PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to see Final Fantasy characters in more realistic clothes?

SuperMillionaire
04-16-2012, 06:50 PM
I've noticed that with Final Fantasy and other video game characters, they always have special fantasy outfits that would not look good in real life, as cosplays tend to do a poor job at recreating the appearance in the game. (If they were to make these coutfits for a live adaptation film, however, it would probably look better, but that's unlikely to happen anytime soon.) With the recent Prada "photoshoot" of the XIII and XIII-2 cast, I thought that although their regular outfits are pretty cool, it would also be nice to have them dress in more realistic clothes as well, possibly as alternate outfits. Lightning had an Aya Brea cosplay outfit in Dissidia 012, for instance, and I think it would be cool if Serah had a similar tank-top-and-jeans outfit for DLC in XIII-2. In fact, I'd like to see many of the characters, especially Nomura-designed characters, in jeans. Would you?

Jinx
04-16-2012, 07:18 PM
I like the crazy clothes they wear.

And honestly, a lot of it's "realistic" with a twist, more than anything. Look at FF7's clothes. FF9's (for the time period.) Definitely FF8.

Sephex
04-16-2012, 07:42 PM
I want to see Squall dress up as Robert Pattinson. That's my input for today.

ShinGundam
04-16-2012, 07:43 PM
I think NPCs and secondary characters would benefit from realistic clothing more than MCs because NPCs now almost have same clothing and color pattern.

VeloZer0
04-16-2012, 08:51 PM
I defiantly don't want realism, but a few entries have been a little too outlandish for my tastes.

Del Murder
04-16-2012, 10:49 PM
I like the elaborate costumes, but only if they have some kind of utility. For example, Auron's outfit is unique but it still befits him as a warrior. Noel's parachute pants, however...

Wolf Kanno
04-16-2012, 11:36 PM
^ My thoughts exactly. VII and VIII kind of took the more realistic route with clothing design, but I ended up finding them a bit boring to say the least. So I do prefer some exoticism, but then you get some of the clothing designs in FFX and XII... and well perhaps a bit toning down is necessary. I would like if the female characters went away from "stripperific" territory to say the least, but men get some weird things as well, mostly fugly hairstyles like Snow and Seymour. :eep:

I think at the end of the day, functionality works the best, as well as outfits that fit the personality of the characters. Auron and Baltheir both come from games with questionable fashion sense but I felt their outfits were not only practical but really conveyed their personality as well. Lightning and Fang's outfits were also nice direction for female attire after Yuna and Lulu's completely impracticable dresses in FFX, or Lady Ashe's "shortest mini-skirt in the world", and Fran's metal thong stripper wear.

Mercen-X
04-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Yeah, Vaan has been featured in pics with a more practical outfit (was it for Duodecim?) which I wish had been an option to wear in XII rather than his dumbass gigolo outfit.

You mean that you want to see him more scruffy-looking with a lopsided beard and "I just woke up" hairdo?

SuperMillionaire
04-30-2012, 07:34 PM
I like the main costumes too, but since they don't look as good in real-life cosplays as they do in the game, I think that they should also wear more realistic clothes as alternate outfits. And they also need more realistic hairstyles too.

Yeah, Vaan has been featured in pics with a more practical outfit (was it for Duodecim?) which I wish had been an option to wear in XII rather than his dumbass gigolo outfit.

You mean that you want to see him more scruffy-looking with a lopsided beard and "I just woke up" hairdo?

LOL, that's his regular image, As Edward Cullen, however, he's clean-shaven, though he still has that "exotic" hairstyle for his character.

Laddy
05-02-2012, 03:49 AM
FFXIII was a step in the right direction for the most part. FFVIII worked as well.

X, however, is a shame, with the exception of Rikku and Auron. Leather overalls with a hoodie belly-shirt and one short leg longer than the other? :/

And let's not even get started on Lulu...

SuperMillionaire
05-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Lulu is a goth with big boobs...

And Tetsuya Nomura's designs for his characters seem to be a little more "realistic" than the rest of the character designers there. I see his designs as being distinct from all the others.

black orb
05-12-2012, 12:43 AM
>>> I want more heavy armors, FF need less fabric and more metal..:luca:

Mercen-X
05-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Iron Man armor and G.I. Joe Accelerator Suits. Regular ol' knight armor is too clunky. Elven wood armor would be interesting. At least one installment of Final Fantasy should take place in Square's hometown (home country Japan) with armored samurai and robed ninja running the show and shinto monks. An FF where the outer "English-speaking" world is just a small corner of reality. But we're supposed to be talking about clothes and being realistic, right? What exactly is realistic? Shorts with leggings below the knees... above the knees? A Tee with sleeves to the elbows? Baseball caps, visors, sunglasses, elastic wristbands, socks, laced sneakers?

So far, IMO, characters with the most realistic outfits have been Locke; most of 7 apart from Cloud/Zack, Yuffie, Sephiroth, and Aerith; cast of 8 apart from Edea, Raijin and Fujin; cast of 12 in large part dismissing Vaan; cast of 13, I suppose, though I haven't actually played it.

ShinGundam
05-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Heavy armors in FF = Magitek/Mado armor :p

Roogle
05-17-2012, 10:41 PM
What I like to see in video games is consistency. I am fine with costumes in general as long as they look like they came from the world in which the game takes place. If I see elaborate designs on a costume and no one else in the world seems to have anything like that, then I raise an eyebrow. I get that developers want the player character to look unique, but they shouldn't look too unique or it breaks world immersion. That's how I feel about it, anyway.

black orb
05-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Heavy armors in FF = Magitek/Mado armor :p
>>> Those are mechs, not armors..:luca:

Mercen-X
05-23-2012, 11:01 PM
What I like to see in video games is consistency. I am fine with costumes in general as long as they look like they came from the world in which the game takes place. If I see elaborate designs on a costume and no one else in the world seems to have anything like that, then I raise an eyebrow. I get that developers want the player character to look unique, but they shouldn't look too unique or it breaks world immersion. That's how I feel about it, anyway.

Yes.

"It's not me that has the problem. It's everyone else." They're all fashion-autistic.