PDA

View Full Version : Space Ghost Coast to Coast

Baloki
04-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Yar, so as part of the East Coast metup I'll be visiting this country known as the US of A and hitting up both the San Francisco Bay area on the West Coast before flying over to the East Coast to be in the Washington DC area, sooooooo...

Anyone got any suggestions of what I should do or visit when I'm at either of these places? Any exciting landmarks or places of interest?

So far for San Fran I've got in mind Angel Island, Alcatraz, the Golden Gate Bridge, the town of Strawberry and the Cable Cars. For Washington I'm thinking the Smithsonian and downtown DC.

So tell me what's good folks :D

Psychotic
04-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Go to Pier 39 in San Francisco. There's some god damn lions of the sea out there. It's cool.

Baloki
04-21-2012, 12:21 PM
:D:D!

Fonzie
04-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Come to Houston. We have a lesbian mayor and Vietnamese people that preform tai chi in the streets! :cool:

Shlup
04-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Go to Pier 39 in San Francisco. There's some god damn lions of the sea out there. It's cool.

You kind of have to go to Pier 39 to go to Alcatraz.

Don't forget China Town and Japan Town!

Baloki
04-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Come to Houston. We have a lesbian mayor and Vietnamese people that preform tai chi in the streets! :cool:

Where's Houston? Will we have a problem?

You kind of have to go to Pier 39 to go to Alcatraz.

Don't forget China Town and Japan Town!

What's a Japan town?

Miriel
04-22-2012, 12:44 AM
Please don't call it San Fran. :(

You can rent a bike from Fisherman's Wharf and bike across the Golden Gate Bridge. I would avoid the official cable cars since the lines are long and they get super crowded and opt for one of the cable car tour companies. There's some good ones that provide you with blankets and drinks on cold foggy days. Alcatraz you can also do during the night if you're up for it. I would be terrified though.

San Francisco is a huge drinking town. You can get plastered at any one of the dive bars in China town, or check out Bourbon and Branch, a super popular speak easy bar where you need a password to get in.

If it's a nice day, you can grab some sandwiches from Ike's (I HIGHLY recommend the the menage e tois) and walk over to Dolores Park for a picnic. Followed by a stroll to SF's most popular ice cream shop, Bi-Rite. They have an amazing balsamic strawberry ice cream, although they're most known for their salted caramel. Or you can head over to Golden Gate Park and go for a hike, walk and explore, or hit up the multitude of museums inside the park like the Academy of Science or the DeYoung. After the park it's an easy walk or drive down the street for tons of yummy food places. My favorite in the area is San Tung where you'll find sweet deep fried chicken that will make you weep.

There's a weekly food truck and farmer's market meetup called Off the Grid that is totally worth checking out, especially if you come from an area where food trucks aren't prevalent. SF has some of the best food trucks in the nation and one of the few food truck friendly city policies.

There's lots of funky shopping on the famous Haight and Ashbury. And if you wanted to, it would be really easy to score weed in this area. The smell is always in the air.

Try if you can to catch a baseball game at AT&T Park. It's a gorgeous stadium and people here are incredibly devoted to their SF giants. Get seats, grab a hot dog and some garlic fries and you're good to go.

There is crazy amazing food in SF. Some of the best anywhere. So be sure to check out as much of the food scene as possible. You can do everything from Michelin star fine dining to huge ass burritos at 2AM when you're drunk and mysteriously wind up in the Mission with hobos harassing you for money.