PDA

View Full Version : Name of a Child or Parent of a FF7 Hero/ine

Shinwa Tsuki
04-26-2012, 06:14 AM
I'm fond of creating names for others or myself, mostly the names are for characters (given name, surname, nickname, or alias) - but they can also be for items, locations, abilities, or creatures. Lately I've been wondering about the names that the children or parents of our heroes or heroines - even the 'major minor' characters (those that are important to the story, but are likely to be pushed to the side).

These children can be created in a laboratory using the DNA of Aerith and Cloud, or they can be naturally born children of Vincent and Yuffie. The names can be for an only child, siblings which includes twins, triplets, quartets, and more. The names can be of any origin, they should be pronounceable at the very least - if you have knowledge or an understanding of the Japanese script, then the name can fit the Japanese scripture as well as allowing for those who speak the English language to say that name.

Physical descriptions, type of weapon, and other things are not necessary, but they are nice additions.

I'll give mine.

I have a daughter of Aerith and Cloud, she is alive thanks to the planet Gaia having a part (not too sure how to explain, only that she wasn't born in a laboratory, nor was she ever an infant). She has black hair and vivid blue eyes, her name is Lofra Strife. Lofra is an anagram of Flora, even in the Japanese language - Lofra would be written as ロフラ Rofura and Flora can be written as フロラ furora. She does have a two known Limit Breaks and a weapon, but I'm not telling. Ever since her 'birth' she is at the age of five years old, in all manners of age (unlike Vincent whose chronological ages doesn't match his age of 27 years old).

I also have a daughter and a son for Vincent and Yuffie, I'm not sure if they was 'born' in a laboratory or if Gaia had a part in the birth of the two siblings - but they, like Lofra, didn't have an infancy state - he is older then his sister by two (weeks, months, years - I don't know yet). She has the given name Lilac, I'm not sure if she takes the surname of her father or of her mother, she has light brown hair and bright brown eyes. Her brother has the name Rick which is more temporary then anything. Lilac is written as ライラック Rairakku in Japanese, so she could easily get the nickname Laye (English version) or ライちゃん Rai-chan (Japanese version), Rick is written as リック Rikku.

It is my personal opinion that Yuffie's mother was an 'Eastern' born civilian - considering that I've read Yuffie's Japanese name is still written with the same Latin letters as us Americans' (to quote "[the] official Establishment file shows Yuffie and not Yufi" [source: [REL] Final Fantasy VII - Retranslation Project With Documentation (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11867.0) - use Ctrl+F: Yuffie] - so I would assume that her name could be Ury Kisaragi (married name) which would be written as ユーリー Yūrī in Japanese. An interesting thing is that, without realizing it, I chose a name that is a pun on ユリ yuri which means lily in Japanese (the kanji for yuri can be 百合 and means lily).

I've given the name Clover Strife to Cloud's mother, and the name Clint Strife to Cloud's father. Clint is written as クリント Kurinto while Clover is written as クローバー Kurōbā, and both of them and Cloud (whose name is written as クラウド Kuraudo) have the same first katakana character - and their English name has the first two letters in common, while both mother and son have the first three letters in common.

For some reason I've always thought that Tifa's father was named Tiso Lockhart and her mother was Domi Lockhart. I guess because of the of the fact that Tifa's name is both short for Tifanie and contains the muscial notes ti and fa. The given name of Tifa herself is written as ティファ Tifa, Domi is written as ドミ Domi, and Tiso is written as ティソ Tiso. Tifa is short for Tiffany (or Tifanie) which is written as ティファニー Tifanī, Domi could be short for Domitilla (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domitilla_the_Younger) which is written as ドミティラ Domitira or Domi could be short for Domitia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domitia_Longina) which is written as ドミティア Domitia.

I'll give you want the musical notes and how the Japanese write those notes:
ド・レ・ミ・ファ・ソ・ラ・シ/ティ
Do-Re-Mi-Fa-So-La-Ti

It must be noted that the ti note can be spelt as either ティ ti or シ shi. There is more to this, but that's all I'll give right now.

That's all of mine for now. I want to see names you come up with. Here are questions to get this started....

What do you think would be the name of a child that Tifa has?
What about a child of Rufus Shinra?
What do you think is the name of Rufus' father - the late President Shinra? (That means that Shinra is the family name.)
What would the (maiden) surname of Ifalna be?
Do you think Hojo is a give name or a surname?
Would Sephiroth have Hojo's surname or Lucrecia's Surname?