PDA

View Full Version : I am thinking of getting a second job

Pike
04-14-2012, 05:22 AM
Will it drive me completely off the deep end?

How many jobs have you had at once?

Crop
04-14-2012, 05:29 AM
Depends what your current job is and what your current hours are: Elaborate!

For example, I currently work 9 hour days 5 days a week, in a very busy and stressful (yet rewarding) job. If I worked a weekend or evening job, it would drive me completely off the deep end.

krissy
04-14-2012, 05:31 AM
i used to work nights for a while during high school
it was a terrible decision and i had grey hairs and my marks definitely suffered
i don't do that anymore
high school i mean
i'm working right now lol

NeoTifa
04-14-2012, 05:40 AM
I have 2 jobs, and still losing everything.

Peegee
04-14-2012, 05:48 AM
i say go for it, but you will go crazy if you are already working around 40 hrs a week. Apparently life satisfaction and happiness takes a big dip after 40 something hours (probably 44) a week, which was why (surprise surprise) private companies actually championed lowering the work week to 40 hours back in the day.

STRESS
i'm not trying to derail thread into free markets - it was just an interesting tidbit. I once worked 60 hours a week - i was telecommuting too, so it's not like i was spending 14 hours a day out of the house. i still went crazy and had to stop after a month. that's 4 weeks, and only um..crap. 60-44*4 = 16*4 = 64 extra hours of overtime pay. so 80 extra hours translated to 16 + 96 = 112 hours of pay. not worth the stress.

TWO JOBS
i did actually think about getting a second job once. i almost got it too - would've been a receptionist type of job at night, taking calls from elderly people who needed personal support workers to be rescheduled, or to schedule new customers, etc. the reason i didn't get it was they needed me to train during the day for a month, and i didn't have that freedom as i already had a full time job.

why did i need a full time job? well that's another topic for another day that i won't ever get into. suffice to say instead of that, i just got a better job and here i am.

:(!
tl;dr - don't work two jobs if you will end up working 60 hours at minimum wage, unless you HAVE to (in which case i'm very sad and want to state again that you should check out rbc.com/careers and come to canada) - it's almost always better to be paid more for less work, but you're going to say 'duh pg'

i'm sadface now. um..ramble. okay - if you do night shift consider you might have to get trained during the day.

i know lots of people balancing multiple jobs. more sadface.

i'm going to sleep :(

Jiro
04-14-2012, 06:04 AM
Write me more books, I will fully sustain whatever lifestyle you're trying to achieve.

Shlup
04-14-2012, 06:31 AM
I had three jobs at once for awhile. I don't think all three together added up to full time. Right now I have two, both also part time even added together.

My friend worked 70-ish hour weeks at two jobs for the better part of a year. He was dead to the world. One of our games in Skype was everyone else trying to make him forget what day it was. It wasn't a very hard game. But he paid off all his student loans, got promoted at one job and quit the other, and is getting his own place soon.

So, yes, you will go insane. But if at least one of the jobs is low-energy (one of my friend's was parking garage attendant) then you won't die.

Freya
04-14-2012, 09:08 AM
4. I was working about 70 hrs a week. It drove me insane. Seriously. I went into a bit of depression because all I was doing was working and I had no time to myself. I wasn't even checking this lovely place!

If you need it and can manage it, go for it. But If you don't want to go crazy, want time to yourself and don't HAVE to have it then don't.

Sephex
04-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Years ago I had two jobs, but they never interfered with each other, so there wasn't much stress to it. Back then I wasn't required to make nearly as much money as I do now, though.

fire_of_avalon
04-14-2012, 11:07 AM
When I was working the SD I was also working as an office manager for the salvation army, 7 days a w about 78 hours a week for five months. I kind of wish I could go back to that. At least I didn't have time to think about what a crappy situation I was in.

Pike
04-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Depends what your current job is and what your current hours are: Elaborate!

My current job and hours are at the whim of the person who does the scheduling. This coming week I'm getting about 26 hours, the week after I'm getting 38. I never really have a predictable paycheck (or schedule).

If I got a second (part-time) job, I'd have to talk to my current one and sort out hours for sure so they don't overlap. Anyways I doubt both combined would ever go over 50 hours a week, since it would be two part-time jobs, especially since I'll have to limit my available work hours with the first job.

Write me more books, I will fully sustain whatever lifestyle you're trying to achieve.

Working on it! <3

If you need it and can manage it, go for it. But If you don't want to go crazy, want time to yourself and don't HAVE to have it then don't.

Well, I know it's going to drive me crazy because I have anxiety problems like that, but on the other hand I can barely afford to stay afloat as is and I need to pay for MILF & Pike visits and such (he helps, of course, but it's still super expensive). I'm thinking I'll try it for a month or two and if I absolutely lose it I can quit whichever job I hate more. xD

Slothy
04-14-2012, 02:24 PM
I've never had to work two jobs at once, but at various points I have:

1) Studied/spent time in class for upwards of 70+ hours a week in University,
2) Worked full time, while studying for my accounting designation,
3) Worked a job which had me working 45+ hours a week for shit pay which wouldn't be so bad in and of itself except I had to work until 1am every night and still had to get up at 7am the next morning for other things.

All of these situations have been accompanied by various levels of burnout and/or depression. Studying in University wasn't so bad because it was usually just a result of finishing up projects during the last couple of weeks while starting to study for exams and still go to class. It was usually 2-3 weeks then it was done so there was always light at the end of that tunnel. Studying for my designation was less enjoyable because it went on for more than a year. There were breaks between courses here and there, but they were usually filled with more work at a place I hated, so that didn't really help. And the last one was at a call center, so I hated my job and I wasn't sleeping.

Long story short, if a second job is going to mean you don't get enough downtime or sleep, then burnout is going to be a big risk obviously. If you absolutely need the money then there's really no choice, but if the money is more of an added bonus than at least you can try it and quit if it's too much to handle or you hate your second job. Ideally, if the second job is something you actually enjoy then it may not be so bad. But it can be tough otherwise. I really don't think most people are wired for working much more than 40 hours a week to be honest. It's hard enough to get a lot of time to yourself when it's just a full time job and a relationship on your plate.

Laddy
04-16-2012, 12:59 PM
I don't work. I'm a vagrant.

Jessweeee♪
04-16-2012, 01:25 PM
I've only ever had my current job, 40 hours a week. Actually 45, but I take an hour for lunch. I'm thinking of getting a second job because I'm not making enough, but my current one gives me enough stress as it is. A second might drive me insane :(

escobert
04-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Two is the most I've ever had at once. Working more than one job isn't for me. I like free time way too much!