PDA

View Full Version : Disney Renaissance

Chris
04-11-2012, 11:38 PM
http://i42.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/zyf534.jpg

I was born in 1987, right at the dawning of the Disney Renaissance. Looking back now, I cannot imagine my childhood without these movies. All the hours I spent imagining that I was Aladdin, or the time that a couple of buddies and I dressed up as Disney Princessess... Okay, TMI on that one. :D

What do you think your childhood would have been like without these specific movies?

Bunny
04-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Very boring and less musical.

Roto13
04-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Looking at those posters, I can kind of see myself outgrow Disney movies. :P I saw The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King in the theater, then rented Pochahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Hercules, and just never saw Mulan or Tarzan.

Shlup
04-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Glenn Keane, who made most of those movies (and Tangled) awesome, left Disney just a couple of weeks ago. I was bummed.

As a Disney fanatic, I obviously feel strongly about these movies. Hell, I sell jewelry inspired by them and work at Disneyland, so... Yeah, kind of important.

Jinx
04-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Disney Golden Age right there.

Disney movies mostly suck these days.

krissy
04-12-2012, 12:39 AM
no tangled was great
can't think of anything else i really liked recently
altho the 3d rerealease of beauty and the beast made me appreciate that movie on a deeper level...

Jinx
04-12-2012, 12:49 AM
I said MOSTLY. Tangeld was awesome, and I'm excited to see Brave.

I saw both Lion King and Beauty and the Beast in 3D. The part with stained glass was awesome.

And the Tangled wedding short was HILARIOUS.

Roto13
04-12-2012, 12:52 AM
no tangled was great
can't think of anything else i really liked recently
altho the 3d rerealease of beauty and the beast made me appreciate that movie on a deeper level...

*rimshot*

krissy
04-12-2012, 12:56 AM
yaaah wedding short!

and i actually mean that beauty and the beast thing! it's a whole lot darker in its themes than i remember... he's pretty much turned into the beast when he's a child if you follow their story closely, so it's like, 'geez witch lady way to teach that 11 or w/e year old kid that's being a kid a lesson'. there's a lot of story layering and metaphors that i didn't pick up on as a kid too, but there's so many scenes that just resonate with the 'human or monster' theme and the meaning behind it.

i'm gonna stop now and paint my nails or braid my hair or look at shoes or something.

Jinx
04-12-2012, 12:59 AM
But he's super tall and sexy in the stained glass portions!

And if you saw the Christmas Beauty and the Beast, he looks exactly the same age.

fire_of_avalon
04-12-2012, 01:13 AM
I have still never seen Tarzan and I don't know why.

Disney is great. New and old. Yay Disney.

krissy
04-12-2012, 01:37 AM
But he's super tall and sexy in the stained glass portions!

And if you saw the Christmas Beauty and the Beast, he looks exactly the same age.

i have the xmas special on tape...
man the tim curry villain was great when you were a kid.
dunno if he'll stand the test of time, i'd rather not bust it out.

Jinx
04-12-2012, 02:06 AM
I still love Angelique's song. Makes me cry every time.

Shlup
04-12-2012, 02:35 AM
Disney Golden Age right there.

Disney movies mostly suck these days.
The Golden Age of American Animation was from 1928 until the early 60s, from Snow White to I think Bambi or something. The era we're talking about is The Renaissance of American Animation.

Not that you meant it literally, but I figured I'd drop some knowledge.

I said MOSTLY. Tangeld was awesome, and I'm excited to see Brave.

I saw both Lion King and Beauty and the Beast in 3D. The part with stained glass was awesome.

And the Tangled wedding short was HILARIOUS.

Brave is a Pixar movie. They're owned by Disney now, but they're still separate studios.

Tangled was wonderful. Disney's mistake in The Princess and the Frog was hiring Randy Newman as music director instead of their golden boy Alan Menken, who did all the best stuff from the Renaissance and now Tangled.

From the end of the Renaissance to now, there were a few movies that people loved: Lilo & Stitch and The Emperor's New Groove. Then there were the utter failures like Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Treasure Island, and Brother Bear. Disney's next movie, which I believe is about Snow White's evil queen, sounds good so far.

