PDA

View Full Version : Underrated Games

Pike
04-19-2012, 06:03 AM
What are some underrated games that more people should have played?

I'll start with this one:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Q_hABXJBzvk/Tdwx50HNyyI/AAAAAAAABA0/91B9vN-ZxSI/s1600/snes-magical-quest-starring-mickey-mouse-the-box-front.jpg

Great 2D platformer from Capcom. It was sort of like Mega Man "Lite" or something and it was SO great.

leader of mortals
04-19-2012, 07:29 AM
Radiata Stories: This game had me laughing my ass off and had me crying my eyes out. The story is just so amazingly done. The pacing is good, there is a split path that makes you want to play it again, there are 177 playable characters that you can unlock, leading to a long, side-quest heavy(Even though some are as short as "Talk to her and she joins you"), replayable game with an optional, post-game dungeon that is fun and tests you and your choice of party members. Fun combat, great story, great replayability, I've never heard anyone ever talk about this game outside of this forum or Youtube videos about this game. Ever.

Arc The Lad: Twilight of the Spirits: As someone who has never played the original Arc The Lad games, I can't really give too much of an opinion on this, but I remember talking about this game on this site, and, when I did, I was instantly told that this game is terrible when compared to the originals. That may be true, but this game still shouldn't be thrown aside. It's a great game with a good story and pretty fun battles. I greatly enjoy this game when I decide to pick it up.

Megaman Legends 1 and 2: Oh my god, I love these games. I always loved Megaman as a kid, and to play it in 3D, to be able to delve into ruins and search for items to make weapons and to fight awesome bosses, these are easily some of my favorite games. I really wish Megaman Legends 3 wouldn't have been canned, I would have bought 2 Nintendo 3DS systems and 2 games so I could play it in 6D. I wouldn't have halted for a second. Unfortunately, these game remains rather unknown, and I find that to be a shame.

Tomba!: I've never actually owned this game, I had it on an old Playstation Demo Disc back in the day, but I did acquire through... less legal means(I downloaded that shit), and it still holds up today, in my eyes. It is a bit confusing, but it is a solid, funny, and fun platformer that no one knows about.

Shattered Dreamer
04-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Lets see : The Saboteur - A sandbox game that involved saving 1940's Paris from the Nazi's. I really don't get why this game wasn't more popular! An Irish main character who's one liners & accent were just so racist against Irish people in general that I loved it (I'm Irish btw not a racist). Free roaming around 1940's Paris & the surrounding countryside is awesome as your character can scale buildings Assassin's Creed style. Destroying random military targets around the city actually directly effected how difficult story missions in those areas would be. There are rumours of a sequel which would be awesome.

Medievil - Probably one of the most fun games on the PSX. I had this game (lost my copy!?!) but bought it off the PSN a couple of weeks ago on a whim & I'm glad I did. The level design is interesting. The graphic style for it's day was great. My only gripe with this game is the controls can be awful clumsy especially when you're trying to avoid death via pitfall or hazard. It may have received critical acclaim but I'm the only person I know that ever bought the game. It's on PSN so no excuses people.

Slothy
04-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Magical Quest was great. There are some good ones so far and for the time being I'll add Way of the Samurai to the mix. That game was so many different kinds of awesome it's tough to describe adequately. It certainly had the best use of a branching story line I've ever seen in a game.

Also, I'll add Resident Evil: Outbreak. Shitty online implementation and communication aside, some of those levels were cool, and it had a ton of great ideas; weapon crafting from spare parts, barring doors to slow down zombies, hordes that pursue you relentlessly. I'd love to see a game take those ideas and expand on them, though Project Zomboid kind of does that already I suppose. There aren't nearly enough Zombie games that are about actually surviving the zombie apocalypse.

Jinx
04-19-2012, 03:36 PM
I could barely get through Radiata Stories, the gameplay was so bad. (As in, "I got bored" as opposed to, "I couldn't do it.")

Scotty_ffgamer
04-19-2012, 04:48 PM
The Magical Quest was one of my favorite games as a kid. That and the SNES Lion King game took up a surprising amount of my free time when I was younger.

A game I have always enjoyed but no one I know has played (probably because it was for the Turbografx) is Final Lap: Twin. A racing rpg with random encounters with other racers. It probably really wasn't that great of a game, but I loved it and have always wanted to get other people to play it.

