PDA

View Full Version : What Makes You Cry

Laddy
05-10-2012, 04:34 AM
What Makes You Cry?

My friends jokingly call me a bard because I'm artsy and play one in any RPG that allows it. As a result, I cry to movies and music, especially the Jeff Buckley version of Hallelujah.

Also, onions. I wish I could quit you.

leader of mortals
05-10-2012, 04:54 AM
I hate Jeff Buckley's cover of John Cale's cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah.

Really, it's not a bad song, and, if it were a stand-alone song, I'd probably like it okay enough. The problem is, it's a cover, and the original(s) are quite a bit better, in my opinion. I think that the lyrics and the music of the song go much better with the stronger voices of John Cale and Leonard Cohen than with the softer voice of Jeff Buckley.

Anyways, to be on topic: animals dying in movies, my Mom yelling at me, and my own self-hatred, although those last two are fairly related, because when my mom is angry, she becomes an emotional assassin, and makes me hate myself for what I've done, no matter how small.

Laddy
05-10-2012, 05:14 AM
I hate Jeff Buckley's cover of John Cale's cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah.

Really, it's not a bad song, and, if it were a stand-alone song, I'd probably like it okay enough. The problem is, it's a cover, and the original(s) are quite a bit better, in my opinion. I think that the lyrics and the music of the song go much better with the stronger voices of John Cale and Leonard Cohen than with the softer voice of Jeff Buckley.
I respectfully disagree. I am aware it is a cover, but Buckley's voice is positively angelic. His voice, to me, emotionally resonates better and has such a wide array of messages and moods in it. It's mystifying, haunting, and uplifting at the same time without feeling forced. It's more ethereal, more expressive, and creates a feeling not of this world that I feel suits the song perfectly. Yet, despite his high-pitched voice, possesses a keen strength to it. But if I continue, I'd probably kill myself with sadness. At the fact is, his lyrics are a complete reinterpretation that I better identify with that adds a snese of mystery to it.

As for what you said afterwards, I completely understand. Dying animals are </3, but arguments with particularly emotionally difficult people are terrible, yet the inability to mention it without being perceived as defiant makes it 100 time worse.

I'd used my amount of "emotions" today.

Pike
05-10-2012, 05:14 AM
I like that song, Laddy.

Happy/touching movie endings make me cry. I tend to cry tears of happiness/awe more often than tears of sadness, and it usually takes something tangible (i.e., not a movie) to make me cry those tears of sadness.

Also: The ending of Toy Story 3. EVERY. TIME.

fire_of_avalon
05-10-2012, 05:21 AM
When I'm doing long division and I have a remainder.

Bunny
05-10-2012, 05:23 AM
I am a big strong man. Big strong men do not cry.

Except when we stub our toes.

Sephex
05-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Usually when I cut onions. I just feel so bad for them.

Mirage
05-10-2012, 12:59 PM
It doesn't take much to make me all sentimental and tit in movies and games. It just requires a sad/feelgood scene which has a hint of realistic human emotions and my liquids are all over the place

also protip: breathe exclusively through your mouth while cutting onions and you probably won't cry.

Jessweeee♪
05-10-2012, 04:12 PM

Oh god and that one part where they all just hold hands and quietly accept what's happening.

Jinx
05-10-2012, 04:53 PM

Oh god and that one part where they all just hold hands and quietly accept what's happening.

As long as they were together in the end. :(

Bubba
05-10-2012, 05:18 PM

Yep. Both of these parts. I took a girl to watch Toy Story 3. Bad move. It took all the strength I had not to cry at these parts. After the film. I told her I needed a wee then cried like a bitch in one of the toilet cubicles...

I also cry every time ET leaves. The bit where he holds out his finger and says "I'll be riiigghhht heeerreee"

WAAAAAHHH!!!!!!! :cry:

Sephex
05-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I'll also admit that during Toy Story 3 I was tearing up at the parts mentioned already. Great movie.

Peegee
05-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Cry?

Ignoring when I was a child (under 14)?

I've probably cried twice.

And each time I've had a witness.

And the reason will never be revealed.