Jinx
04-12-2012, 02:42 AM
I didn't mean it literally, nah. :)

I didn't realize Brave was just Pixar--it's all the same in my mind these days.

And I liked Brother Bear. :(

Del Murder
04-12-2012, 03:23 AM
I'm glad I grew up during this era. All you 90s born kids were missing out.

Roto13
04-12-2012, 03:38 AM
Hiring Randy Newman is never a mistake.

For anything.

I'd hire Randy Newman to remove my tonsils and build my house.

And he would be wonderful.

krissy
04-12-2012, 03:53 AM
i dunno
sing one song from princess and the frog off the top of your head

exactly

Roto13
04-12-2012, 04:05 AM
i dunno
sing one song from princess and the frog off the top of your head

exactly

Haven't seen it.

I'll sing You Can Leave Your Hat On for you though.

Jinx
04-12-2012, 04:19 AM
I can actually sing a few Princess and the Frog songs.

Shlup
04-12-2012, 08:41 PM
I didn't mean it literally, nah. :)

I didn't realize Brave was just Pixar--it's all the same in my mind these days.

And I liked Brother Bear. :(

I actually haven't seen Brother Bear yet, but I've never heard anything good about it. Or bad, now that I think of it. Just nothing.

Freya
04-12-2012, 09:03 PM
I like brother bear! Its' cute! I love the moosessss in it.

I agree with the Randy Newman thing. That's what made Princess and the Frog easily forgettable.

blackmage_nuke
04-12-2012, 11:50 PM
I actually really enjoyed all the jazz and blues that played in the background of Princess and the Frog, a little variance in musical genre doesnt hurt. But the sung songs themselves werent memorable, though I remember a few tunes and words. But to be fair i watched the other movies 100 times as a child and Princess Frog once as an adult.

Hated the love story though. Ive known you three days and Im ready to marry you? Sod that

Shlup
04-13-2012, 12:29 AM
So basically you hate every Disney movie ever. xD

Except Beauty and the Beast! I do believe he holds her captive for many months.

Bubba
04-13-2012, 12:57 AM
I watched The Lion King stage show in New York last week and I was actually in tears. There is no greater collection of songs in any Disney film. Ever.

The nineties was definitely a special period for Disney. They are mostly awesome.

Randy Newman is a songwriting genius. Full stop... which is more than can be said for poisoned dwarf Phil Collins. No-one should ever watch Tarzan or Brother Bear for this exact reason.

Shattered Dreamer
04-13-2012, 12:59 AM
These movies prove that we were the last generation of children to grow up with actual innocence. Those golden years before children were subject to garbage like Miley Cyrus & Justin Bieber. When the only damage Disney films did was give a future generation of women unrealistic expectations of men :lol:

Although all joking aside The Lion King was probably my favourite childhood film :bigsmile:

Roto13
04-13-2012, 01:05 AM
Disney princesses fuck on the first date.

Bubba
04-13-2012, 01:11 AM
Although all joking aside The Lion King was probably my favourite childhood film :bigsmile:

Absolutely

DMKA
04-13-2012, 02:09 AM
I still love every single one of those movies. The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Pocahontas and Mulan all rank in my personal list of favorite films ever. I almost make it a point to watch them at least once a year, and I thoroughly enjoy them every single time.

Frankly, I feel that Disney did make some great films after Tarzan that simply don't get the appreciation the deserve. Lilo & Stitch, for example, is a fantastic movie. It's everything great in a Disney film, minus the musical numbers. I also enjoyed The Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet...but I don't think any of them can hold a candle of the aforementioned 90s Disney films. I really didn't like when they abandoned 2D animation though...Tangled is the first CGI Disney film I really liked on the level of the 90s films. It's also their first CGI musical. Go figure. :p

I also really enjoyed The Princess and the Frog and I really REALLY liked Tangled. Disney has a long history of going through strings of good films and strings of mediocrity, so hopefully this is going to be another good string of movies for them this decade.

