PDA

View Full Version : Titanic: 100 Years Later

SuperMillionaire
04-14-2012, 11:24 PM
It was a cold night on April 14, 1912, when the supposedly "unsinkable" RMS Titanic sailed on its maiden voyage from Southampton, England to New York City, when it hit an iceberg and sank in the very early hours of April 15, and 1,500 people perished; thus, it proved the painfully sad lesson that no ship is unsinkable.

To mark the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, various researchers and historians came together for the Titanic Memorial Cruise, which set sail on Sunday, April 8, and had various descendants of the survivors going on the same cruise, and the interior design of the ship they are sailing on recreates the feel of the experience aboard an early-1900s cruise ship. They will pause at the site of the sinking for a memorial service, and then later, if they don't hit an iceberg again (possibly due to global warming/climate change reducing the number of icebergs in the ocean), they will reach New York City on Friday, April 20, then sail back to Southampton, where it will return on April 29.

In addition, the 1997 Titanic film, which was directed by James Cameron and starred Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, and also had the famous theme song of "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion, was remastered in 3DHD and re-released in theaters.

About 14 years prior to the sinking of the Titanic, in 1898, a novella named Futility, or the Wreck of the Titan, written by author Morgan Robertson, was released. The story describes a fictional ship known as the SS Titan, which sank on an April night in the North Atlantic after hitting an iceberg. It would be a tragic foreshadowing of the sinking of the Titanic.

The Titanic was the second of three ships built by the White Star Line, the first being the RMS Olympic, and the third being the HMHS Britannic. The former managed to have a long career, save for some relatively minor incidents involving collisions with other ships, before being scrapped in 1935, after an incredible 24 years of service, including a stint as a war transport ship during World War I, after which it became a passenger ship again until its retirement. The long career that this ship had earned it the nickname "Old Reliable." The latter, however, met its own demise in 1916 after hitting a mine in the Mediterranean Sea during World War I, and sank about three times faster than the Titanic did, with the loss of 30 lives.

Over the course of the last century, the story of the Titanic still intrigues and fascinates many. Since then, various exploration crews over the decades have visited and revisited the site of the wreckage, looking for more information and artifacts from the wreckage. Some of these artifacts have found shelter at various museums around the world, and has featured extensively in popular culture, including the aforementioned 1997 movie. Meanwhile, cruise ship lines have taken more more extensive safety measures and procedures in order to prevent such tragedies from ever happening again. Today, cruise ships very seldomly sink, and fewer lives are lost whenever a ship does sink.

All in all, after 100 years, the descendants of the survivors can find solace in that they are able to experience the full journey that their ancestors never had, and the story of the Titanic will continue to fascinate and inspire many more generations for centuries to come.

krissy
04-14-2012, 11:31 PM
About 14 years prior to the sinking of the Titanic, in 1898, a novella named Futility, or the Wreck of the Titan, written by author Morgan Robertson, was released. The story describes a fictional ship known as the SS Titan, which sank on an April night in the North Atlantic after hitting an iceberg. It would be a tragic foreshadowing of the sinking of the Titanic.

this was always the most interesting part of the whole thing to me
Futility, or the Wreck of the Titan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futility,_or_the_Wreck_of_the_Titan)

Pike
04-14-2012, 11:42 PM
I never saw the movie. Mite b cool in 3D, I guess, but I'm not sure if that would talk me into finally getting around to watch it.

The idea of the Titanic still being on the ocean is pretty fascinating, though. When I was a kid I had a book full of pictures that they took when they went down there and it was super surreal and neat.

Quindiana Jones
04-16-2012, 06:32 AM

this was always the most interesting part of the whole thing to me
Futility, or the Wreck of the Titan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futility,_or_the_Wreck_of_the_Titan)

Also one of my favourite bizarre coincidences in life. I'm glad this got a mention.

charliepanayi
04-16-2012, 09:03 AM
I do know that the James Cameron film would be a lot better with all the dialogue and the Celine Dion song removed.

Fynn
04-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Just saw the movie for the first time two days ago. I don't know why there's all this hate on this movie. I thought it was great.

Old Manus
04-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Well, Sora Keyheart wanted to rebuild it, but the president said no.

Peegee
04-16-2012, 05:05 PM
hmm...we got a few youngin's here if you haven't seen that movie.

