PDA

View Full Version : Zombies Are Attacking Your Home Town

Pike
04-25-2012, 05:46 AM
How screwed are you?

Map of the Dead - Zombie Survival Map (http://www.mapofthedead.com/)

I'd head north from where I am, hit up all those hardware stores and Costco and then run out into the wilds. Pretty great being in the middle of nowhere.

Freya
04-25-2012, 06:01 AM
I'm ALRIGHT where I am but there are a lot of zones near me that are screwed so I best head up north to you Pike.

Raistlin
04-25-2012, 06:21 AM
I live on the east coast.

Yeah, I'm fucked.

Hollycat
04-25-2012, 06:44 AM
I live in hick country, I am as safe as possible, there is hardly 5 houses without a shotgun, besides, I have a large collection of blades, just sever the head and you win. Light on fire for bonus points.

Bunny
04-25-2012, 07:14 AM
I'd head north from where I am, hit up all those hardware stores and Costco and then run out into the wilds. Pretty great being in the middle of nowhere.

Only if you know how to survive in the middle of nowhere.

I live in a relatively large city with a decent population. It'd probably be rough for awhile.

Madonna
04-25-2012, 08:54 AM
Living on an island prevents one from worrying about migratory zombies; I only need to deal with a cool million. I can live with that.

Loony BoB
04-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Are we talking fast zombies or slow zombies?

Sephex
04-25-2012, 10:52 AM
It would be tough for me since I am surrounded by danger, apparently. I would try my best to wait out most of the chaos if I had enough supplies and weapons. After things settled a bit, that's when I would start moving somewhere.

Jiro
04-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Here in Laramie it's not too bad. Apparently a National Guard station in town, so I could head there for some weapons. Plenty of food, transport. Cheyenne has all the goods, but also has the highest population of zombies in the state. I'd probably be best heading somewhere like Bill where there is fuck all and just hanging out. I could try and head north to meet up with Pike but that's a long way.

Back home I would have nothing to worry about for a damn while. There's a large farm nearby that will undoubtedly have guns. I already have plans with a mate to head into town and gather supplies from Mitre 10 and the supermarket while he goes to his cousin's place and gets some guns and a jeep. Then we head for the mountains out near my place and wait it out. Hell the aforementioned farm recently got subletted so there's a giant fucking house on a hill in the middle of nowhere that we could live in.

Rantz
04-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Danger levels are pretty low where I live and where I work, but so are the supply opportunities. At least where I live. Where I work, the situation is somewhat better, but it's also right next to a university that'd be teeming with young, hungry, athletic zombos.

Looks like my best bet would be to steal a truck, stock up on this and that, and head for the underpopulated island where my parents' farm is before they blow up the bridge. And blow up the bridge as soon as I'm over. >.> Hopefully this would be during low season since the population on the island manifolds during high season. My parents farm is in a very low-danger zone, can be self-sufficient if pressed, and is right next to a lake with a few small islands that might serve as a decent last resort if the shit hits the fan.

Slothy
04-25-2012, 12:57 PM

Come to Canada. Seriously. Second largest country in the world. Population? Under 35 million. Avoid the major cities (not hard, and preferable even when there isn't a zombie outbreak) and you'd be fine.

As far as how screwed I would be; I live in a city with about 50,000 people, but most live fairly spread out in the suburbs and outskirts of the city and surrounding areas. There's an airport, but not a big one. It's still a risk since it means infected could fly here then turn, but it's about 15 minutes outside of the city so there's at least that buffer there. I also live on the outer edges of the city, so escape into the wilderness is fairly easy. If I happened to be downtown when a major outbreak happened, the river is a few hundred feet away. Dive in, float downriver a bit then come back to shore at a safer spot away from the hot zone and take one of the lesser used bridges across if possible. Preferably the walking bridge. It's lower over the water and safer to dive from if you need to get off fast.

If you can make it to winter then all of the zombies will freeze in -30 weather, giving you more freedom to raid what's left in the cities.

Jinx
04-25-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm in a fairly concentrated danger zone...they're wrong though, cos I can name two more pharmacies right where I live. Heck, I live across the street from one, and they don't have it!

