PDA

View Full Version : Motivation!

Pike
04-30-2012, 06:14 AM
How do you motivate yourself to do things that you'd rather not do, but have to? I try to reward myself with turns of a turn-based game, like Civ. Sometimes music gets me in the mood, as well.

Freya
04-30-2012, 06:36 AM
Music gets me in the mood to do anything creative. Also deadlines. I procrastinate like no other but if i have a few hours to finish something and a jamming playlist, I can finish it in no time. I never really reward myself with anything though....

Chris
04-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Music is a great source of motivation. It gets me going and it keeps me in a good mood. I think I wouldn't be able to do anything without music.

Shiny
04-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Time and deadlines usually factor in to motivating me, but also sometimes when I start things early I'll know I'm starting it early so that I can sleep more or something. I figure the earlier I start something the more sleep I can have. That's only recently since I haven't been having alot of sleep as of late as I'm trying to finish up my last year of college. But yeah, the closer I am to the actual deadline the more motivated I'll be to complete it.

Loony BoB
04-30-2012, 01:02 PM
If I have to do it, I have to do it, and I don't need to have motivation. It's a neccessity and therefore there is no choice. Whatever makes it neccessary is probably the "motivation" I need, and I just get on with it. I suppose you might need motivation in order to be happier when doing it, but for me I just go into "work mode" and do it as fast as possible with the motivation of being able to move on to things I actually want to do. :p

If I don't have to do it, that's when I need motivation.

I'd be more specific but it was a very open question!

Jinx
04-30-2012, 02:31 PM
What that word mean, Pike?

But really, when I'm trying to motivate myself, I say, "I have to start doing it at this hour." When that comes around, I start doing whatever it its. I say, "You can do it for an hour, then have a 30 minute break." It usually gets it done. And a lot of times if I'm in the zone, I'll just work straight through. I guess I feel if I don't have to break my back doing something, it's not a stressful.

Peegee
04-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Ugh so lazy. Let's just play vidya 24 7

krissy
04-30-2012, 04:22 PM
eye of the tiger

Sephex
04-30-2012, 05:58 PM
I hire an assassin to stalk me. If I don't do what I am supposed to be doing he/she slaps my ass.

sharkythesharkdogg
04-30-2012, 07:56 PM
I usually just get the job done. I'm also the dick that nags other people into getting their stuff done. :|

I will procrastinate on house cleaning sometimes, and this is sometimes me doing paperwork. (http://poorlydrawnlines.com/comic/the-four-stages-of-procrastination/)

Jiro
04-30-2012, 08:11 PM
I just do it, generally.

escobert
04-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Not having to listen to my mom and or girlfriend nag me about it motivates me.

Bubba
05-01-2012, 01:56 AM
If it isn't a necessity... it doesn't get done.

Araciel
05-01-2012, 05:41 AM
I think of the queen.

CelShadedDreams
05-01-2012, 07:44 PM
If I think about all the things I have to do I get overwhelmed and don't do any of it, so I've started telling myself that I have to do just one thing a day. For example, if I tell myself I need to clean the flat at the weekend I won't do all of it so I'll tell myself that I'll hoover on Tuesday and clean the bathroom on Wednesday.

Breaking it down really helps because I know I've got loads of free time on an evening after I've done that thing instead of dreading the one evening that's completely ruined because I have to do everything.

Laddy
05-02-2012, 03:41 AM
I'm writing a novel. By writing, I mean trying to start.

starlet
05-05-2012, 04:11 AM
I just do it, generally.
'sup Nike.

I'm not a very motivated person in general. The Only time I worry about housework these days is when I know someone's coming over and I don't want them to report me to hoarders on tlc. I do manage to get up at 5 am 3 days a week though for bootcamp by choice somehow. I don't know where that came from...

Jinx
06-22-2012, 01:01 AM
Someone motivate me to go running.

Sephex
06-22-2012, 01:16 AM

Go running.

Raistlin
06-22-2012, 01:19 AM

Iceglow is on his way to your house right now.

He looks... eager.

Carl the Llama
06-22-2012, 02:22 AM
When it comes to motivation I generally do things right away, after all I will do it at some point, best to do it straight away and get it over with... makes life a lot easier at the end of the day.

Jinx
06-22-2012, 02:41 AM
I just ran half a mile yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah!