesus freaks, and incorporate God into everything... Which gets annoying for me, considering I'm not Christian.

Discuss; Annoyances of old people, how they can be close minded, and how one day we will also be old, annoying farts.

drotato
03-26-2012, 06:37 PM
"We like our coffee hot like we like our men!"

Lollollol.

Unfortunately, my grandparents aren't really funny. xD
They do funny stuff sometimes, but... Mostly just annoying stuff. :)

Madonna
03-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Older people are set in their ways because they have a large body of experience to back up their views. Young people are set in their ways because a lack of experience means they never learned to try something different.

While you can gripe about how you dislike an older generation for having the great idea of passing on some (all, as this case may be) knowledge, recognize they are trying to help. What you can do as a young person is listen to them and then pick-and-choose the best bits of advice, leaving the worst well-alone.

Unbreakable Will
03-26-2012, 06:51 PM
I find that hipsters and old people are a lot alike. Here's a chart:

drotato
03-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Well, I know... I don't actually gripe about them all the time, at all. I appreciate them, and all they are trying to do for me. It just gets overbearing sometimes. /:

I understand though, that the younger generation often thinks they know everything. I will admit here and now that I don't think I know everything, not in the slightest. o. o
I take the advice they give that is good, and just kinda ignore the advice I know won't work for me. But it's frustrating at times, because they are constantly giving their opinions. xDDD

EDIT: LAWL, Will. Thank you for that laugh. xDDD

Old Manus
03-26-2012, 08:12 PM
I imagine that your misuse of the italic tag means everything you say has emphasis on every syllable. A bit like some kind of unholy union of Lloyd Grossman (what happened to that guy?) and Jeremy Clarkson.

Freya
03-26-2012, 08:46 PM
I hate old people as a collective group. There are sooooo many around my area. They can't drive which causes me to get road rage. I never had road rage until I moved here. They are always just around at whatever stores. They have nothing to do so they are just at stores and in the way for their one item. It's frustrating! GO HOME. They are like teenagers. Teenagers mill around in the stores too. Anyone between those ages isn't there unless they need to be. Ugh. They ruined my Birthday once when I was 13 with their RV convention. My family always took us out on our Bdays for dinner and we couldn't go anywhere cause a stupid RV convention was in town. Stupid old people.

But individually, they're alright. I like some of them. Cept they just talk talk talk talk my ear off when I have things to do. They catch me leaving somewhere like, I work in a nursery at a church on sundays, they catch me in the parking lot and I have to stand there and talk for 20 mins. :/ Old people ugh

krissy
03-26-2012, 08:50 PM
i will be mackin on nursing staff at the nursing home once i'm there
and i will be as closed minded as possible

"meta furries are a scourge on society,
para digital theory of marriage is ruining the sanctity of pansexualism."

that will be me

Jessweeee♪
03-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I pick and choose what to listen to when it comes to old people. My supervisor always has relationship advice for me.

1. Don't mother your man. - Okay that is decent advice even if I don't really follow it.
2. A man should take care of you. - This I don't like, it goes both ways or neither. And it contradicts what my mother has taught me ever since I was too young to know wtf she was talking about: Always support yourself. No matter how perfect your husband/boyfriend is, always work to make sure you can stand on your own.

Sephex
03-26-2012, 10:04 PM
My Grandpa tends to think he is always right to the point where he could save the world from all its problems. Not even exaggerating. Before he stopped driving, he actually went downtown and gave some news anchor a copy of some book (not published) he wrote.

Chris
03-26-2012, 10:36 PM
My dad is much older than my mom and he turns 80 in a month. Yes, I do get slightly annoyed by him, mainly because he insists on doing things the way he's always done them, and that is fine, if he lived in a cave by himself.

We all have to make compromises to get along somewhat peacefully, and it's not like he is purposefully trying to be difficult, but it's not easy to compromise on 70+ years of experience and habits. I sometimes think that he must be right. What do I know? He's lived through and experienced the birth of modern culture, and me? Only the birth of MTV, which really hinders my standpoint when I get into a discussion with him.

Jiro
03-26-2012, 10:59 PM
My grandparents are awesome, it's just every other old person that seems to think I'm one of those darn youngsters with their playboxes and their facespaces and their rock n roll music

Shlup
03-27-2012, 12:17 AM
I love elderly people. I just got off the phone with my grandpa. He's trying to convince me that restaurants play background noise of people talking to make it loud. He hates loud places.