Jessweeee♪
04-25-2012, 02:30 PM
My friends and I have thought about this, and it was decided that my house would be our safe zone. For being in a populated area I'm pretty well off. I'm surrounded by water on two sides, I have hurricane shutters, the climate here is pretty bad for preserving decomposing bodies, and there are lots of military posts in walking distance so if they're helping locals I've got military help up to my armpits. Apart from the zombies originating from my own neighborhood, they'd all have to come in on a bridge, so they'd be pretty easy to snipe. There's also a health clinic and two major grocery store chains, but those could potentially be bad things too.

Quindiana Jones
04-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Come to Canada. Seriously. Second largest country in the world. Population? Under 35 million. Avoid the major cities (not hard, and preferable even when there isn't a zombie outbreak) and you'd be fine.

If I was in the area, I'd head straight for Saskatchewan. You could see any zombies coming days in advance. :D

Anyway, I live in bloody Manchester, so I'm reasonably screwed. I'm fortunately surrounded by an assortment of pharmacies and supermarkets. As I'm asthmatic, I'd head to the pharmacies first and collect all the medicine I could. Then I'd go shopping for tins of lentils and peaches. I'd load everything into my panniers and cycle up into the Pennines, then I'd just wait it out. I know the area, so presuming I could get up there with sufficient medicine, I could wait it out for a good while.

Old Manus
04-25-2012, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't be too scared of any zombies around here as they all have bad backs and are on disability allowance

sharkythesharkdogg
04-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Why in the hell does it have a little indicator for dentist offices?

Rantz
04-25-2012, 03:03 PM
In case you got turned and bit down on someone really thick-headed.

(there's a legend down below that explains it when you hover over the icons)

Araciel
04-25-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm in a non-danger zone.. My little Canadian city has about 130,000 people. I would try to find a nice treehouse somewhere and shack up after winterizing it. It'd have to be near a city though. Wilderness survival only works if you have enough time/energy to forage and trap game - depending on the type of zombies, there may be little to no game available.

CimminyCricket
04-25-2012, 03:37 PM
As far as danger zones go I am screwed, but there are a ton of reserve stations and an armory not far from where I am and there's also a ton of hospitals near me (not that it would make much difference for me since my GF is always sick and we have a fully stocked pharmacy in my bathroom). I just have to sit it out on the 32nd floor of my apartment building until it looks like I can find a safe place to go and food won't be a problem because I have a sexual fetish for canned foods. My building is connected to a few others by a skyline, so even if I can't get out from my building I can most likely get out from another.

Is it sad that I'm always fantasizing about stuff like this? I would slay my first born for a chance at a zombie apocalypse.

Jinx
04-25-2012, 03:48 PM
I once read this books called Life As We Knew It. Basically, the moon gets knocked out of orbit, and nature gets smurfed up.

From that I learned:
You can never have too much bottled water, but don't waste it during the winter when you have snow or rain.
Progresso soup--it doesn't require water to cook.
Canned veggies
Don't waste time on perishables
Buy as many blankets as possible. You're probably going to lose electricity, so be prepared for some cold days and nights come winter.
BATTERIES
Matches and lighters are like, super important
And don't ever let anyone know you're still alive

Agent Proto
04-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Considering where I live, I'd say I'm pretty screwed. It's not too densely populated, but it's very sizable. I could try hide in the woods, but they've been shrinking in size over the years. Sooo... I'm screwed if zombies started to attack.

NorthernChaosGod
04-25-2012, 04:44 PM
I live in a city with a population of 1301617 as of the 2010 census, so I'd probably be pretty fucked unless I could make my way to the naval base quickly. The alternative is to just destroy or block the staircase and try to live on the top floor.

Freya
04-25-2012, 06:45 PM
I once read this books called Life As We Knew It. Basically, the moon gets knocked out of orbit, and nature gets smurfed up.

I have that book! I have yet to read it yet though....

Really Dak and pike would be well off because those states are "the great plains" and they could see zombies form far distances fairly easily. SO if they can just keep it from getting there, they'll be able ot pick them off well. I just need to get back up there first >:(

Jiro
04-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Really Dak and pike would be well off because those states are "the great plains" and they could see zombies form far distances fairly easily. SO if they can just keep it from getting there, they'll be able ot pick them off well. I just need to get back up there first >:(

That's a good point. We can just camp on a small hill and shoot at them. Strangely, there are apparently no gun stores in Laramie but I'd figure it out.

