PDA

View Full Version : May I have your attention, please.

Phoenix Rising
04-17-2012, 04:56 PM
For the past six months the British libertarian and eurosceptic UK Independence Party has been neck and neck with the far-left Liberal Democrats. Opinion polls conducted by various independent sources have been taking place across the United Kingdom and these recent polls have shown that the UK Independence Party is crushing the far-left authoritarian Liberal Democrats. One of Britain's leading newspapers, The Guardian, is running a poll on their website asking people who they support more, the UK Independence Party or the far-left Liberal Democrats. UKIP is currently winning the poll by a wide margin and the poll will still be up for the next two-days. Please take a moment of your time to show your support for freedom and democracy by voting for the UK Independence Party in this poll: If you had to choose, would you vote for Ukip or the Liberal Democrats? | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/poll/2012/apr/17/ukip-lib-dems-which-would-you-choose)

Jiro
04-17-2012, 05:04 PM
The affairs of the motherland are no concern of mine. I'm sure Lizzy baby has got shit under control if things go haywire.

Jinx
04-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Who would've guessed PR is a Tory?

Roto13
04-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Since this isn't EoEO, can I tell you that you're hilariously ignorant?

The Man
04-17-2012, 05:48 PM
>Liberal Democrats
>far-left

lol

The UKIP are terrible in pretty much every way possible.

Peegee
04-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Where's CZ ? I want to know if his country has devolved to Eurabia yet.

Psychotic
04-17-2012, 05:55 PM
voted UKIP just to troll the guardian tbh

When election day rolls around though, I am voting for Plaid Cymru and/or the Scottish Nationalist Party.

Phoenix Rising
04-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Who would've guessed PR is a Tory?

No, I'm definitely not a Tory. If I was a Tory I would be urging people to vote for the LibDems, because:
1. The LibDems are currently in a Coalition with the Tories.
and
2. The Tory politicians are terrified of the rise of UKIP, because a lot of Tories (both supporters and politicians alike) are defecting to UKIP and they are splitting the centre-right vote amongst two large parties.

The UKIP are terrible in pretty much every way possible

Okay, I'll take the bait; Why?

When election day rolls around though, I am voting for Plaid Cymru and/or the Scottish Nationalist Party.

What? If you're that eager to dissolve the Union, the English Democrats might be right up your alley.

The Man
04-17-2012, 06:43 PM
It's been a long time since I followed British politics closely but the last I looked they were basically a more economically right-wing version of the BNP. Maybe less overt in their xenophobia but still pretty obviously xenophobic. It's one thing to be distrustful of the EU - I don't blame anyone there. It's a fundamentally antidemocratic institution with a large number of other problems. But using that as a reason to oppose other things like multiculturalism, immigration, and most of the other crap they oppose is just absurd.

Psychotic
04-17-2012, 07:00 PM
What? If you're that eager to dissolve the Union, the English Democrats might be right up your alley.An English Parliament would be nice, but my views are really based more around being anti-Scotland and anti-Wales. Those people are my genetic inferiors and I think they're getting a bit too big for their boots. They need to be kicked out of the union, then promptly invaded and enslaved just to remind them of their place.

Fonzie
04-17-2012, 07:06 PM
I think we can all agree it's time to bring back the Crown, heh. :smug:

I Don't Need A Name
04-17-2012, 07:10 PM
For one, you're not even from the UK? Two, did you have to keep urging about the Far-Left ideas of the Lib Dems? That isn't part of their title. And as much as I like some of the UKIP stuff, they're still a bunch of arses in the same league as BNP and have about as much chance in elections as The Green Party. Finally, why are you urging people to vote on a Guardian website poll. For one, it's only a poll, it's not gonna change anything. Secondly, a vast majority of forum goers aren't even from the UK, so won't make a difference around election time anyway.

As the wise Boxxy once said:

YOU IZ TROOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLINN'

Old Manus
04-17-2012, 07:31 PM
>Liberal Democrats
>Far-left
>Authoritarian

Actually laughed. Those guys couldn't force me to tie my shoelaces.

I was torn between voting UKIP and NO2EU at the last general election (by virtue of the other four or five choices being horrid) and ended up choosing NO2EU. The Lib Dem candidate got in because students are stupid and buy into targeted political marketing.

NorthernChaosGod
04-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Will the real Slim Shady please stand up?

