PDA

View Full Version : A man's gotta have a code

Raistlin
05-08-2012, 06:03 AM
So I've been rewatching The Wire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wire), and marveling anew at how amazing this show is. It is one of the best shows ever made. Anyone who has not seen it must immediately go watch it. Now. Do it. I'll wait. (not really)

It's a crime show set in Baltimore, Maryland, but it's not a typical cop show. Instead, it's a gritty, realistic look at a city's underbelly and how royally smurfed up everything is. I briefly considered posting this thread in EoEO, as The Wire's blistering social and political commentary are second-to-none. It is an unapologetic attack on, among other things, the drug war, police department administration, and local politics.

It's not just social commentary, either. The writing is top-notch, on par with such great shows as The Sopranos, with complex plots weaved together over an entire series. And always real -- there are no happy endings, just some good things and some bad things, while generally shit stays the same (which is really the ultimate message of the show).

I stumbled across this article (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/5095500/The-Wire-arguably-the-greatest-television-programme-ever-made.html), where a UK news agency claims The Wire is the best show ever made. I can't disagree.

I mean, what other show has a gay, mass-murdering thief who only kills and steals from drug dealers?

So for those who haven't seen The Wire, go watch it. For those who have, discuss The Wire. Who's your second favorite character? I ask for seconds, because Omar is obviously everyone's favorite (even Obama's!). Favorite scene? I was always particularly fond of Omar testifying in court, but my Criminal Procedure professor showed us this hilarious scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSWuuI5_gwk) in class (the funniest part starts at about 1:50).

Bunny
05-08-2012, 07:29 AM
SPOILERS, obviously.

Omar is the best character on The Wire and I felt his death was one of the greatest injustices in television but also the best possible death for a character as great as Omar was. It was actually shockingly disappointing but made so much sense that I couldn't even be mad at the choice to kill him off. I would say that my second favorite character is Marlo Stanfield, with my favorite scene of his possibly being this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCaBYEEFTKE). The dynamic of the character is just so incredible that it is hard to believe that it's just a character on a television show. After that, I would say that Stringer Bell was my third favorite, but that's mainly because I have a hardon for Idris Elba and his acting ability (Luther is a perfect example of how good he is, aside from The Wire).

Man, I need to go back and rewatch it again.

The Captain
05-08-2012, 05:06 PM
I always enjoyed Bunk Moreland as well. His scenes with Omar and McNulty had the cynical, hilarious world-weariness that made The Wire the pleasure it was.

Here's the interesting question: Which season was the best? I may go with Season 3 (Just for the end) or Season 4.

Take care all.

Raistlin
05-08-2012, 09:49 PM
I don't know if I can pick a favorite season. I love season 3 because of Bunny Colvin and Hamsterdam and all the drug war commentary. Season 1 is also great because there's a lot of focus on Avon and Stringer. Season 4 may have the best overall story with the introduction of the kids. I think everyone agrees that season 5 was the weakest; while not actually bad, it went a little weird to try to finish everything off.

As for my second favorite character... hell, I might have to pick half the cast. Stringer, of course, is amazing. McNulty and his "what the fuck did I do?" catchphrase are hilarious. And I love basically every scene with the Bunk (burning his clothes to eliminate all trace evidence of his affair? Brilliant!).

Interesting bit of trivia: the old Deacon from season 3 onward was actually a major drug lord many decades ago in Baltimore, and was one of the inspirations for Avon Barksdale.

The Captain
05-09-2012, 05:09 AM
The other thing that show changed forever:

"The Farmer In The Dell". Try listening to THAT ever again as a children's song.

I'd also say that Season 2 wasn't my favorite, or at least the first half, since it decided to do such a radical shift in tone and location. I understand why it went there but I was so much more interested in the street.

Take care all.

Raistlin
05-09-2012, 04:47 PM
I prefer thinking of it as the "A-Hunting We Will Go" version, as when Omar whistles it, he is out hunting.

iMm1Wih0kug

Season 2 gets a bad rap because of its change in setting, but involved a very good story with good development of plenty of characters outside of the docks. Probably not my favorite, but not as weak as season 5.

Shattered Dreamer
05-09-2012, 08:39 PM
The Wire is so unbelievably awesome! I am all the worst parts of Jimmy McNulty :lol:

Raistlin
05-15-2012, 10:37 PM
This is all this thread gets? Three other fans? You disgust me, EoFF.