Roto13
04-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Lets see : The Saboteur - A sandbox game that involved saving 1940's Paris from the Nazi's. I really don't get why this game wasn't more popular! An Irish main character who's one liners & accent were just so racist against Irish people in general that I loved it (I'm Irish btw not a racist). Free roaming around 1940's Paris & the surrounding countryside is awesome as your character can scale buildings Assassin's Creed style. Destroying random military targets around the city actually directly effected how difficult story missions in those areas would be. There are rumours of a sequel which would be awesome.

It was a little rough around the edges, and that Midnight Show stuff was embarrassingly stupid, but I really enjoyed this game. My husband guided me to the top of the Eiffel Tower in that game because it's basically the same inside as it is in real life. :P He was like "Climb those stairs, there's an elevator that'll take you to the observation platform." Nice.

Alpha2099
04-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Gosh, I'm having a hard time thinking of any games I've played that might be considered underrated. I agree with Shattered Dreamer about MediEvil. I've had that game ever since I've owned a PlayStation, and I still love it. The controls are clunky, yes, but overall the gameplay is wonderful.

I'll throw out two games. The first is called Descent. It's a 3D flight sim/FPS combo that was revolutionary for its time (1995), cashing in on the success of similar recent FPS titles like Wolfenstein 3D and Doom. Basically, you fly around blasting robots, blow up reactors, and escape within a time limit. Fun stuff that garnered a couple sequels, though it's largely been forgotten about. It still has a small cult following, though.

The second game is Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and its expansion, Alien Crossfire. Simply put, it's Civ in space. But I love it more than any of the Civ games. There's just something I find really cool about it. I've loved it since I was a kid. It never took off, though, and it went out of print fairly quickly, but if sniff around the internet you can pick up a copy real cheap.

leader of mortals
04-19-2012, 05:43 PM
I could barely get through Radiata Stories, the gameplay was so bad. (As in, "I got bored" as opposed to, "I couldn't do it.")

D:

Sephex
04-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Zelda:Windwaker.

Come at me, bro.

Shattered Dreamer
04-19-2012, 05:59 PM
It was a little rough around the edges, and that Midnight Show stuff was embarrassingly stupid, but I really enjoyed this game. My husband guided me to the top of the Eiffel Tower in that game because it's basically the same inside as it is in real life. :P He was like "Climb those stairs, there's an elevator that'll take you to the observation platform." Nice.

I bought the game 2nd hand so I didn't get the Midnight show dlc until it was made free a while back. Topless burlesque dancers really added nothing to the game :lol:

Quindiana Jones
04-19-2012, 07:34 PM
I also loved The Saboteur. The challenges were really fun, for the most part. And the character was definitely one of the worst fake Irish people I've ever heard (and I live with a Northern Irish guy :p), but it was so bad that it was kind of endearing, haha.

Pike
04-19-2012, 10:31 PM
The second game is Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and its expansion, Alien Crossfire. Simply put, it's Civ in space. But I love it more than any of the Civ games. There's just something I find really cool about it. I've loved it since I was a kid. It never took off, though, and it went out of print fairly quickly, but if sniff around the internet you can pick up a copy real cheap.

YOU ARE MY NEW FAVORITE PERSON ON THE FORUM. :love:

(...aaaand no one else on the forum is surprised)

Alpha2099
04-19-2012, 10:50 PM

(...aaaand no one else on the forum is surprised)
Yayz! :D

Del Murder
04-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Magical Quest brings back fond memories.

Another game I thought underrated back in the day was Paladin's Quest for SNES. It's a fun little RPG that uses an interesting magic system (there is no MP and all spells use HP), and throughout the game you construct your party by hiring mercenaries that can be found virtually anywhere, creating some varied experiences.

Laddy
04-19-2012, 11:46 PM
I just starting playing this bad boy.
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa23/jeffvv45/jeffvv46/anachronoxisokk3.jpg
Game is sweet.

Lionx
04-19-2012, 11:52 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61bzd4N9TXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://psoneclassics.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Klonoa1-300x296.jpg

GhandiOwnsYou
04-20-2012, 04:19 AM
Startropics for NES. That game was frickin awesome, but I've run into very few people that ever played it. Vectorman for Genesis seemed to widely promoted, but I never ran into anyone else that ever played it.

