PDA

View Full Version : Thanks again, Cracked.com...

MJN SEIFER
04-19-2012, 03:13 PM
EDIT: I think I overreacted when I posted this, It was really immature for me to post this. I try not to act like this anymore, and I think I've done alright up until now, but I forge emotional attachments to some shows/movies I grew up with, and some that just mean something to me, I don't mind if people hate them, I accept opinions. Sorry if I caused any uproar with this/

Quindiana Jones
04-19-2012, 07:16 PM
I knew before I clicked that link that it was gonna be The Animals of Farthing Wood. One of the finest shows ever made. My grandparents (who live in a cottage in the Devon countryside) had the VHS and I used to watch it every time I was round. I did recently search for it on YouTube and, upon watching the first 3 minutes of the first episode, exclaimed "Christ. These old TV shows didn't fuck around!". xD

I expected the Moomins to be on there, too. Also one of the finest shows ever made. I've never heard of Plague Dogs, but watching that opening scene has made me realise that England is a shitty place filled with shitty people. :(

Roto13
04-19-2012, 09:32 PM
I don't know how you can watch baby mice get impaled on a tree while their mother watches and say that it's not horrifying.

Pike
04-19-2012, 10:36 PM
I love Cracked. One of their World of Warcraft articles has a picture of one of my characters in it. Seriously, they google image searched up some screenshot I took and put it up there.

Also: the Watership Down movie is super overrated. (Not the book, though. The book is great.)

Edit: I didn't know there was a Plague Dogs cartoon. That's strange to me because the book was really quite dark and bizarre. Definitely not kids' stuff.

MJN SEIFER
04-19-2012, 11:25 PM
Thank you everyone for answering, I will admit that I was kind of venting.

I don't know how you can watch baby mice get impaled on a tree while their mother watches and say that it's not horrifying. It's not that it wasn't horrifying, it was in a sense, but I meant that Cracked seemed to implying that it was only horrifying and not sad as well. The article and the Cracked fans on YouTube make it out like it was trying to just scare kids for the sake of it, but really the scene was more about the surviving mice's reaction to it, which is more tear inducing than nightmare inducing.

I love Cracked. One of their World of Warcraft articles has a picture of one of my characters in it. Seriously, they google image searched up some screenshot I took and put it up there.

Also: the Watership Down movie is super overrated. (Not the book, though. The book is great.)
Really? Hey that's kind of cool :) As for Watership Down, well... I dunno, I tend not to care if something's "overrated" or not, no offence meant of course, but I just "follow my heart" as it were. So I just like the movie because I grew up with it, not read the book, but would like to. Not trying to argue with you though, :)

To be honest, as much as I like WD, there's far more movies out there (and even some TV shows) that mean more to me sentimentally than WD ever did. In fact, the part of WD that I get sentimental over is the fact that it has one of my favorite songs in it (and I have a lot of favorite songs anyway), and it's more the song itself than the movie.

Yeah, I guess I probably over reacted. It's only when they talk about kid's shows I get annoyed at Cracked, so I guess I'm more sensitive there or something. I love looking at stuff about videogames on Cracked though. It's kind of fun what you can find out.

Mirage
04-20-2012, 02:06 AM
Ah, the animals of farthing wood. Nothing like a touch of realism in your childrens shows.

Quindiana Jones
04-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Not so much a touch as a harsh strike.

MJN SEIFER
04-20-2012, 01:37 PM
I would like to apologise for this thread. I kind of overreacted I guess, so sorry if set off anything.

I think the reason it annoyed me is because hardly anyone seems to remember the nicer stuff, it showed death yeah, but it also had nice moments. Like I say, I'm not saying it was impossible for some kid to be scared by that scene, it's just that Cracked seem to imply it was a show that just showed random animals die for no reason.

Anyway sorry for posting this.

Old Manus
04-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Not so much a touch as a harsh strike.Nothing says 'realism' like talking animals being impaled on twigs

Quindiana Jones
04-20-2012, 06:07 PM
If they made modern kid's shows by Farthing Wood standards, Rosie and Jim would be crack whores and the Chuckle Brothers would kidnap children.

Psychotic
04-20-2012, 07:01 PM
If they made modern kid's shows by Farthing Wood standards, Rosie and Jim would be crack whores and the Chuckle Brothers would kidnap children.what is wrong with you

and how the smurf are rosie and jim and chucklevision "modern" they're both sodding older than the animals of farthing wood.

this is literally the worst smurfing post i have ever seen

you are actually worse than steve

no hint of irony

not joking

i have more respect for steve than for you at this moment and for all moments yet to come.

you sicken me

DMKA
04-20-2012, 07:21 PM
As someone who's never seen or heard of The Animals of Farthingwood, I must say it looks and sounds horrifying.

I watched both Watership Down and The Plague Dogs one weekend at home by myself. Watership Down was unpleasant to say the least, but not as moving as so many people told me it was. The Plague Dogs though...Jesus Christ what a screwed up movie. That scene they mention wasn't even the worst one, in my opinion.

Jiro
04-20-2012, 07:21 PM
That fucking Pheasant. Every time I just wanted him to not be an idiot and look out. But yeah Animals of Farthing Wood was pretty insane.

MJN SEIFER
04-20-2012, 08:13 PM
As someone who's never seen or heard of The Animals of Farthingwood, I must say it looks and sounds horrifying.

I'm still sorry for posting this, but I will say that it isn't as bad as people make it out to be. THe animals die, but it's done in a heartfealt way, but each to their own I guess. I used to watch it all the time when it was on, in addition to the deaths there were some nice awww moments. It was touching to me, but I'm sorry if this thread caused uproar.

Quindiana Jones
04-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Rosie and Jim are older than Farthing Wood? My entire world view has been broken.