Peegee
04-17-2012, 07:56 PM
the UK is basically the 1st or 51st state of the USA anyway.

Crop
04-17-2012, 10:13 PM
I can't believe I voted for UKIP once.
I now vote Monster Raving Loony Party every election.

Madame Adequate
04-18-2012, 12:05 AM
For the past six months the British libertarian and eurosceptic UK Independence Party has been neck and neck with the far-left Liberal Democrats.

Those labels still don't mean what you think they mean. UKIP are not libertarian, and they are only eurosceptic because Europeans are foreigners who don't speak English as a first language. They aren't authoritarian either, they're just a bunch of spineless chucklefucks.

Calling the Lib Dems far-left is absolutely hilarious, I'm sorry, but it really is. The Orange Book is a quintessential neo-liberal piece and the party, since coming to power, have lived up to it entirely and have variously refused to oppose the Tories or simply totally supported them on almost every policy issue that has come up. Which is why seeing them as traitors is silly, but more on that in a minute.

Opinion polls conducted by various independent sources have been taking place across the United Kingdom and these recent polls have shown that the UK Independence Party is crushing the far-left authoritarian Liberal Democrats. One of Britain's leading newspapers, The Guardian, is running a poll on their website asking people who they support more, the UK Independence Party or the far-left Liberal Democrats. UKIP is currently winning the poll by a wide margin and the poll will still be up for the next two-days.

Again the Lib Dems are no such thing. They are 'authoritarian' only insofar as they support the status quo, which is of course a right-wing capitalist system of exploitation that can certainly be called authoritarian.

Now, there's something regarding the Lib Dems that as a non-Brit I suspect you are entirely unaware of. Their support currently is not based on proposed policies, but on broken promises. The party has indeed been seen as the most leftist major one in British politics (Which doesn't say a lot) and in the last General Election many people voted for the Lib Dems with the expectation that, if they did indeed gain a measure of power, they would use it to moderate the Tories and/or the treasonous Labour Party, who have long since betrayed their working class supporters and are now the Tories but a different color. As it turned out, the Lib Dems are the Tories but another different color; they have resolutely refused to oppose any Tory proposal, no matter how vile, and their original motivation for caving in on everything was to secure a referendum on the possibility of switching our voting system from First Past the Post to Alternative Voting, where they completely failed to convince the public of its merits and completely failed to successfully oppose the Tory propaganda machine that destroyed AV's prospects for at least a generation.

Since the vote they've had no excuse at all; they just say "Well without us it would be even WORSE" except there is no evidence at all that they have softened Tory policies in the slightest. Of course, if you actually read The Orange Book this wouldn't come as a surprise but who does research into political parties these days?

Now, regardless of what you think of everyone's policies and actions here, the important point to take away from this post is that while the Tories are doing exactly what everyone expects them to - fucking the poor, demonizing minorities, and failing to accept that life for the 99% is not the same as life for the 1% - the Lib Dems are seen as traitors. They are considered to have betrayed their party's ideals and it is a fact that they have betrayed some very important election promises to their core voters. It's not remotely surprising that this would drive large numbers of people away from them, and this poll more probably says something about their betrayals than it does about support for UKIP.

Anyway vote Monster Raving Loony Party all day erry day or gtfo.

Quindiana Jones
04-18-2012, 12:21 AM
You could replace UKIP with literally anything, and it would still score higher than the Lib Dems on the opinion polls. People would rather another outbreak of the bubonic plague than show any kind of support for the Lib Dems. Even under plain shitty governments, people often have one or two things about them that they liked; Gordon Brown did this right, Blair managed this, Major fixed this, Cameron gently licked my testicles for only £250k etc. There is not a single thing that anyone can commend the Lib Dems on. xD

I say we just reinstate the monarchy. Give them another shot. It's not like they could fuck everyone over any worse than the Tories have managed.

Fonzie
04-18-2012, 12:59 AM
"..." I say we just reinstate the monarchy. Give them another shot. It's not like they could smurf everyone over any worse than the Tories have managed.

I think we can all agree it's time to bring back the Crown, heh. :smug:

:greenie:

Mirage
04-18-2012, 01:01 AM
I like how this thread is turning into a display of how wrong some people are

Quindiana Jones
04-18-2012, 01:07 AM
We're in GC, Mirage. The time for piss-taking is nigh! xD