PDA

View Full Version : J.K. Rowling's new book, The Casual Vacancy

Freya
04-13-2012, 08:38 AM
JK Rowling has been working on a new novel since HP has finished and it finally has some info and a release date! It's not for kids! Called The Casual Vacancy, JK has geared this novel for a more adult crowd. It comes out on a world wide release on September 27th 2012. Check out the summary!

When Barry Fairweather dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock.

Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war.

Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils…Pagford is not what it first seems.

And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?

Blackly comic, thought-provoking and constantly surprising, The Casual Vacancy is J.K. Rowling’s first novel for adults.

Any thoughts? :D

charliepanayi
04-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Already people I know are saying 'that sounds really boring' which is a bit unfair I think, as it's very hard to come up with a brief synopsis of a book that makes it sound like the most exciting thing ever. I guess we'll see how it is when it comes out, though personally if I'd been JK Rowling I would have done a Harper Lee and never written anything again.

Freya
04-13-2012, 09:38 AM
I think it sound interesting. But that's just me. I don't limit myself to one genre of book which I'm sure many people who are fans of HP probably do. Okay that's wrong to say of me but I'm sure that is the case in many areas. I'm curious in how she'll tackle "adult".

Jinx
04-13-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm not just saying this because it's JK--but that sounds pretty interesting to me. I think there might be a lot of religious themes, and it for PARISH council...so, that might be interesting. Especially given her past books, and how religious groups have viewed them.

I'll give it a read.

Pike
04-13-2012, 04:49 PM
I completely understand her desire to try out different genres, because I've been there. Good for her.

Psychotic
04-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Parish Councils aren't really religious in Britain. I guess it comes from the Church parishes, but it's more of a way to describe an area, usually a rural village.

Jinx
04-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Ah, I see. Yeah, that happens here too, in some places. Instead of using the word "county" we use "parish." Some states, anyways.

Poo, though, I thought that would be an interesting concept for her to write about. Kind of like Anne Rice, just not as strong.

krissy
04-13-2012, 05:11 PM
the big reveal: AN INFIDELITY

called it right here

Miriel
04-16-2012, 05:55 AM
I'll read anything Rowling puts out. The premise seems mildly interesting, but that synopsis is terribly written. It sounds like something a high school kid would write. Or the kind of synopsis you would read on the back of a novel in the $1 discount bin.

Bubba
04-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Regardless of the premise this is probably going to be one of the most read books of the year. Even though this is far removed from HP, fans are still going to read it and be disappointed. I know a lot of people who only read Harry Potter books and that's it.

I'm looking forward to it. Interested to see if her writing style has changed much.

Jessweeee♪
04-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Looking forward to it. The title is silly. What does that even mean?

Del Murder
04-16-2012, 05:56 PM
I'll read it if my book screener likes it. But I have my reservations since Rowling has been 100% typecasted in my eyes.

Depression Moon
04-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Already people I know are saying 'that sounds really boring' which is a bit unfair I think, as it's very hard to come up with a brief synopsis of a book that makes it sound like the most exciting thing ever. I guess we'll see how it is when it comes out, though personally if I'd been JK Rowling I would have done a Harper Lee and never written anything again.

Actually since you mention that, it does sound like it to me and it also makes me wonder what exactly is an agent looking for in a synopsis. Of course J.K. is an established author so she could get by with a sloppy or poor synopsis, but still I wonder.

Pike
04-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Actually since you mention that, it does sound like it to me and it also makes me wonder what exactly is an agent looking for in a synopsis. Of course J.K. is an established author so she could get by with a sloppy or poor synopsis, but still I wonder.

An agent is looking for something that they want to read and that they think others will want to read too. But yeah, Rowling could publish whatever she wants at this point.

Quindiana Jones
04-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Also, what a stupid title. xD

Bubba
04-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Wouldn't it be great if the story was set in the 1940's and then in the last chapter Gellert Grindlewald turns up rocking the Elder Wand and twats the entire village?

Jinx
04-20-2012, 10:15 PM
goddammit bubba

Bubba
04-20-2012, 10:22 PM
goddammit bubba

Come on... that would be awesome!

EDIT: The finale could be the legendary fight between Grindlewald and Dumbledore!

Rocket Edge
04-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Yes! I couldn't give a shit what its about, I'm reading this book! Delighted to hear she's back at it.