PDA

View Full Version : Least Favorite Part of the Game?

DMKA
03-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Mine has to be the part where Cloud and Tifa are in the Lifestream in Cloud's dream and there's all those different Cloud's sitting around and floating about, etc. Even though you learn so much and there's several integral story bits revealed, I've always hated that part for some reason. I don't know if it's simply the presentation, or the fact that it's the longest you go in the game with straight storyline and nothing else. All I know is, I just got done replaying the game and all these years later I still dread that part.

What's your least favorite part of Final Fantasy VII?

Wolf Kanno
03-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Leaving Kalm after the Flashback, I know most people have fond memories of when the game "opened up" but honestly, you don't really do anything until you reach Junon about an hour or two later.

Fort Condor... any of it. It's easily the game's weakest mini-game and it's incredibly slow and clunky and god I hate them for making you have to do it at least once.

I also dread Cosmo Canyon, because I find Red XIII's story a bit boring (great music) but I find the whole scenario to be a bit dull cause we're taking time out for a character who has little to no importance to the overall plot. The fact it's sandwiched in between the disturbing scenario of Zack's hometown and the ominous moment you get to return to Nibelheim, also makes it a bit of a mood killer.

I dread Wutai, cause I hate Yuffie and the whole scenario still pisses me off. I especially hate that I have to do her boring boss rush side quest just so I can get one of my fave summons, Leviathan. What really pisses me off, is that as a completionist, I can't bring myself to skip any of these.

I dread the second disc because it's where I feel the plot really takes a dive, specifically, after you find Cloud in Mideel and then your party decided to finally stop ignoring Shin-Ra (after 30 hours of doing so) and mess them up when they are finally actually trying to do something useful for a change. Oddly enough, I don't mind the individual elements of this part, stopping the train from crashing into Coral, infiltrating Junon and stealing the sub, and dealing with the rocket, I just find the incredibly weak rationale behind all of it kind of destroys the overall narrative for me, not to mention Tifa's whole "I knew the truth but didn't tell you cause I thought it would upset you" is in this part of the game as well. :simon:

Gamblet
03-27-2012, 08:07 PM
not to mention Tifa's whole "I knew the truth but didn't tell you cause I thought it would upset you" is in this part of the game as well. :simon:
This.

Raistlin
03-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Fort Condor... any of it. It's easily the game's weakest mini-game and it's incredibly slow and clunky and god I hate them for making you have to do it at least once.

I dread Wutai, cause I hate Yuffie and the whole scenario still pisses me off. I especially hate that I have to do her boring boss rush side quest just so I can get one of my fave summons, Leviathan. What really pisses me off, is that as a completionist, I can't bring myself to skip any of these.

You're dead to me. :colbert:

The whole second disc is a bit of a let down. From a writing perspective, it's terrible. WK mentions Tifa's poor justification for not telling Cloud the truth and the rather dubious logic of attacking Shinra when they're trying to stop Meteor. But there's also the fight with Hojo, who's never very established as a really hate-worthy villain despite being a great candidate for it.

Gameplay-wise, the second disc just isn't as fun. You're not really exploring any more or going to many new areas. And I never have much fun during the first part of the second disc when you're just stuck in the snowy mountains. Though later in the second disc I do enjoy having Cid as my party leader and watching him run.

It doesn't help that disc 1 is (generally) fantastic, so the contrast is all the more apparent. I do agree with WK that the detour to Cosmo Canyon is a bit annoying as it's crammed between two rather serious and dramatic moments in the plot; at that point I am eager to get to Nibelheim and Rocket Town, and while Red XIII is a cool character, the whole side story there doesn't really add much to the game. But otherwise, it's very enjoyable.

Sephex
03-27-2012, 09:54 PM
I don't really care for the Wutai stuff.

Jinx
03-27-2012, 10:09 PM
That stupid mountain range by Nibelheim.

Crop
03-28-2012, 03:52 AM

This.

And the flashback in Kalm, I'm disappointed with no one mentioning that damn Flasback. In. Kalm.