I just finished season 3, and what an amazing season it is. I will now say that it is definitely my favorite. What scathing and well-developed criticism of the drug war and business as usual. Such political commentary is brilliantly developed throughout the entire season, but highlighted in a couple of mini-speeches by Major Colvin. This is the best.

BA5za4VsskM

Cause this drug thing, this ain’t police work. Naw, it ain’t. I mean, I can send any fool with a badge and a gun up on them corners and jack a crew and grab vials. But policing—I mean you call something a war and pretty soon, everybody gonna be running around acting like warriors. They gonna be running around on a damn crusade, storming corners, slapping on cuffs, racking up body counts. And when you at war, you need a smurfing enemy. And pretty soon, damn near everyone on every corner is your smurfing enemy. And soon the neighborhood that you supposed to be policing, that’s just occupied territory.

[…]

Look here, the point I’m making, Carver, is this: soldiering and policing, they ain’t the same thing. And before we went and took the wrong turn and start up with these war games, the cop walked a beat. And he learned that post. And if there were things that happened up on that post, whether they be a rape or robbery or shooting, he had people out there helping him, feeding him information. But every time I come to you, my DEU Sergeant, for information, to find out what’s going on out there on them streets, all that came back was some bulltit. You had your stats, you had your arrests, you had your seizures. But don’t none of that amount to tit when you talking about protecting a neighborhood, now, do it?

You know, the worst thing about this so-called drug war, to my mind--it just, it ruined this job.

Of course, that was only part of the season. There was also amazing scenes with Stringer and Avon, the introduction of political figures, and Stringer Bell's shocking death.

fire_of_avalon
05-16-2012, 12:20 AM
This seems relevant to my interests. Perhaps if I ever finish Breaking Bad I will watch this.

The Man
05-16-2012, 01:31 AM
I need to set up my HBO Go account so I can start watching this.

Peegee
05-17-2012, 06:18 PM
I have the series but I should really get my schooling done before I goof off again. But I have it! That's a start!

sharkythesharkdogg
05-17-2012, 06:22 PM
I wish I had a man code for extra lives, because this bottle of peroxide looks delicious.

:x_x:

Raistlin
06-12-2012, 03:35 AM
So I finished watching the rest of the episodes a little while ago, but reading the "best TV show ever!" thread made me think of this, because The Wire really is the best TV show ever made.

Season 4 is really engaging. Bunny Colvin is great as usual, but in a new area. Most of the kids have very tragic stories, especially Randy. Marlo is his usual badass self.

Season 5, as I said earlier, is a bit weird. It's not bad by any means, and adds the interesting perspective of the media. But the overplot is a bit out there. It's probably not much more weird than Hamsterdam of season 3, but it seems like it. McNulty and Freamon go a little off their rocker, though it was a good way to end things. Some things change, but most shit stays the same. It was both really great and really frustrating to see that self-absorbed snake Carcetti not live up to anything. He's arguably worse than someone like Burrell, because Carcetti knows what's wrong and what's right and consciously chooses wrong where it suits his career (albeit with transparent, self-interested rationalizations like "I'll be able to help more in Annapolis!"), whereas Burrell is just a clueless hack.

The Captain
06-12-2012, 05:08 AM
The Wire made me at once happier and sadder about the state of the USA. Happier because we live in a society that can create such art openly. Sadder because the rot of our politics and government is exactly what inspires such art.

Take care all.

Shiny
06-12-2012, 08:09 AM
I found out that Idris Elba is in this so I'm actually going to start watching this again. Started a while ago, but lost track of it. From what I've seen very well-acted. I've also been to Baltimore and can say that it really is that bad. There's so many houses that have graffiti and broken window crack houses. The suicide rate is also really high. It's horrible. But it's great seeing a show focused on black Americans in in urban areas that's real and gritty.

Raistlin
06-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Idris Elba is really good in The Wire; I would argue it's his best performance. His character, Stringer Bell, is among most people's favorites in the show.

Happier because we live in a society that can create such art openly. Sadder because the rot of our politics and government is exactly what inspires such art.

Agreed completely.