Anyway, I live in bloody Manchester, so I'm reasonably screwed.

Burn it to the fucking ground.

Peegee
04-25-2012, 07:32 PM
I actually think the lot of you are going to die, the way you stated your plans.

do not:

- go to the cops
- the army base
- populated areas
- supermarkets
- gun stores
- drive a car or motorcycle
- drive farm equipment

I live in a heavily populated suburban area. what would I do? break down the banisters in my stairway and break the stairs. Use a rope ladder to get up.

I would have to take all of the backyard furniture to block up the sliding doors, and I would probably hide out in the house for a few months until the zombies moved away. Then I can work on biking north toward parry sound or moose factory. Problem solved at that rate.

Psychotic
04-25-2012, 07:43 PM
you people are so boring and unambitious

i would become a zombie

and infect every last motherfucker i could find, if not devouring them completely

zombies own :zombie:

Peegee
04-25-2012, 08:01 PM

i would become a zombie

and infect every last mothersmurfer i could find, if not devouring them completely

>wants to be a zombie
>thwarted by a [anything]

Laddy
04-25-2012, 11:22 PM
I have assembled a 4-person team consisting of myself, my best friend, a guy I acted with, and my teacher Mrs. Williams. We'd go to the historic downtown and hold a fortress on the roof.

escobert
04-25-2012, 11:29 PM
I already own my guns, and usually try to keep around 1000 rounds for each one.
My big concern would be food, water and warmth during the winter months.
I would probably build some sort of tree house to use at my main base. would also need/want to acquire solar power for radios and such. My friends and I have this pretty well planned out :D

NorthernChaosGod
04-26-2012, 01:44 AM

i would become a zombie

and infect every last motherfucker i could find, if not devouring them completely

I should have expected as much from you. :colbert:

fire_of_avalon
04-27-2012, 10:09 PM
The community I live in is 12 miles distant from the nearest two towns in opposite directions. My hometown has an average population of under 2,000 people. The other town has an average population of, I think, double that.

My actual community is very rural. I live in a very narrow valley with very steep ridges on either side. By steep I mean some parts of the mountain side are difficult for sure footed persons to navigate. Shambling zombies are basically going to trip and roll a few hundred to a thousand feet to the bottom. One ridge is relatively clear pasture land. The other ridge, my side, is heavily wooded. The game population here is enormous. I see deer, rabbit, turkey, squirrel, grouse and other non-traditional game (like opossums) every single day. The only natural predator in this area are people and some wild dogs and coyotes.

About two thirds of the twenty or so families in this community have experience in hunting and farming. My family owns small arms like pistols, shotguns, and rifles. I grew up using these. We have plenty of ammunition - but that would be reserved for hunting in all likelihood. We also have two composite bows. While we are lacking in arrows at this point in time, I'm dead certain one of my neighbors can probably make them.

Furthermore my dad is a mechanic and a carpenter. He can fix most things and build many, many things. We already use wood heat most of the time in the winter, that's covered. Most of the families here have that capability as well. We have access to a wood cookstove. I know how to can and preserve vegetables, fruits and meats. We would unfortunately be lacking in fruits - the only things we have access to at this time are apples, muscadines, peaches, blackberries and wild strawberries depending on the season. We can probably grow watermelons.

We have neighbors with livestock, mostly cows but also pigs, goats and chickens. And horses.

There are dozens - if not a hundred - natural springs in the area. There's also a sizable creek which is actually runoff from the town reservoir, which is about four miles up our dead-end road.

I am really gonna miss toilet paper.

Madonna
04-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Good idea. Why hole up and survive? The task will be difficult, but I pledge to go out into the big big world and purge it of every decrepit rothead with a colorful array of weaponry. A million only means I start small before entering the world arena. The trail I blaze will be from here to Psychotic's heart. Wait for me, darling.

Roto13
04-28-2012, 08:30 PM
I'd be surrounded by gay zombies.

I might not notice.

Del Murder
04-28-2012, 09:57 PM
I wouldn't move at all. I would attempt to gather the zombies and use them as my own personal undead army, and die trying.

Depression Moon
04-28-2012, 11:30 PM
I'd probably be screwed out where I live in random city America. My best bet making it is heading to the beach and taking a ship to a small island.