PDA

View Full Version : Wanna lose weight? Try Mono!

leader of mortals
04-19-2012, 04:16 AM
So, the past 3 weeks have been pretty much hell for me. It all started with some mild headaches, which started getting worse and worse, and some mild fevers, up to about 101. I then went to my doctor, and she said that she thought I had Mono, and had me take a blood test. I did, and it came back negative. Mono juked me out. I then went back a few days later, and I felt better on that day, so I decided I was probably getting better, but then, a couple days later, I had a fever of 103.3, which I think is a lifetime high score for me(Woot!). I went to the emergency room and the doctor there did another Mono test, after looking at my symptoms and my throat, which was now filled with white pus pockets.

This time, it came back positive, and so I had a follow-up with my doctor, who tested my liver functions to make sure I didn't have Mono Hepatitis, which would have meant I would be on bed-rest for 2 weeks. I did. This was 2 weeks ago, btw. Anyways, a few days after that, my throat kept feeling worse and worse, and soon it started to swell to the point that it was too painful to drink even water. I became extremely dehydrated, and had to have an overnight stay at the hospital. After a bit over 4 liters of fluid over 24 hours and some IV steroids, I started to feel better, and I finally started to get better and better after then.

Now, I'm cleared to return to college after 3 weeks of missing classes, and I have to take incompletes in every class. I've lost 12 pounds over 3 weeks, most of that in the week where my throat was closing shut, and I can't kiss my beautiful glasses girl, Kelsey, for about a month. I also can't overwork myself, because, if I do, the Hepatitis from the Mono can come right back and knock me back on my ass.

So, topic of this thread: Have you had Mono? How bad was it? Any other sicky-times you'd like to talk about?

fire_of_avalon
04-19-2012, 04:23 AM
I immediately feel badly for everytime I've ever complained about a mild illness now. Jeez louise. :(

The illest (lmao) I've been both happened in college. I got Strep throat for the first time as a freshman and it made me a zombie. I got the flu for the first time as a junior and for two weeks my bones hurt. I pretty much was okay with the idea of dying.

TIL I'm a wuss and you're awesome. btw each of those instances are the only times I've had those ailments. >:]

Sephex
04-19-2012, 04:30 AM
The worst I ever got was being incapacitated for a whole week. Everything I tried to ate just came back up. If I didn't eat, I would dry heave. My head felt like it was going to float away. All of my dreams were indescribably weird. I tried listening to the free Killer Cuts CD that game with Killer Instinct for the SNES. That just made things worse.

Jinx
04-19-2012, 04:50 AM
I'll stick with my tape worms for weight loss, thanks.

Get better soon!

Pike
04-19-2012, 05:57 AM
I tried listening to the free Killer Cuts CD that game with Killer Instinct for the SNES. That just made things worse.

But that was a great CD!

Bunny
04-19-2012, 08:04 AM
One time I had a stomach bug for about 2 weeks. I lost 20 pounds.

Sephex
04-19-2012, 11:59 AM
I tried listening to the free Killer Cuts CD that game with Killer Instinct for the SNES. That just made things worse.

But that was a great CD!

It was alright. Many parts of it tried to too be "X-TREME!!!!!" However, to me that approach backfired and came off like, "THIS CD IS TOTALLY RADICAL (but hey it's still family friendly besides that edgy Orchid remix). Not that I needed a Killer Instinct CD to be vulgar, but still. The only track I somewhat appreciate today is Fulgore's mix because it kind of sounds like Front Line Assembly.

NeoTifa
04-19-2012, 04:13 PM
I had bronchitis really bad last spring. Between stressing for finals, my grandpa dying, moving, and other stuff, my immune system was severely compromised, and I got like really bad sick. I couldn't even walk around without an inhaler.

Quindiana Jones
04-19-2012, 07:53 PM
I immediately feel badly for everytime I've ever complained about a mild illness now. Jeez louise. :(

This is why I measure inflictions on a Lance Armstrong Scale. Is it as bad as Lance Armstrong had it? If yes, complain. If no, shut it, you wuss. Makes you look like a total badass when you actually have to go to hospital.

Parker
04-19-2012, 08:50 PM
year before last i was sick over christmas, my boss hated me for cancelling christmas eve and took all my overtime because she thought i was lying.

i was in bed except when i was poopin liquids every 10 mins or so

Crop
04-19-2012, 11:08 PM
My appendix burst while it was still inside me.

It was quite simply the worst thing I've ever had to go through.