PDA

View Full Version : It's my first time, please be gentle.

Hollycat
03-29-2012, 03:20 AM
I'm not sure if this thread goes here or in GC, but, whatever.

I've decided I want to buy a violin, but I have no idea what any good brands are, nor what the different types are. What kind should I get and why?

I would prefer for the violin in question to cost less than $150 if possible at the absolute max.

Jinx
03-29-2012, 03:29 AM
You'll be hard pressed to find any instrument, let alone a violin for that price.

Hollycat
03-29-2012, 03:31 AM
​Amazon.com: New 4/4 Full Size Student Violin: Musical Instruments (http://www.amazon.com/New-Full-Size-Student-Violin/dp/B000FB6TV8)

Jinx
03-29-2012, 04:26 AM
Lol, I was thinking custom fit for arm length, wood, etc etc.

nik0tine
03-29-2012, 07:17 AM
My advice is to buy the highest quality instrument you can get your hands on, even if it means saving up a little while longer. It's harder to develop technique on a low quality instrument because they are harder to play and they will, therefore, stunt your progress somewhat. Hard (and smart) work and dedication is still more important though.

That said, I know nothing about violins. I'm pretty sure everything you buy for $150 is going to be roughly the same level of shit, though, so if that's your budget without exception then you can probably get away with just buying one without shopping around.

Good luck on taking up one of the hardest instruments around.

NorthernChaosGod
03-29-2012, 08:18 AM
I don't know what you two are on, but if he wanted, he absolutely could find a decent guitar for that price range.

Don't know much about violins though, Hypo. Sorry.

Værn
03-29-2012, 11:47 AM
I don't know anything about what brands are good and all whatnot, but if you want to get one just to learn to play then I would start by checking out a pawn shop for used violins. There's one around here that had a few violins for about $80. I'm guessing they're cheap ones that someone learning to play would start with.
If you just want to learn to play, the quality of an instrument isn't as important as simply having the instrument in question. It would be a shame to make a major investment in a high-end violin, only to discover that you don't have a knack for it and would rather discontinue lessons. Wait until you at least know the basics before you worry about upgrading to something fancy.