PDA

View Full Version : (Indoor) Rock Climbing

Jiro
04-13-2012, 09:13 AM
So in a couple hours I should be giving this whole thing a shot. I don't know what to expect really. I mean I climb shit all the time but somehow it doesn't seem quite the same. Any tips or tricks I should know? Had any interesting moments?

Freya
04-13-2012, 09:41 AM
I've always wanted to try this! But I haven't so I will vicariously live through your adventure. HAVE FUN. TAKE PICTURES.

I'm too afraid of heights though. I WANT to do it I just don't think I'd get too far.

Sephex
04-13-2012, 11:58 AM
I did this for some sort of pseudo field trip in High School. I didn't do too bad, if I recall correctly. I got to a point where the wall started to shoot outward on an angle. Yeah, that wasn't happening.

Peegee
04-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Walk in triangles
Move with your legs not your arms
Hands are for holding

Pike
04-13-2012, 02:41 PM
So in a couple hours I should be giving this whole thing a shot. I don't know what to expect really. I mean I climb tit all the time but somehow it doesn't seem quite the same. Any tips or tricks I should know? Had any interesting moments?

I did this once and it was great

It was about 15 years ago, though, so I don't remember any details. xD Just that I thought it was fun!

Slothy
04-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Walk in triangles
Move with your legs not your arms
Hands are for holding

This. Also, you will be sore the next day. Come to terms with this now and all will be good.

Jiro
04-13-2012, 04:01 PM
IT RUINED MY SOFT GIRLY HANDS. RUINED.

Nah that was great fun. Very tough on the ol' body the first time, but I imagine next time I give it a shot my hands won't be such pathetic munchkins and will actually do something. The triangles tip is pretty great, thanks!

I tried giving a couple angled walls a shot and I did alright but trying to get out from there onto the vertical wall was fucking impossible. I ain't no Tom Cruise MI:2

Peegee
04-14-2012, 03:39 AM
I wasn't there to look at the wall but I'm guessing you had to push off a step and grab one of the hand holds on the vertical wall. Just try it again next time :)

ps: I thought Sephex was OP. wtf jiro.

Jiro
04-14-2012, 05:56 AM
Sephex and I have been bro'ing out lately.

Shlup
04-14-2012, 06:33 AM
I've never climbed one of those things. BJ doesn't climb much, but he is a monkey. Last time we went to ESPN Zone he did their hardest rock wall, and got the fastest time for the day, less than an hour before closing. So that was a strange mix of cute and hot.

Hollycat
04-14-2012, 06:41 AM
This really hurt your hands? Come on bro, you're from the land of snakes and dangerous things, and THIS hurt you? I've been climbing walls since I was four years old, including recently rock walls without a rope (nothing over 20 feet yet) and I've never hurt my hands, even on the big ones. Man up bro.

Jiro
04-14-2012, 08:18 AM
My direction of travel is generally downwards in a manner in which I don't use my hands all that much. What can I say, I'm better at wrestlin' crocs than rock climbin'.

Freya
04-14-2012, 08:47 AM
and THIS hurt you?

http://www.assumingcontrol.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/harbyhurtsyou.png

Harby?

Peegee
04-14-2012, 03:27 PM
:D

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=390094452377&saved

TrollHunter
04-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Always trust your legs, I took a rock climbing course last semester and I got so much better at it just because of these common sense tips.
Your legs can do far more work than you think, if you can, move them up and push yourself up.
Also, keep your waist as close to the wall as possible, it allows for easier movement, and your ass won't pull you down (not sarcasm, it can happen)

EDIT: Yeah, I didn't read the rest of the thread, I just wanted to post for once.

GhandiOwnsYou
04-15-2012, 03:46 AM
Climbing is amazing. I highly recommend getting out to some legitimate cliffs if you enjoyed yourself at the indoor walls. Hell, I picked my last apartment because it was within walking distance of a mile long 40-60 foot developed cliff. It's simultaneously more challenging and more relaxing, and I find I climb higher grades outdoors than indoors. It's too easy to bounce from route to route indoors and totally blow yourself out in a few hours. Getting outdoors requires more set up and technical knowledge, and slows you down enough to really recover between climbs. Feeling like an badass mountain man is optional. Growing a wicked beard is recommended. Yes, females too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/GhandiOwnsYou/100_0926.jpg

Hollycat
04-15-2012, 04:06 AM
Climbing is amazing. I highly recommend getting out to some legitimate cliffs if you enjoyed yourself at the indoor walls. Hell, I picked my last apartment because it was within walking distance of a mile long 40-60 foot developed cliff. It's simultaneously more challenging and more relaxing, and I find I climb higher grades outdoors than indoors. It's too easy to bounce from route to route indoors and totally blow yourself out in a few hours. Getting outdoors requires more set up and technical knowledge, and slows you down enough to really recover between climbs. Feeling like an badass mountain man is optional. Growing a wicked beard is recommended. Yes, females too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/GhandiOwnsYou/100_0926.jpg
What's the highest you've done with a rope/ without?

me with: 200-something. That was so scary, but so exhilarating. It almost made me want to become one of those professional climbers.
without: 20 feet. Call me scootaloo.

Peegee
04-15-2012, 04:47 AM
climbing without safety line is silly and scary

ofc i'm not one to say 'nobody should do [that]'