Jinx
03-28-2012, 04:09 AM
Agreed. The flashback takes forever and is just boring. I always dread that part when I play. And it's not like FFX where you could just let the scene run while you make a sandwich. You have to sit there through all of it.

Chris
03-28-2012, 09:13 AM
I really do "hate" the Fort Condor thing. It is completely torture!

Loony BoB
03-28-2012, 09:23 AM
fierytempest got it in one for me - the mountains seperating Rocket Town and Nibelheim are nothing short of a dungeon that goes on just a little too long and on my first attempt it took a bit of figuring out just to get through it.

Another moment is just after Meteor appears in the sky, but before the Highwind is obtained. Because during that time the music on the world map is a real downer. Sure, it suits the atmosphere, but I still don't like it. :p

I also dread Cosmo Canyon, because I find Red XIII's story a bit boring (great music) but I find the whole scenario to be a bit dull cause we're taking time out for a character who has little to no importance to the overall plot. The fact it's sandwiched in between the disturbing scenario of Zack's hometown and the ominous moment you get to return to Nibelheim, also makes it a bit of a mood killer.
What are you? Dead inside? :( Red XIII is an awesome character and to give him his moment - just as every other character (let's face it, all but three of them could be classed as having "little to no importance to the overall plot") has their moment, too. Also, Red's little subplot is the most touching of them all. The most moving moment in any video game can not be considered boring, surely?

The parts that I don't like to do with Cosmo Canyon are all the parts that aren't required to follow the small subplot. In other words, the long talks with Bugenhagen about the planet, the various bits surrounding the fireplace. The bits telling about Red's parents and obviously the inevitable discovery of the truth about them? That's something that should be considered unmissable.

Still, it would be even better if it wasn't for Red XIII going from intelligent, mature, scarfaced beast to little baby grandpa grandpa help me waaaah cub afterwards. A character so cool should still be able to keep his head after such things, especially after he's been likely tortured at the hands of Hojo for some time.

Hollycat
03-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Upon further reflection I have decided to change mine answer to the final cutscene of the game with Red XIII. Although I still dislike the recollection of Cloud's truth, I find it a necessary part of the game, and besides, it would hardly have been fair for Squaresoft to have made a perfect game, now would it. I have chosen the final cutscene because of the cliffhanger it leaves at the end of a long game. While I can see leaving the ending open to artistic interpretation by the player, skipping ahead 500 years to show a ruined Midgar isn't exactly a nice thing to do. At the end of the game it could almost be assumed that holy decided that the humans were too harmful to keep alive, t were it not for the sequels and Advent Children. That is another thing I partially dislike, the finishing up of the story after the original game clearly wanted to leave the ending open to interpretation. Basically, make up your mind Square.

Rantz
03-28-2012, 11:03 AM

This is the correct answer.

I Don't Need A Name
03-28-2012, 03:34 PM
The bit where I have to sit through the entire convoluted story knowing that all of it is completely incorrect until you discover the truth 3/4 of the way through and yet I must still suffer it just so I can get through and play some of the game.

Bubba
03-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I never really liked Mount Nibel it was such a pain in the arse.

As a backdrop it looked amazing... unfortunately you fail to notice this as you are busy manouvering a yellow-and-purple speck around tiny roads that make no physical sense... and clearly not suited to a d-pad.

Subsequently you end up in a random encounter for the ninth consecutive time on the same section of the mountain. It's when you get into double figures that you start chewing the arm of your chair out of frustration.

You know what else I didn't like? Flying around trying to find Ultima Weapon. Then, after you've fought him, he gives you the old one-two-shuffle then legs it... leaving you scouring the world map again.

What a knob.

Alpha2099
03-28-2012, 06:58 PM
In no particular order:

Chasing the Ultimate Weapon around
The Wutai quest
Chocobo breeding and racing. What a waste of effin' time.

Flying Arrow
03-28-2012, 07:59 PM
In no particular order:

Chasing the Ultimate Weapon around
The Wutai quest
Chocobo breeding and racing. What a waste of effin' time.

I skipped Wutai my last time through the game, but the other two I agree with. The Fort Condor battles are also kind of out of place... but I don't actually hate them.

My immediate answer to this question is the whole Gold Saucer/Desert Prison bit, which culminates with the shitty Chocobo racing mini-game. The prison is just drab and boring for me, and the Gold Saucer is more or less pointless for me because I hate almost all mini-games ever.

krissy
03-28-2012, 08:48 PM
i didn't like chocobo breeding haha
just did it to get kotor

and i loved that nibelheim mountain range for the ambience you all suck

Jiro
03-28-2012, 11:09 PM
Mt Nibel wasn't that bad. I only dislike it because fucking Kalm Flashback. I don't even hate that as much these days but it's so smurfing tedious and I always try to just blaze through it. (gotta get tifa's panties every time though)

Alpha2099
03-28-2012, 11:12 PM
just did it to get kotor
Same here.

Flying Arrow
03-28-2012, 11:48 PM
I had no idea people hated the Kalm flashback so much. I love that part.

Alpha2099
03-29-2012, 02:54 AM
I had no idea people hated the Kalm flashback so much. I love that part.
That part's cool. Especially once you know what really happened back then, so on future playthroughs you're already putting the pieces together.

Wolf Kanno
03-29-2012, 05:10 AM
Yeah, I'm a bit confused by all the hate with the Kalm Flashback, cause it's actually fairly short and it's a pretty good scene that really sets up the mood with Cloud's past and Sephiroth. Though I would argue that Sephy is never quite as impressive to me after the flashback but oh well.

What are you? Dead inside? :( Red XIII is an awesome character and to give him his moment - just as every other character (let's face it, all but three of them could be classed as having "little to no importance to the overall plot") has their moment, too. Also, Red's little subplot is the most touching of them all. The most moving moment in any video game can not be considered boring, surely?

The parts that I don't like to do with Cosmo Canyon are all the parts that aren't required to follow the small subplot. In other words, the long talks with Bugenhagen about the planet, the various bits surrounding the fireplace. The bits telling about Red's parents and obviously the inevitable discovery of the truth about them? That's something that should be considered unmissable.

Still, it would be even better if it wasn't for Red XIII going from intelligent, mature, scarfaced beast to little baby grandpa grandpa help me waaaah cub afterwards. A character so cool should still be able to keep his head after such things, especially after he's been likely tortured at the hands of Hojo for some time.

Red XIII seemed more indignant about being a test subject than traumatized by it. He even gets a chance to kill Hojo outright when you first meet him, but just lets him go. It's only when you actually bring him to the Hojo battle that he comes across actually pissed by it.

My issue with Seto the storyline was that it was predictable. I have seen that story before so the emotional payoff was kind of lost since I figured it was coming. I also felt it just makes Red XIII look like an asshole, rather than sympathetic. My issue with Red XIII is that out of all the playable cast, he has no real reason to be with your party. He's the "Gau" of VII, because he doesn't necessarily hate Shin-Ra (though you would think he would be pissed) and he has no connection to Sephiroth. I mean he joins up with your party initially just to get back to Cosmo Canyon, and was actually planning on taking over his tribes duties when he got there before Bugenhagen told him into helping your party. He pretty much has the weakest reasoning to be there, despite the plot actually giving him good reasoning to help them.

Despite that, the only thing I really love about the Seto storyline is that it allows me to hear quite possibly my favorite track in the game, but I now have the track on my iPod; so I can now feel free to wish the novelty talking cat would shut up about things he doesn't know, feel stupid when he learns he's wrong and has been bad mouthing a badass parent, and then get a bit disgusted that Bugenhagen wants him to go with me.

Flying Arrow
03-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Though I would argue that Sephy is never quite as impressive to me after the flashback but oh well.

That's what I find so neat about the whole thing, and really the whole Cloud/Zack plot as a whole. Cloud's really unreliable. The other party members even call him out on it briefly too.