Not that that will make the people who hate Disney because it's cool to hate Disney change their minds anyway.

Randy Newman is a songwriting genius. Full stop... which is more than can be said for poisoned dwarf Phil Collins. No-one should ever watch Tarzan or Brother Bear for this exact reason.
Newman is fine and dandy until he starts singing. At least Collins can sing. :p

charliepanayi
04-13-2012, 08:51 AM
So maybe Newman should do the lyrics and music and get Phil Collins to sing?

Anyway 90s Disney (certainly the end of the 80s to mid-90s stretch of The Little Mermaid to The Lion King) is called their second golden age for good reason. I enjoyed Tarzan and Mulan too.

Slothy
04-13-2012, 12:48 PM

When true love is unattainable, Stockholm syndrome will do just fine. :)

which is more than can be said for poisoned dwarf Phil Collins.

The man should stay behind a drumkit. Though I suppose his hearing issue lately may make that difficult.

Jinx
04-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Phil Collins' voice makes my ears bleed.

Pike
04-13-2012, 04:57 PM
I dunno about you guys but when I was a kid Disney was still re-releasing their old classics into theaters every couple of years (as opposed to constantly re-releasing them on DVD or whatever they do now.) So yes, I grew up on the Disney Renaissance movies, but I also grew up on all of their old classics: Snow White, Cinderella, Robin Hood, Peter Pan, Bambi, 101 Dalmatians, Fantasia, The Rescuers, The Jungle Book, and so forth. I saw all of these in the theater and it's really a shame that they don't do that anymore.

EDIT: Atlantis was great. And so was Brother Bear. Listen to this and tell me it isn't great.

85WNcQgrueE

DMKA
04-13-2012, 06:37 PM
I always forget about Brother Bear. I enjoyed it too.

krissy
04-13-2012, 09:14 PM
i liked treasure island, it introduced the whole antigrav board to a wider audience

and that brother bear OST cover...serious case of dreamworks face haha

blackmage_nuke
04-17-2012, 07:45 AM
So basically you hate every Disney movie ever. xD

They fall in love after a few days for most disney movies sure but it doesnt explicitly state they get married or engaged except in the princess frog.

Jinx
04-17-2012, 05:49 PM
In Cinderella you definitely see a wedding. I think you might in Snow White, as well. The Little Mermaid...there's a wedding. Sleeping Beauty, they were already engaged but didn't know it, and fell in love after meeting once......

yeah.

blackmage_nuke
04-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Yes but those are at an unspecified time after the events of the story,it coule be months or years. This is one of the few times it is out right expressed they get married imediately

Kossage
04-20-2012, 03:13 AM
It's sad that The Rescuers Down Under gets so little love even though it was part of the Renaissance too (between The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast). It's a kickass film; the eagle flying scene is a classic mix of storytelling, animation and music. My childhood would've been quite different if I hadn't seen these films; they made my imagination run wild, taught me to love music, and gave me such heartwarming memories which I'll always carry within me. The Lion King is still the best of the bunch, although I have a soft spot for the Hunchback of Notre Dame too.

After my initial skepticism, I actually found Randy Newman's songs for The Princess and the Frog to be quite catchy at times, although some of the songs should've been polished a bit. Facilier's villain song "Friends on the Other Side" is up there as one of the funniest songs I've heard (both Keith David and our Finnish dubber Veeti Kallio did a good job with it). It's Newman's score which lacked the Disney spirit for the most part; it's a shame because Newman has occasionally shown good stuff but his usual output is always the same old sound with hardly any variation.

I've more or less enjoyed all of the Disney Animated Canon films I've seen (yet to see the newest Winnie the Pooh, but the trailers of it look promising); I think only parts of Chicken Little were gringeworthy, and I actually found Home on the Range charming (I guess Menken's music had something to do with it). Brother Bear and Treasure Planet are severely underrated, however, and as much as I enjoy the comedy in The Emperor's New Groove, I can't help but imagine what it could've been if Disney had made it as originally intended as a serious, epic fairy tale Kingdom of the Sun. :)