Anyway I saw a documentary once that said that we could raise the titanic from the bottom of the ocean by sinking a comparatively size (mass) ship or object. I cannot begin to fathom that, and I'm actually afraid it will tear the titanic in pieces :p

but it was an intriguing idea. But definitely it would be less risky to get the plans and rebuild it than to raise the wreck and risk damage D:

ps: the movie is not very easy to watch but I've watched it 3 times in the theaters alone (lots of people did not watch it and I just watched it with them). Reminds me of LOTR 1

I Don't Need A Name
04-16-2012, 05:13 PM
I've watched the film about 3 or 4 times now (once when it came out and once at the cinema last week). Personally, I love it, but that's just me.

As for the ship itself, the place is a grave so the idea of raising it is a bit weird. But it would be really, really interesting to fully explore what's inside of it now

krissy
04-16-2012, 05:20 PM
http://media-cache2.pinterest.com/upload/43417583877787001_xbtaOj9t_c.jpg

shouda worn these

Pike
04-16-2012, 05:20 PM
hmm...we got a few youngin's here if you haven't seen that movie.

*shakes cane at you*

Del Murder
04-16-2012, 10:40 PM
I haven't seen it and I'm older than most of you.

And I never will see it!

Roto13
04-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Well, Sora Keyheart wanted to rebuild it, but the president said no.

It got weird when he asked Goofy to draw him like one of his French girls.

Cloud88
04-17-2012, 01:54 AM
I saw it in 3D in the cinema last week. I had seen it previously, (I own it on VHS), but it had been years so I went again. Plus the 3D intrigued me. With regards to the the 3D, I wasn't hit in the face with an icecube, never mind an iceberg, so that was slightly disappointing.

However, after watching the film, I am again reminded of how great a film it is, and also that I think I might be in love with Rose Dewitt Bukater. Seriously, not even messing. I'd become Bryan Dewitt Bukater in a heartbeat.

Cuchulainn
04-17-2012, 02:27 AM
yea we built the ship.

you're welcome.

Jinx
04-17-2012, 04:17 AM
BUILT WITH BIG IRISH HANDS

Pike
04-17-2012, 05:00 AM
Oh good, this gives me yet another excuse to make MILF go into Norn Iron mode. You know, in the name of history and stuff.

Edit: I'm okay with big Irish hands for obvious related reasons.

Old Manus
04-17-2012, 07:28 AM
Harder to drop car bombs?

Quindiana Jones
04-17-2012, 08:06 AM

AND SHODDY EQUIPMENT AND MATERIALS.

Jiro
04-17-2012, 08:10 AM
That's why the pacific ocean is better.

Cloud88
04-17-2012, 10:29 AM

AND SHODDY EQUIPMENT AND MATERIALS.

Hey, it looked pretty, didn't it? We all know that it's what's on the outside that counts, not what's on the inside. So if it floated and looked good, we did our job.

Mirage
04-17-2012, 11:01 AM
What's funny is that if they made the bulkheads actually entirely water proof, it wouldn't have sunk.

Or at least it would have sunk a lot slower.

Cuchulainn
04-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Harder to drop car bombs?

Ah ya see the problem with that is that on the whole Harland & Wolff refused to employ us Catholics so it was mostly built by MILFs crowd. If it was us that built it the exploding semtex would have melted da fuckin iceberg.

True Dat.

Mirage
04-17-2012, 04:45 PM
What is the topic of this thread anyway. I didn't see one in the first post.

Dreddz
04-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Say what you want about the film but it's still one of the most well crafted films ever made. The last hour is a massive achievement in practical and digital effects. Plus it's both respectful and faithful to the ship which is commendable.

charliepanayi
04-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Not so much to the characters though, who seem to be either Mean Rich Person or Ethnic Stereotype.

As a disaster movie and with the ship's sinking etc, Titanic does work very well.

Jinx
04-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Don't forget, "I'm American, so I say SHIT a lot!"

Pike
04-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Speaking of cheesy James Cameron movies, I thought Avatar was okay.

Quindiana Jones
04-18-2012, 12:26 AM
Me too. Obviously it was generic, and let down by the existence of Sam "I only have one facial expression" Worthington, but it was a perfectly decent sci-fi adaptation of Dances with Wolves.

Pike
04-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Exactly!

Roto13
04-18-2012, 02:15 AM
Space Pochahontas was way, way, way too long.

Also 3D glasses suck. (And I own a 3D TV. Why?)