PDA

View Full Version : New PS3.

doeboyfresh14
04-01-2012, 12:28 AM
I got the old school bulky/glossy 80gb ps3 a few guys. I just up graded to the 160gb slimline.

How do i transfer my saved files from one to the other. Can i just use a flash drive?

JKTrix
04-01-2012, 02:50 AM
If you have an Ethernet cable, there is a feature built-in to the PS3s that will transfer everything it can. Check the instructions for it here

PS3™ | Data Transfer Utility (http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/transferutility.html)

Deactivating your account on the old system is pretty important, especially if you have ever spent money on the store. You could use a USB flash drive, but I believe there are even more limits on the gamesaves that can be transferred with that. Either way, you will need to have the same profile on both the old PS3 and the new PS3.

doeboyfresh14
04-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the help and link, that worked great. It took about 35 minutes. I'm formatting the old one to sell to a friend so that it has nothing on it. That is going to take me about 4 1/2 hours it says.

So onto a new question. Where my ps3 is now there is only one spot for the ethernet cable to plug in so my computer is plugged into that. I prefer to hard wire the ps3. Can i plug that ethernet cable into a wireless router to use as a sort of extension to be able to use 2 ethernet cables (one for comp, one for ps3?)

krissy
04-01-2012, 03:58 PM
why is your computer even involved? the link seems to say that yo ujust connect the ps3s together with the ethernet cable

doeboyfresh14
04-01-2012, 07:20 PM
why is your computer even involved? the link seems to say that yo ujust connect the ps3s together with the ethernet cable

seperate situation now. i have the data moved. now i'm trying to figure out how to connect the ps3 and my computer with only one line

JKTrix
04-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Delayed response, but yes you can use a router or a switch. Doesn't have to be wireless, though I suppose those are the most common ones out there. Glad you prefer to be hardwired.

GhandiOwnsYou
04-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Switches seem to be hit or miss, FYI. I have my PS3 and 360 hardwired through an Airport Extreme's ethernet-outs and it's never given me any problems. On the other hand, a friend of mine whose wireless router took a turn for the worse bummed an old Ethernet hub from me to use in the meantime, for a Laptop, 360 and PS3 and the PS3 does not play nice with it at all. Hub works fine on all ports for the 360 and laptop, but the PS3 won't recognize it.