PDA

View Full Version : Versus XIII turning into a Duke Nukem Forever?

Jiro
04-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Square Enix are having all sorts of staff leave the company (http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Final-Fantasy-Versus-XIII-Director-Leaves-Square-Enix-41680.html), on top of what is already one of the longest development periods for one of their games. Although they insist that Versus XIII will eventually see the light of day, I'm becoming somewhat of a skeptic.

VeloZer0
04-23-2012, 09:48 PM
If Duke Nukem can get released I have faith that this can.

What I really think this needs is a title change to make it look like there is actual work getting done.

ShinGundam
04-23-2012, 10:23 PM
What saddens me is that their isn't much of investment now in Japan beyond Mobile and browsing gaming, If you wonder where these guys did go you should now it is all about GREE and Mobage. :'(

Laddy
04-23-2012, 10:32 PM
I was really excited for this but now I'm downright impatient. :/

Wolf Kanno
04-24-2012, 03:48 AM
I'm sure it will get released, though I'm seriously beginning to doubt it will live up to the hype its getting. It may end up as a flawed masterpiece like Xenogears or FFXII.

Del Murder
04-24-2012, 06:20 AM
It is their Duke Nukem, the differences being that we won't have to wait as long and the final product will actually be worth playing.

Hollycat
04-24-2012, 08:13 AM
I hope that Versus doesn't end up like duke nukem forever:
15 years late
within six months of release dropped down to the lowest price of all new PS3 games
most copies returned or put on the shelf of shame
gamestop employees tell me not to buy it and refuse to sell it to me
outdated gameplay and senses of humor

the only good part would be the boobies.
But if I ever see boobies in a FF game, that will probably be the end of my life as a gamer.

Loony BoB
04-24-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm sure it will get released, though I'm seriously beginning to doubt it will live up to the hype its getting. It may end up as a flawed masterpiece like Xenogears or FFXII.
If it's anything like FFXII or (going by what I hear about) Xenogears, I would call that "living up to the hype." I prefer keeping my expectations to nothing but "a Final Fantasy game with magic, swords and chocobos". That way I don't get too hyped up and I don't get too let down. :)

VeloZer0
04-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Time was the title of "Final Fantasy" used to be worth a great deal of hype in and of itself.

Loony BoB
04-24-2012, 04:55 PM
To be fair, I think it still is. The key is not raising your expectations to the hype. Hope should tie in with hype/excitement. Expectations should be kept seperate. I hope a Final Fantasy game will be good, I get excited for the Final Fantasy game for multiple reasons, but the expectations are never raised too high that I can only be either disappointed or satisfied and never delighted.

Del Murder
04-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Semantics. I agree with Velo.

VeloZer0
04-24-2012, 07:55 PM
If you want to argue semantics I hope that a future FF title will be able to delight me by meeting my expectations for the series, as recent entries have not and caused me no be less excited about the brand name. :p

Hype is a product of people who are not me's expectations and thus of little consequence.

Mirage
04-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Stop being silly, Jiro. It doesn't suit you.

DMKA
04-25-2012, 04:38 AM
It will either get released in the twilight days of the PS3 or bankrupt SE before they finish it.

Time was the title of "Final Fantasy" used to be worth a great deal of hype in and of itself.

It still is you silly goose. :love:

VeloZer0
04-25-2012, 06:09 AM
It will either get released in the twilight days of the PS3 or bankrupt SE before they finish it.

Or the semi-finished product will be added as an unlockable min-game in Final Fantasy 17. :lol:

Loony BoB
04-25-2012, 09:04 AM

Or the semi-finished product will be added as an unlockable min-game in Final Fantasy 17. :lol:
Final Fantasy XIII-4*

Freya
04-25-2012, 09:31 AM
I just have no interest in the XIII world so Versus is just kinda a meh to me. Why do they need so many spin offs of this world? Move on already!

Wolf Kanno
04-25-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure how exciting it will be when it comes out, I forsee it running into the issue that Duke Nukem had where the original team tried to come up with some new ideas to make FPS titles interesting and finding out while they were developing it that other companies beat them to it. I see a few things in Xenoblade Chronicles that were suppose to be technical feature for Versus XIII like weather effects and other environmental effects. So I wouldn't be surprised if during its attempts to cram in all these new features that other games don't simply catch up and steal its thunder. I also agree that it will most likely show up at the end of the PS3's life cycle, probably around the same time as the Last Guardian.

The game will do well regardless since the FF brand name alone guarantees at least 500,000 units to be sold for high profile entries in the first week, but I wouldn't be surprised if the game ends up simply being a high mark for a dying system instead of "the game that will put FF back at the forefront of the gaming world" like some fans are hoping it will do. I've honestly finally reached the point where I wish it would get released so Nomura could get back to being productive and make KHIII before it gets bumped into the next console cycle, rather than because I have interest in Versus itself. Squenix has been playing the mystery tease game so long that I think only a handful of fans are still actively monitoring websites for info, and everyone else has moved on and will wait for it to finally get released before bothering to care. I mean we're getting updates about possible future updates and silly tech info about lighting design software instead of stuff people give a damn about like story info, gameplay info, screenshots, maybe a another video demo just to prove its still being worked on and isn't some pet project that Nomura is doing on the side while he's thinking up new spin-off sequels to add to the KH franchise so he can milk the fans for more money.

I appreciate that the game is getting serious development time, especially after the cancerous disaster that was FFXIII, but dear god Squenix, you need to throw us a bone more than every three years. It's not like every reporter who interviews doesn't bring the game up and give you an opportunity to speak out a little and give us some throw away information.

Mirage
04-25-2012, 12:59 PM
I just have no interest in the XIII world so Versus is just kinda a meh to me. Why do they need so many spin offs of this world? Move on already!

Versus 13 isn't in the same world as 13 is, so that won't be a problem. There's unlikely to be any significant similarities between those games.

Depression Moon
04-25-2012, 09:50 PM
I've been waiting for it forever and I'm still too scared to try out XIII in the meantime. From what I hear I hope it doesn't turn out like Forever because like some of you said I heard it didn't turn out so well.

Jiro
04-30-2012, 01:13 AM
Stop being silly, Jiro. It doesn't suit you.

Wat. How do I even come into this? xD