PDA

View Full Version : Tales Of Series

Marky Tee
05-03-2012, 12:14 PM
I was thinking about getting into these games (eventually) and was wondering what you guys think about them and which ones you recommend and why? and also which ones to avoid like chlamydia?

Roto13
05-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Play Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia. Burn Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, Legendia, and the GBA port of Phantasia.

I dunno about the rest of them. It's tough to be a Tales fan in North America because the majority of them only come out in Japan.

edczxcvbnm
05-03-2012, 04:57 PM
I have played Symphonia, Vespiria and Tales of Eternia(Tales of Destiny 2 in the states). I really like Symphonia and Vespiria, Eternia was okay for the time but I think the design shows its age.

What I like about Symphonia and Vespiria is that despite a how serious things get, they manage to maintain an air of breezy fun. Things interaction between the party members is always some good fun and they add all of these extra scenes that you trigger all over the game.

I also really like a lot of the simplicity such as victory cheers changing as you progress through the game. It is just one of those things that show that the characters grow outside of the story. It might not seem like a lot but I think it adds that extra something that many games lack.

The battle system is largely the same throughout all of the games and I think it has good pacing so that things can remain challenging and fresh as the game progresses. I never feel like I have learned everything by the end and the abilities add more to the gameplay than most games.

I want to pick up Tales of Graces f on the PS3 which just came out.

Roogle
05-03-2012, 10:09 PM
I have played Tales of Graces f and I recommend it to any fan of Japanese role-playing games.

I would avoid Tales of Legendia. The only thing that I liked about it was the soundtrack.

I think that the most important thing to consider when you play these games is that they were made solely with a Japanese audience in mind; therefore, some of the story concepts like friendship and bonds can seem corny when presented to English audiences.

Laddy
05-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Graces is great. Vesperia, the Abyss, and Symphonia are Top 20 greatest games ever for me. The battle system is excellent, the characters are rich, the world is immersive, and the plot turns tropes on their head. Get them and enjoy.

ljkkjlcm9
05-05-2012, 12:29 AM
While the Tales of games typically have mostly generic and/or predictable story lines, the characters are usually good and the gameplay is fantastic. They are also one of the few RPG's that consistently has a New Game + that makes it fun and worthwhile to replay. I recommend them to anyone wanting a good JRPG. Definitely some of the best out there. I've put a good 70 hours in my first play through of Graces.

THE JACKEL

Agent Proto
05-05-2012, 01:18 AM
Everyone pretty much said what I wanted to say, so I don't really have much to add to what had been said. I'll just say that I recommend getting any of the Tales of games that is available! But start with Tales of Symphonia before going into it's sequel for the Wii since a lot of what happened in ToS was the focus of Dawn of a New World.

Marky Tee
05-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Thanks guys
I also noticed that quite a few of them have been released and re released on several platforms( symphonie, eternity, rebirth, legendia off the top of my head) so which edition is the best in each case? Special thanks to anyone who can be bothered going through them all lol

Roto13
05-18-2012, 02:48 PM
The only version of Symphonia that's in English is the GameCube version. The PS2 version has some extras, but it's in Japanese.

The best version of Legendia is the version you don't play.

Roogle
05-18-2012, 09:30 PM
Tales of the Abyss was released recently as an enhanced port on the Nintendo 3DS.

Roto13
05-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Not that enhanced, though. It's basically just the PS2 game with 3D. Perfectly competent, but not necessarily worth picking up if you'd rather play the PS2 version on your TV.

You can't really go wrong with either version. It's a good game. Like basically every Tales game it doesn't know when to end, but it's enjoyable.