PDA

View Full Version : Unfinished Business

Pike
04-23-2012, 05:45 AM
Today at work I spent about an hour trying to get one of those label guns to work (because it was busted) and I felt like I was SO close to figuring it out and making a breakthrough, and then my shift was up. And I got cranky about it, because I couldn't finish what I'd started.

I also get cranky about things like, for example, having to leave and go to work in the middle of solving some crazy computer problem or something.

Does anyone else get like this?

Shlup
04-23-2012, 07:16 AM
I tend to start five different things and bounce from thing to thing, but so help you if you try and get me to stop any one of them!

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
04-23-2012, 08:13 AM
Indeed. If I start working on removing/installing a major component on one of my helicopters, I get pretty frustrated if I can't finish it and somebody on the other shift starts working on it. 'Tis frustrating indeed. Even more so if they start working on it and don't finish it, but leave me to finish it without telling me what work they did do on it. -grrface-

Chris
04-23-2012, 10:02 AM
I sometimes clock in early, just so I can finish what I started on the day before. People call me crazy for "working free", but I can't help it. I don't like starting things, without finishing them.

Old Manus
04-23-2012, 10:26 AM
I envy you guys. I have a crippling problem with finishing what I started too quickly.

Sephex
04-23-2012, 11:55 AM
The way my work is set up the work flow is constant so there is no beginning or end. One day at a time...one day at at time.

Jinx
04-23-2012, 04:55 PM
They force you to clock out, Pike? That's weird. Especially for a computer issue. Most places I've worked will keep you on the clock if you're doing something like that.

I've gotten "talked to" at 4 out of the 5 jobs I've worked out. I always do my work with detail; I'm a huge perfectionist. Because of that, I take time doing it not SLOWER, just more THOROUGH. It takes longer, and people get pissed. And then the next day they bitch about how so-and-so didn't do their work right.

I'm sorry, but if I'm going to do something, it's getting done right. Or not at all.

Old Manus
04-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Ah, the excuse of every slow worker.

Peegee
04-23-2012, 05:38 PM
no government jerbs for piku - the inactivity will drive her bananas

I hate having broken computers i can't fix before i sleep. or go to work. bah.

fix it for me.

Pike
04-23-2012, 05:48 PM
They force you to clock out, Pike? That's weird. Especially for a computer issue. Most places I've worked will keep you on the clock if you're doing something like that.

Well, it wasn't a computer issue, it was me messing with something minor. Also, the store closed. xD

Jiro
04-23-2012, 07:42 PM
I do not like leaving a problem unresolved.

rubah
04-24-2012, 02:30 AM
lesson I learned early in life from my dad

little rubah lying on the living room carpet trying to figure out how to build a house of cards

fail fail fail

cry cry cry

"you're tired, you should stop"

"NO"

but I should have. no sense in beating a dead horse only to make yourself beat. If you're right on top of a solution, then ok work a little overtime, else say fuck it and come back in the morning

Freya
04-24-2012, 02:55 AM
I leave projects unfinished all the time. When it's work though, I'm super speedy about it. I devote all my time to it, get it done quickly then realize that if I can do that in just a bit of time why don't I do something else? Then I realize I don't have to, and I get lazy. Unless i'm super mega bored. Then I do like three things that should take everyone else forever and then get bored promptly after. But at least I can't get yelled at, at work.

jenovajunkie
04-24-2012, 03:06 AM
Hey, resuming it later is not quitting. But of the labeller is broken, then thats not your problem, I know thats not the issue, but it should be thought about. Why are you using your intelligence on that. You can always go at it again next shift.....Again I know this isn't the issue.

escobert
04-25-2012, 03:28 AM
I envy you guys. I have a crippling problem with finishing what I started too quickly.

Are we related some how?

drotato
04-25-2012, 04:18 AM
I just started a new job, and I pretty much refuse to take breaks because there is so much stuff to do. I don't get hungry enough to eat during the day, and I feel useless if I take a ten minute break. So yeah, I get frustrated easily when there's so much I need to do and then it's time for me to go home. xD

My boss literally had to peel me from the register today, because there were a bunch of people coming up, and I didn't want to just leave them there. And he came over and started laughing, and was like "Nikki, just go home." xD