Chris
03-27-2012, 12:32 AM
I love elderly people. I just got off the phone with my grandpa. He's trying to convince me that restaurants play background noise of people talking to make it loud. He hates loud places.
Some actually do and in a variety of languages, too. We did that at my old work place. :p

Shlup
03-27-2012, 12:39 AM
What?! You lie.

Chris
03-27-2012, 01:13 AM
I wish. It was a rather seedy place, so it is not that surprising. And that wasn't even the worst of it. The staff ate more than they ever sold, and even leftovers from the costumers. Ah, I was young and needed money. :cool:

Phoenix Rising
03-27-2012, 01:59 AM
I find that hipsters and old people are a lot alike. Here's a chart:

lol that was great, I'm totally going to have to show my friend this since it totally describes her (minus the glasses).

As for the question the OP posed, I don't really have any examples. I don't really know enough old people, but if I had to choose I would say that old people are too religious.

drotato
03-27-2012, 03:36 AM
Apparently italics hurt anus' eyes, so I'll stop doing it just for your pleasure.

Yeah, I guess I would agree that a lot of old people are very religious. Some would say there is no such thing as "too" religious, but it's really annoying if you aren't religious yourself.

Shlup, your whole family is awesome and I want to meet them all before I die.

KC, that's pretty much how Cross Plains is. There are annoying old people everywhere, getting in the way of the fast paced youngsters. Sometimes I want to run over them with shopping carts.

Bubba
03-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Old people are simply awesome.

Tits isn't something you should be posting. Even perfect ones like that.

drotato
03-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Ohmygod, hahahaha.

Shiny
03-28-2012, 04:11 AM
Anyone I've ever met born 1956 or earlier has been incredibly close-minded know-it-alls. FYI, just because you're old does not mean you're all knowing. Being wise comes in part, from knowing that you don't know everything, so stfu and knit something for me.

Shiny
03-28-2012, 04:21 AM
As I said people I've met. I've most likely never met your grandmother.

Pike
03-28-2012, 05:27 AM
She lives in a tiny little house in the woods in the mountains.

I am super jealous of your grandma.

Shiny
03-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Your grandmother is like Henry David Thoreau...awesome!

Loony BoB
03-28-2012, 09:35 AM
When they try to push something onto you, just tell them that you'll think about it. If they have one thing to teach us, it's that there is a lot of time left for us to think about things that they tell us.

I like old people and their conversations when I am relaxing and have nothing much to do. When I'm trying to get something done, it's hard to get a word in, let alone to tell them that I have things I need to do so I have to go. But it's hard to hate them for that... and luckily the stuff they're talking about is actually kinda interesting most of the time.

Crop
03-28-2012, 12:55 PM
The only old people I know or talk to are my grandparents on my mothers side. They are incredible people and have imparted so much knowledge to me and my brother as we've grown. We spent two weeks there every year growing up until I turned about 18, and they're some of the best memories I have.

I hope I can see them again before they pass, because they are both in their 80s, but both still live together in a house and don't need a care worker or anything. I'd be lucky to end up like them when I'm older.

starlet
03-28-2012, 01:29 PM
My aunt kind of gets on my nerves with dog related stuff. She volunteers at shelters and is an animal rights activist. She's one that will call a groomer abusive for lightly quicking a toenail. I try as hard as I can to not quick a nail but accidents do happen :roll2

Also I work next to a bingo hall. They get out on Mondays about the same time I'm done with work. Lets just say that I wait until EVERYONE from the hall is gone before I leave or try to scramble out of there early..

Mirage
03-28-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm always kind of worried when I'm around really old people. I sometimes think "what if he or she dies right now, what do I do?".

Anyway, I don't really have that problem with the old people in my own family being all overbearing. Additionally, even old people over here are pretty secular. The last time I heard one of my grandmas trying to be all religious with me was when i was like 10 years old, and I haven't heard my mother's parents mention religion even once.

I'm also dead set on not becoming and old conservative fart. Whatever holographic game systems they get when I grow old, I want to play it.

drotato
03-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Lol Starlet, I would hate that.

Mirage, you made me lawl so freaking hard. xDDD