This is my own personal pet peeve, but Aggressive Inline for PS2. Back in the day when Tony Hawk was still halfway popular and they were releasing X-TREME PRO everything, they released an inline skating game called Aggressive Inline. It was the first game to do away with 2:00 time limits, have really interactive levels, feature the now standard "find this guy and get your next challenge" open world style of play, and a million other now standard gameplay points. It was nigh on flawless, except for the simple fact that it was rollerblading and rollerblading was not cool anymore by this point. As such, no one bought it, Tony Hawk ripped EVERYTHING off from it (though it took them two games and several years) and then everyone else ripped off Tony Hawk again.

Del Murder
04-20-2012, 05:53 AM
Startropics is underrated? I thought most nerds know about it.

Old Manus
04-20-2012, 09:57 AM

(...aaaand no one else on the forum is surprised)I saw the little rep icon on his post and immediately knew it must have been you.

I thought the Mark of Kri was a pretty good game that nobody played. It was like Manhunt except with swords and cartoon violence.

Raistlin
04-22-2012, 06:10 PM
http://videogamegal.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/zombies-ate-my-neighbors-snes-cover.jpg

Araciel
04-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Jumping Flash! 2 (ps1)
Rocket Knight Adventures (genesis)

I Took the Red Pill
04-23-2012, 06:42 PM
-Brave Fencer Musashi
-Intelligent Qube
-Croc: Legend of the Gobbos
-Legend of Legaia
-The Simpsons: Hit & Run
-Okage: Shadow King

I'll also emphatically agree with whomever said Descent and Arc the Lad:TotS

Alpha2099
04-24-2012, 12:56 AM
I'll also emphatically agree with whomever said Descent...
Hooray! Another fan! :D

GhandiOwnsYou
04-24-2012, 02:27 AM
Startropics is underrated? I thought most nerds know about it.

I've seen a few top 25 lists mention it, but I still consider it underrated. It's one of those that a good chunk of nerds know, but the average NES player never heard of it. At least I always got that impression.

NeoCracker
04-24-2012, 03:17 AM
I'll join in in Windwaker and Magical Quest.

I'll also add in Brigandine: Legend of Forsena. One of the greatest SRPG's ever made and it was on the PS1. No one played it though. :(

Magical Quest brings back fond memories.

Another game I thought underrated back in the day was Paladin's Quest for SNES. It's a fun little RPG that uses an interesting magic system (there is no MP and all spells use HP), and throughout the game you construct your party by hiring mercenaries that can be found virtually anywhere, creating some varied experiences.

You know, I actually owned this game and did enjoy it.

That said, I in no way will say it is under rated. It's graphics were aweful for when it came out. The first breath of Fire shames this game badly.

I liked the HP Idea on the spells, but they were no where near useful enough to make up for the HP loss. Just going pure physical got the job done just as good, if not better. There are way to few exceptions to this.

And the story was pretty damn basic, so it gets no points there.

Again though, I did find it enjoyable for some reason. :p

Hollycat
04-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Freelancer
This PC game is overlooked so often, but it had pretty much the greatest multiplayer of its time, and was nearly copied to create EVE online. Freelancer is quite honestly the largest game ever made.
It is not as long as it could be, but the fans who have found it have created over 700 hour of additional story line gameplay, hundreds of ships, new weapons, engines, star systems, enemies, etc.

There is even voice acting in Crossfire.

This is one of the greatest games of all time, but I'm pretty sure I am the only person on this forum who has played it. You all should try it, it is only ten USD, or you could become like Jack Sparrow if you know what I mean.

escobert
04-25-2012, 03:11 AM
Saga Frontier 1 & 2. Both are beautiful games that are very fun to play and VERY repayable.

Flying Arrow
04-26-2012, 01:23 AM
I'll also add in Brigandine: Legend of Forsena. One of the greatest SRPG's ever made and it was on the PS1. No one played it though. :(

I played that. Good game from what I remember.

Depression Moon
04-27-2012, 09:11 PM
People need to play Beyond Good & Evil, Okami, and Threads of Fate.

Dr. rydrum2112
04-28-2012, 04:17 AM
The Dig a SCUMM game from Lucas Arts- I loved it (still enjoy it as I replayed it last year).

Breine
04-29-2012, 07:36 PM
I have a soft spot for the first Bloody Roar game. Bloody Roar 2 was also pretty good, even though they axed Fox :(

Del Murder
04-30-2012, 04:40 AM
I loved The Dig. I should play it again.

Dr. rydrum2112
04-30-2012, 04:36 PM
I loved The Dig. I should play it again.

Its on Steam. I think you can get it in a package with a bunch of old school SCUMM games too.

The plot was pretty deep for me when I was a kid- and it was still good when I replayed it.