Alpha2099
03-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Though I would argue that Sephy is never quite as impressive to me after the flashback but oh well.
While I respect Sephiroth's general badassery, I have to laugh at the way he walks sometimes. It looks like he has starch in his shorts or something.

Jinx
03-29-2012, 04:59 PM
The only thing about the Kalm flashback I like is how Sephiroth was sweet. Like, the morning after when he's all upset and stuff, I just wanna nuzzle him and tell him it will all be okay.

VeloZer0
03-29-2012, 07:04 PM
What gets me about the Kalm flashback is that it is essentially a huge cut-scene with no actual gameplay. Sure you get to run around and talk to people, but the whole fighting battles aspect is removed. Sure it was fun the first time, but in subsequent playthroughs it isn't quite as captivating.

Raistlin
03-29-2012, 07:15 PM
The only thing about the Kalm flashback I like is how Sephiroth was sweet. Like, the morning after when he's all upset and stuff, I just wanna nuzzle him and tell him it will all be okay.

Don't lie to us, woman. You're just after his big sword.

Sure you get to run around and talk to people, but the whole fighting battles aspect is removed. Sure it was fun the first time, but in subsequent playthroughs it isn't quite as captivating.

It's not like fighting random battles is all that "captivating" to begin with. Personally, I find good storytelling and character development to be far more engaging aspects of JRPGs. The flashback was significant in that respect.

Flying Arrow
03-29-2012, 08:24 PM
It's not like fighting random battles is all that "captivating" to begin with. Personally, I find good storytelling and character development to be far more engaging aspects of JRPGs. The flashback was significant in that respect.

The thing with the Kalm section is that its basically having the player explore two entire towns. There's Kalm, and then there's the flashback of Nibelheim in the inn. You explore Nibelheim like any other location with the added layer of narrative frame. Obviously you don't buy anything or do anything to improve your party (which is what towns are used for), but I really dig the exploration aspect of it. Especially the surreal, mysterious vibe it gives off. Also the first time I did the section, the game had its hooks totally in me. I think Square did a good job placing this (for the time) long exposition section. Right after the Shinra HQ stage, which they had to know was like the best dungeon/section they had ever made, ever.

I don't know, I can't really argue someone into liking the Kalm section because there are other lengthy town segments and "story" battles in the other games that I just hate. I like Kalm every time I go through it, but then I go and get frustrated with FFIX's Lindblum sections. Go figure.

VeloZer0
03-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Though I consider story and exploration very important parts of the game I like it when the whole fighting and character growth (levels, skills, loot, etc...) is delivered together in a full package.

I like Kalm every time I go through it, but then I go and get frustrated with FFIX's Lindblum sections
I find them quite similar, and I am not all that fond of either.

Karifean
03-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Any part where you have to go through the same screen multiple times (Great Glacier and Midgar Underground Tunnels at the end of CD2)

Alpha2099
03-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Any part where you have to go through the same screen multiple times (Great Glacier and Midgar Underground Tunnels at the end of CD2)
Yeah, that can be annoying. Especially the underground tunnels. If you're going after the W-Item materia, it feels like an eternity.

Dr. Acula
04-22-2012, 07:33 AM

These.

I also hate waiting for Ultima Weapon to settle down so I can kick his ass.
And I don't like chocobo breeding either. KOTR makes the game too easy anyway.

Phoenix Rising
04-27-2012, 04:06 PM
The tunnels you must go through to stop Hojo, especially with those enemies that launch that EXTREMELY LONG ATTACK that slows the party down. Fort Condor and Tifa's reason for not telling Cloud the truth are also pretty horrible.

I Don't Need A Name
04-28-2012, 10:28 PM
just did it to get kotor

and i loved that nibelheim mountain range for the ambience you all suck

And yet no one has picked up that, somehow, krissy managed to get Knights of the Old Republic within Final Fantasy VII, and not Knights of the Round

sabin101
05-02-2012, 02:31 AM
Wutai quest was really boring to me I felt it was stuck in at like the last moment. I really did not like the part where you had to try and stop the train ugh that part took me forever with the correct buttons. Not something I am good at. I really did not like the monster in the safe.