PDA

View Full Version : Legend of Dragoon on PSN

Jiro
04-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Not yet, but soon. Apparently. May 1st these folks reckon (http://gamerfront.net/2012/04/legend-of-dragoon-hits-psn-in-may-bringing-back-a-classic-rpg/18737).

Also:

It's been awhile, and I've never heard much of anything in the rumor mill about a sequel. The best we'll probably see is it being offered for purchase on PSN.

Pure speculation.
Good work sharky. He called it.

Sephex
04-13-2012, 11:55 AM
"HARPOOOOOOOOOON!!!"

Shattered Dreamer
04-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Awesome :D I played through about half the game on an emulator about 2 years ago but it was one of those games that didn't run very well through an emulator :/ I'll definitely be buy it from PSN

NeoCracker
04-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Had I not access to a fully functioning copy already, I'd give it a purchase.

Jinx
04-13-2012, 03:49 PM
All those people selling it for really expensive on Ebay may have to rethink their prices! :D

Freya
04-13-2012, 04:00 PM
I was playing this the other day on my Playstation. I was almost to the end of disc 1. Then I got bored heh.

Roto13
04-13-2012, 04:21 PM
I never did finish this game. Got up to the third disc and just completely lost interesting.

Iunno.

Jinx
04-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Send me yrs then, Freya?

Alpha2099
04-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Great news! I love this game so much. I've had it since it came out, and I also have an emulated version (it actually runs fairly well if you use one of the simpler graphics plugins). Good to know it'll hit PSN. Maybe more people will discover it.

Freya
04-13-2012, 05:27 PM
No you can come over and play it! xP

Freya
04-13-2012, 06:25 PM
I'll leave the porch light on. Just yell GUST OF WIND DANCE! When you get here so I know it's you and not some creeper at my door.

GhandiOwnsYou
04-14-2012, 03:41 AM
I'll probably rebuy this on PSN, it'll be my gentle reminder that people still enjoy it and we would very much like a sequel. Preferably lacking the amazing ability to tell the SAME STORY in expansive PMV's 15 times, while every main character cues up their amnesia and fires up up their shock and awe over some information they've ALREADY BEEN GIVEN 5 TIMES. I swear, I loved the game, but jesus h christ every time a PMV started it was like a dramatized recap of the previous 5 PMV's.

Hollycat
04-14-2012, 03:51 AM
I know nothing about this game, tell me about it and why i should buy it.

Roto13
04-14-2012, 04:05 AM
I'll probably rebuy this on PSN, it'll be my gentle reminder that people still enjoy it and we would very much like a sequel. Preferably lacking the amazing ability to tell the SAME STORY in expansive PMV's 15 times, while every main character cues up their amnesia and fires up up their shock and awe over some information they've ALREADY BEEN GIVEN 5 TIMES. I swear, I loved the game, but jesus h christ every time a PMV started it was like a dramatized recap of the previous 5 PMV's.
Apparently I have some of that, because I remember *nothing* about the story except my female archer character was randomly replaced with another female archer character. That's the only thing I remember about the story of this game.

NorthernChaosGod
04-14-2012, 08:33 PM
I should really finish this game one of these days. I've started it like three times only to give up about halfway through.

Depression Moon
04-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Man I always wanted this game after trying a demo of it so many years ago. Now I can finally play it on a PS without shelling out a ton of cash.

GhandiOwnsYou
04-15-2012, 03:02 AM
I know nothing about this game, tell me about it and why i should buy it.

It's an admittedly mediocre RPG, honestly. What they did that was amazing for the time was make the battles something you actually had to pay attention to, rather than mash X for half an hour because you set up your party beforehand. It had an interesting timing based physical attack that was the key component to combat. I could try to explain it but... Legend of the Dragoon-All Master Additions - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DemvEHqhyo) So yeah. You time button presses when the spinning square overlaps the stationary square. If you make the hit, you gain SP and the combo continues. Occasionally you'll get a red square, which is the enemy counter attacking, and you have to press a different button to block and continue. Your (unless I'm mistaken, it's been a while) powers a transformation later on which turns you into a badass for a certain number of turns depending on how much you charge up your SP. Magic isn't as important as in most RPG's, and healing items are handled a bit differently as well. Normally you get a 200 hp potion, a 500 hp potion, a 1000 hp potion, etc etc. LoD gives you a 50% max heal individual potion, a 100% max heal individual potion, and 50% and 100% party healing potions. It's kinda nice because you don't end up stockpiling potions that become useless 2 or 3 levels later.

The battle system will probably make or break it for you. While I loved it because it actually kept your attention on the battle and I was suffering from "mindlessly hammer attack" syndrome I've heard several people claim that they get really tired of playing PaRappa the Rapper every time they get in a (frequent) random battle. Aside from that though, the game was beautiful for it's time, offers several really cool environments, has a pretty awesome backstory (even if it hammers you with it repetitively) and has visually aged a lot better than most games of the period. It's one of those games that does so many things well, but what it does wrong it does REALLY wrong. The worst attempts at voice acting I have ever heard, coupled with some of the best looking PMV's of the time. A genuinely cool way to make battle a little more hands on, coupled with transformations that essentially only come in handy when you need a serious defense boost to survive a bosses attacks. A pretty good plot twist that you'll have figured out HOURS before they explicitly say it, making you want to bludgeon the main characters every time they completely lose the plot.

TL;DR It's the Vanilla Coke to Final Fantasy's Coke Classic. Some people are going to love the tweaks and differences, others are going to gag and hate it forever because it tastes weird.

Laddy
04-15-2012, 04:28 AM
It's a bad game I absolutely love.

EDIT: Not to mention it has some of the most incredibly embarassing examples of trying to have cool looking and sounding attack and spell names.

Wolf Kanno
04-16-2012, 06:01 AM
The concept was cool, and I did like the battle system. The cast... is okay and the plot is actually pretty forgettable and mostly predictable.It doesn't help the game gives you one of the most broken powers just before the Final Boss, not to mention the final dungeon itself is completely bizarre and kind of feels like a "oh god, we ran out of money but still need to tie up all these loose ends in the plot, so let's just have it all happen in the final dungeon even if it feels out of place". Its still a fun game, my main party was Dart, Rose, and Albert. The music is actually pretty good as well.

Tranquil
06-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Amazing game, deserves the title of PSOne Classic.

Alpha2099
06-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Amazing game, deserves the title of PSOne Classic.
Agreed. I think it might be my most favorite video game ever.