I will say that I don't know if I'm jealous that you guys can cry more, but I don't really think I could handle more than one reason that causes crying, because when I cry, I'm completely inconsolable and the reason is completely defensible (imo).

Oh I cried a 3rd time. Over a dead kitty :(. I don't mind sharing that.

krissy
05-10-2012, 07:42 PM
i cry every time aeris's hand appears to pull cloud upwards during the bahamut battle in ff7 advent children

Old Manus
05-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Every time I read through /r/unitedkingdom

Shlup
05-10-2012, 10:15 PM
I've grown to be really sensitive to onions. Which sucks because I cook, like, actual food on a regular basis, which often calls for chopping onions. I have to take them outside to cut.

Parker
05-10-2012, 10:25 PM
My grandmother passed away last weekend. I havent cried yet but I'm waiting for it. I can feel it kinda looming and eventually I'll become a quivering blubbering mess while somewhere random like mcDonalds or the supermarket or w/e

G13
05-10-2012, 10:50 PM
When I was younger I used to be really emotional and would cry at the stupidest (in my opinion) things, like endings to movies, or books, or games. I still get emotional at that stuff, but it's more a stirring feeling than it is tears rolling down my face. And then, you know, I used to get really blubbery when crap happened in my life that I had no control over. Now I'm just kind of meh to that junk.

Not to say that I'm too manly to cry, because I find that mentality retarded, I just don't see crying over something to be helpful to the situation.

Peegee
05-10-2012, 10:54 PM
I've read that you can avoid onion induced tears by chopping onions under water.

However I don't know how that affects the efficacy of the knife blades :o

Chris
05-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Supernatural's made me cry more times that I'd care to admit. J&J are just too good not to believe or feel. On a side note, I wish they would feel me, or I them.

blackmage_nuke
05-11-2012, 02:11 AM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muyj_spgCls)

TrollHunter
05-11-2012, 02:23 AM
I'm a crier whenever it comes to me letting myself or someone else down. Keep in mind, I only do that in private, I don't just spill my guts out to everyone, but crying helps clear my head and think rationally about what's going on. Since it helps me a lot, I welcome crying whenever I feel the need.
I don't cry during movies, books, etc. though. I may get an emotional rush, but that's it. I don't think I've ever cried during a movie before...

alexand
05-11-2012, 03:26 AM
:kakapo:I'm a strong man,so never cry

MJN SEIFER
05-11-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm actually somewhat sensetive when it comes to emotional things, so I tend to cry during moments in movies, TV shows, and sometimes even videogames which I find emotional. There are also a few songs that set me off.

I've never been drawn to tears from reading anything until now - I have a read a fanfiction of all things that brought me to tears because of how beautifully written it was. I can't reveal which one it was here, because the show it was based on has it's own thread, so I shouldn't blend in topics. I was suprised how much it affected me though.

leader of mortals
05-11-2012, 04:47 PM
I cried when Dumbledore died in the Half-Blood Prince, and I cried at the end of Crisis Core. I may have cried at Radiata Stories or Infinite Undiscovery, too. Other than that, books and games don't normally make me cry.

starlet
05-12-2012, 08:05 AM
I cry when I check my checking account. GETS ME EVERY TIME.

Jiro
05-13-2012, 09:25 AM
I cry all the time. Always getting stuff stuck up in my eyeball and I can never get it out. Also I'm one of those super weirdos who will cry at the drop of a hat except when it's like serious physical pain in which case I just say "oh bugger" or "bollocks" and tough it out

Freya
05-13-2012, 09:47 AM
I cry really easy. Like Laughing! I'll be laughing and start crying and people are all "are you crying?" "No you're not that funny! It's not that funny! I just cry easily!"

Shiny
05-15-2012, 11:24 AM
The most recent thing I cried about was losing my grandmother and I almost cried again when I found out that the last bit of money she did have (she didn't have much) she allotted to me so I could graduate. I get emotional lump in the throat kind of reaction to many things, but it's rare that I will actually cry. I don't actually know why.

Oh, and in the past if I got really really angry I'd tear. I don't know if that counts as crying, but tears came down. They weren't as salty as sad tears. They actually just tasted like water.