PDA

View Full Version : Laptop to PC harddrive transfer?

Spawn of Sephiroth
04-06-2012, 04:22 AM
Ok, so over the winter my laptop that I've had for 5 years has fried. However, I have so much stuff that I need off it that I've done for my college stuff and portfolios and other personal stuff, but I don't know if there is an easy way to get it off the harddrive. I got a new desktop with my income tax. So is there a cord or something like the XBOX 360 that I can use to transfer it or is it something that I am gonna have to pay out the ass to have a "Pro" do it for me. Any help is very muchos appreciated.

CimminyCricket
04-06-2012, 05:00 AM
As long as your laptop's hard drive isn't more than 500gb you can buy this Newegg.com - Wintec FileMate 3FME2500GW-R Aluminum alloy 2.5" White USB 2.0 HDD External Enclosure (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817232002) and turn it into an external hard drive that you can just plug it USB style into your PC and pull whatever files you want off of it and then clear the hard drive and as long as it wasn't the hard drive from the laptop that crapped out on you you'll be able to pull your files and have a brand new external hard drive!

I had to do this with a hard drive that is now probably 5 years old as well and had been sitting out unprotected on a shelf for at least 1 of them, so I'm 90% sure it will work for you xD and I did it using an older version of the product I linked you to.

Mirage
04-06-2012, 11:36 AM
You can just plug your laptops hard drive directly into your desktop PC, as long as the laptop uses a S-ATA HDD. It is extremely likely that it does.

All you need is a S-ATA data cable, these cost like a few dollars.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270093
One of these should work. Keep in mind that you might be able to get them just as cheap in like a physical store near you. The brand name or speed rating does not matter for your purpose. The only thing that matters is that it is a "S-ATA data cable". Your desktop PC is likely to already have the power cable needed to power it up. There is probably an unused S-ATA power cable inside it already. You should probably double-check though. They look like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816015
Without the white end. What I linked is a conversion cable from what was normal before to S-ATA power. Inside your PC, there is probably already a S-ATA power connector hanging around.

Spawn of Sephiroth
04-06-2012, 11:17 PM
As long as your laptop's hard drive isn't more than 500gb you can buy this Newegg.com - Wintec FileMate 3FME2500GW-R Aluminum alloy 2.5" White USB 2.0 HDD External Enclosure (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817232002) and turn it into an external hard drive that you can just plug it USB style into your PC and pull whatever files you want off of it and then clear the hard drive and as long as it wasn't the hard drive from the laptop that crapped out on you you'll be able to pull your files and have a brand new external hard drive!

I had to do this with a hard drive that is now probably 5 years old as well and had been sitting out unprotected on a shelf for at least 1 of them, so I'm 90% sure it will work for you xD and I did it using an older version of the product I linked you to.

thanks!! ordered it and hopefully it will. my hd is only 90gb

CimminyCricket
04-07-2012, 03:56 AM
:D

Mirage
04-07-2012, 07:31 AM
I still think my way is cooler :(

CimminyCricket
04-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Yours is way cooler, but if he has no experience with plugging anything into the inside of the computer he might go into it without grounding himself and things could go wrong real fast. Mine was the safest bet xD It's realy hard to mess up putting a hard drive into a little slot and then screwing the top on!

Mirage
04-07-2012, 03:50 PM
I can't remember the last time i specifically grounded myself before working inside my PC

I just leave the PC plugged into the wall socket, making the entire chassis grounded, so as long as i touch that first, all is fine :p

safe is for pussies >:O

CimminyCricket
04-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Safe is for people whose laptop died and forced them to buy a new computer they don't want to burn out xD

Peegee
04-11-2012, 08:47 PM
lol one time I unplugged an IDE hard drive.

While the computer was running.

Yes I got a BSOD

Also

There was an arc. I saw an arc! And I didn't die! I COULD HAVE

Mirage
04-12-2012, 11:00 AM
How is this in any way relevant?