Interesting bit of trivia: I recommended to my mom recently that she watch The Wire and gave her a synopsis. She said it reminded her of a 90s TV show that she loved called Homicide. The other day I looked up the show (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106028/), and found out that it was inspired and heavily influenced by a nonfiction Baltimore crime book by David Simon, who later went on to co-create The Wire. I may have to give the show a watch.

The Captain
06-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Homicide was basically a dry run for The Wire in many ways. The gallows humor was much the same, though it was much more squarely focused on the cops. The first few seasons were great.

The Wire actually came out of a mini-series Simon made for HBO called "The Corner" which was about, you guessed it, the drug trade in Baltimore. Also worth checking out.

Take care all.

Raistlin
06-14-2012, 02:05 AM
I watched a little of Homicide last night and today. As Cap'n said, it is focused on the cops. I was mildly disappointed at first and hadn't fully gotten into it, but the last episode I just watched over dinner wowed me with something not even seen on the Wire but is all too real: insane interrogation tactics (besides just beating them). False confessions or other false incriminating statements occurred in about 25% of all DNA exonerations by the Innocence Project (http://www.innocenceproject.org/understand/False-Confessions.php), and these false confessions happen because police will brutally interrogate someone for 8, 12, even 18 hours (http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18559_162-183654.html) at a time. In this Homicide episode, the detectives locked up a poor old man suspected of murdering a child in the interrogation room for 12 consecutive hours of grilling, yelling, threatening, and manipulation. The only reason they would make themselves stop at 12 hours was because they knew the judge would throw out a confession after that point (which may be true for some judges, though it's not constitutionally required). I rarely rooted against the cops so hard even on the Wire (except for Walker on season 4, who Namond accurately described as "evil"). I have never seen such a horrifying yet honest and realistic portrayal of such an interrogation in any other TV show or movie. It was absolutely brilliant.

A Homicide newbie who was involved in the above interrogation also, just a couple of episodes previous, had (justifiably) blasted his more experienced partner for tricking a suspect into not remaining silent and dissuading him from getting a lawyer after the suspect started to ask for one. Which he was 100% right about, but then he later goes on to do worse. It just goes to show that truly good guys generally don't last for long in urban law enforcement.

Regarding the rest of the show, it's not episodic at all, and realistically presents cases. They come and go, with most of them lasting many episodes. You get to see a realistic variety of Homicide detectives, and the story doesn't focus on any one. Of course, it's also not the Wire. At least so far, there's no thorough exploration of Baltimore, from the drug trade to homelessness to politics. It's very cop-centric. And it doesn't have some of the truly great characters like McNulty or the Bunk, but still has some promise. Overall, so far I think it is well worth a recommendation for people who finish the Wire wanting more (which should be everyone).

Also of note, Detective Lewis, one of the main eight detectives, is played by the guy who played Gus, the City Editor in season 5 of the Wire.

McLovin'
06-14-2012, 03:27 AM
When does season 1 get good? On the second episode, but never continued out of boredom.

Raistlin
06-14-2012, 03:43 AM
Season 1 is a great season, but you do have to give it more than one or two episodes for it to fully develop. The plot is deep and complex, and season 1 also sets things in motion for the rest of the series. It starts really paying off midway through the season.

I just glanced at an episodes list, and it looks like the 3rd episode introduces Omar Little, the best character on the show. You at least need to watch that far for him! Additionally, the fourth episode contains a classic scene between McNulty and Bunk showing detective work at its finest.

Raistlin
07-04-2012, 12:44 AM
I have watched more of Homicide: LotS, and it has turned disappointing. The first season was only 10 episodes, and the second was only four due to worries about cancellation. Those seasons were overall very good for a cop show.

The third season came back with over 20 episodes, and I soon realized why: they turned it into a generic, mainstream cop show. Gone was the detailed, multiple-case approach of the first season, and it was replaced with an episodic, one-case-in-one-case-out approach that involves the sort of cases you only find on TV. Serial killer? Check. NSA involvement? Check. Very generic commentary about a particular issue only relevant for one episode? Check. It's probably still better than most cop shows, but at this point it's nothing special. The only reason I'm still watching at all is because I read that David Simon started working on the show full time in later seasons, so I'm hoping it changes.

In other news, I have got my mom obsessed with the Wire. She apparently does nothing after getting home from work except cook/eat dinner and watch the Wire nonstop until she goes to bed. She's early in the fourth season now and will probably finish everything in a week or so. That is what the Wire does to you.