PDA

View Full Version : Are You a Good Tourist?

Chris
05-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Well, are you? Are you able to behave yourself when you're visiting a country that has a completely different culture than your own? Generally speaking, are you capable of visiting another country without disgracing your people by acting like... yourself?

Are you a good tourist?

Parker
05-03-2012, 10:29 PM
I hate photo opportunities. I will never be one of those ***holes who try to look like they're pushing over/propping up the leaning tower of pisa

I have such a complex about looking like a dork at a landmark that I avoid photographs or even landmarks all together. But at least that's probably the best way to enjoy a new culture anyway

Pike
05-03-2012, 10:35 PM
No idea, I've never been out of the country :(

Laddy
05-03-2012, 10:41 PM
I've been called a polite and friendly tourist. Works for me!

fire_of_avalon
05-03-2012, 11:16 PM
I've never been out of the country ever, but when I'm a tourist in other places I think I'm pretty good. I don't carry around a bunch of extraneous crap, I don't get really drunk all over the place and I don't get lost or drive like a douchebag.

Sephex
05-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Never been out of the country, but I do a good job behaving myself in public where I live, so I imagine I would be a good tourist.

Just keep me away from the booze! Nah, even then, I am usually fine...

sharkythesharkdogg
05-03-2012, 11:54 PM
I think I'm a pretty good tourist. I must not stick out too much, because everywhere I've been there's always a few people who begin speaking to me in the native tongue.

Then I get embarrassed, then they get embarrassed, and then they learn I'm a damn American.

In Ireland I spent the whole trip tipping 20% at restaurants because I was not aware there was already a 12-13% service charge included in the bill most of the time. Plus apparently tipping isn't as expected over there. It made dining out a little expensive, but at least I didn't rip anyone off. :|

Abrahamli
05-04-2012, 03:23 AM
I also do not go other countries, but I often travel inner, I like taking photos.

NorthernChaosGod
05-04-2012, 03:55 AM
The only other country I've been to is Mexico. I'm not a tourist in Mexico. :|

Jinx
05-04-2012, 04:01 AM
^lolhispanic

I've only barely been over the border to Canada. It was more just to say I did it, but I don't really count it.

I dunno, ask me again in January after I get back from Sweden.

Hollycat
05-04-2012, 04:15 AM
I am a good tourist, I calmly look around, a lot of people think I'm a native to wherever it is until they see my family. I have THAT family. You know, the one with the noisy father who laughs and points at EVERYTHING, and the mother who is constantly reading pamplets and taking picture after picture and loudly explaining everything (incorrectly) and shushing everyone else. Then theres the sister who giggles at everything, asks WAY more questions than necessary, and says really retarded things like she knows what shes talking about.

So most recently, I told my parents to go do what they want while I browsed a museum.

Pheesh
05-04-2012, 08:36 AM
I'll find out in October. But I predict I'll be throwing up alcohol and greasy american food ALL OVER your country!!

Jinx
05-04-2012, 02:27 PM
I'll find out in October. But I predict I'll be throwing up alcohol and greasy american food ALL OVER your country!!

You'll be fitting right into our country. Welcome!

NorthernChaosGod
05-04-2012, 04:20 PM

At least you won't get fat by being here. :monster:

Peegee
05-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Um yeah I'm a good tourist. I don't look at touristy garbage. I spend time with locals. I buy their food for the duration of my stay, and I take them out with me.

I did however look at most of the touristy crap in Washington DC because really - I had to.

But I didn't see crap when I visited Ohio (lol) or Tennessee (lmao) - that's how I like it.

Crop
05-04-2012, 07:16 PM
When I was in the US I
Complained about how awful the tea was
Aggressively corrected anyone who pronounced words like 'aluminium' wrong
Refused to tip for even great service
Was verbally outraged about the lack of a full English Breakfast on the menus
Insisted on driving on the left side of the road
Put hand to Heart and shouted "God Save The Queen!" everytime I saw something British.
Referred to the East (where I was) as "The Colonies" when talking about where I was. i.e - "It's grand to be over here in The Colonies old boy!" Or "Out of my way Johnny Foreigner, I'm from the motherland you know! Bloody Colonies"

So yes, I represented my country perfectly. Can't wait to go back in June!

Hollycat
05-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Did you get offended at the use of the word napkin (teehee) and the correct pronunciation of Vitamin?

Peegee
05-04-2012, 07:53 PM
I actually have a speech or some such (it's more like a recitation of a list) - 10 things you can't say in Canada.

I say it in USA every time I visit.

Shiny
05-05-2012, 04:31 AM
The only place I'd probably be pretty touristy in is Italy because I'd want to take pictures of everything and then have them framed on my wall.

Shlup
05-06-2012, 10:43 PM
I think I'm a good tourist. Before I went to Japan I studied the language every day for three solid months so that I could communicate better. That's good, right? My friend kept telling me not to stand there looking at a map like some tourist, but, as a blue-eyed blond, I don't think anyone was about to confuse me for a local anyway.

Peegee
05-08-2012, 05:26 PM
I think I'm a good tourist. Before I went to Japan I studied the language every day for three solid months so that I could communicate better. That's good, right? My friend kept telling me not to stand there looking at a map like some tourist, but, as a blue-eyed blond, I don't think anyone was about to confuse me for a local anyway.

your blag was so informative I gave it to my brother. Now if he could get off his tuckus to actually GO to that country he could put it to use.