PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer. With Real People.

Pike
05-13-2012, 07:44 AM
Do you often play multiplayer with actual people in your house, as opposed to over the internet?

I've been doing some of this today. Some fighting games, some Earth Defense Force, and then hotseat Civ IV :jess:

Agent Proto
05-13-2012, 08:34 AM
How do you play Hotseat Civ IV?

Also, I do tend to prefer to play multplayer gaming in person than over the Internet. I don't do it very often though because I'm such a loner. :(

Jiro
05-13-2012, 09:01 AM
Hotseat Civ IV is great except for the fact Montezuma is a motherfucker

DK
05-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Few beers + Tiger woods = best in person multiplayer game hands down, it's a hilariously good time.

But yeah I do it fairly often, usually Tiger Woods, FIFA or random fighting games. When I was at Uni and my bro Az still lived down the road from me though especially we used to do it a lot, either just random PS3/360 games or I'd take my laptop down to his house and we'd play C&C red alert, Age of Mythologies or X-Men Legends or something. Actually now that I think about it we did a lot of pass and play on his PC as well, specifically all the Megaman X games and then a couple of random things like The Last Remnant or shit like that. Was good times.

Roto13
05-13-2012, 02:45 PM
I like it but I rarely do it. The only person besides me who is ever in my apartment is my husband, and he doesn't really play games. Just flight simulators and a bit of Wii Sports occasionally. Sometimes I can convince him to play a bit of something casual with me, like Rhythm Heaven Fever, but he has this mental barrier that prevents him from just picking up and playing a game that uses buttons. Except flight simulators, which are complicated, but THOSE he can learn to play right away. >_>

Hollycat
05-13-2012, 03:00 PM
This is the only way I play multiplayer.

Jinx
05-13-2012, 11:51 PM
I tried playing Words with Friends with Pontus, but he was kicking my ass, so I stopped.

krissy
05-14-2012, 12:23 AM
is hotseat civ 4 one of you sitting on the others lap while the other tries to play civ 4

Jinx
05-14-2012, 12:47 AM
is hotseat civ 4 one of you sitting on the others lap while the other tries to play civ 4

No, that's foreplay for Pike.

Peegee
05-14-2012, 01:23 AM
I usually hate doing that, but I had a party last year where we played Kinectx or whatever it's called.

I also like lan parties with friends. we bust out the Half Life 1 (because everybody can run it) and starcraft 1

Sephex
05-14-2012, 04:08 AM
I much prefer multiplayer with real people over people I don't know online. The next best thing to me is playing with people online that I DO know, but otherwise, I don't really feel like listening to some kid who can't even drive yell racist things at me claiming he knows my mother better than my father does.

Anyway, I still haven't experienced any real life multiplayer action as fun as the N64 brought to the table back in the day. Good times, man.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-14-2012, 06:09 AM
I tend to like competitive multiplayer games in theory, but I'm not really playing much Starcraft II on the ladder these days because my race is only good if your skill level is obscenely high and I haven't played much League of Legends recently because the community is obnoxious. My friends generally don't want to play me in games since I tend to be or get better than them within a short amount of time.

So, like multiplayer with others, don't often get the chance.

NeoCracker
05-14-2012, 06:19 AM
I prefer me a good co-op multi-player with some friends. About the only competitive I do is Fighting games, but I don't do to much online, mostly just with friends still.

Ideally it would be with a system link or split screen, but since some friends are in other states, online works fine for that.

Roto13
05-14-2012, 02:07 PM
My friends generally don't want to play me in games since I tend to be or get better than them within a short amount of time.

I know that feel, bro.

I had a friend who was playing Marvel vs. Capcom 3 for a few months so we both bought Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 so we could play together and I was instantly better than him and now he doesn't want to play it with me any more. :/

Old Manus
05-14-2012, 02:46 PM
My friends generally don't want to play me in games since I tend to be or get better than them within a short amount of time.Yes, this is surely the reason.

Pike
05-14-2012, 05:31 PM

No, that's foreplay for Pike.

This is both hotseat Civ AND foreplay for Pike

NorthernChaosGod
05-15-2012, 12:51 AM
Multiplayer with people in the same room > multiplayer online with people you know > online multiplayer with strangers

Some of my best memories of the Halo series are all the times my friends and I got together for LAN parties.

DMKA
05-15-2012, 02:23 AM
Nope. I have no friends that play video games who live anywhere near me.

Laddy
05-15-2012, 02:55 AM
I demand to know the details of this Pike-MILF-Jiro Civ IV matchup.

Pike
05-15-2012, 06:40 AM

Basically Monty decided to be a prick as always, so Jiro was at war with him for most of the game (Monty decided early on that he hated Jiro for no other reason than, well, he's Monty.) Later the Byzantines declared on me for no good reason and we had a bit of back and forth for a while. Meanwhile, MILF picked up a bunch of free techs at the beginning of the game and sat there and teched and sat at the top of the score chart while his bigass army strutted around.

Mirage
05-15-2012, 11:10 AM
I play Soul Calibur with real people offline as often as I can. Which isn't very often, sadly. There isn't a lot of people I know that are good at those games, so even if I'm nothing special, I keep winning a lot more than they do so they get bored after not too long.

Araciel
05-15-2012, 03:02 PM
One of my finest memories in gaming was Goldeneye with three friends, as well it should be.

Also there was my FAVOURITE gaming session which was when the first Halo came out. A friend and I played through the co op campaign for like ten hours.

Also I have Buzz trivia for ps3 and i was lucky enough to get two so we can play up to 8 players locally/online... We've busted it out at a work party and it was a smash hit.

Laddy
05-15-2012, 07:56 PM

Basically Monty decided to be a prick as always, so Jiro was at war with him for most of the game (Monty decided early on that he hated Jiro for no other reason than, well, he's Monty.) Later the Byzantines declared on me for no good reason and we had a bit of back and forth for a while. Meanwhile, MILF picked up a bunch of free techs at the beginning of the game and sat there and teched and sat at the top of the score chart while his bigass army strutted around.

What civs/leaders were you playing?

Pike
05-15-2012, 08:47 PM

What civs/leaders were you playing?

Hux was Russia as Stalin, Dak was America as Washington, and I was England as Lizzy.

Iceglow
05-15-2012, 10:27 PM
many, many evenings used to be spent either on my mates N64 playing Smash Brothers, Golden Eye or Starfox 64. Many more were spent on his ps2 with Medal of Honor games (we laughed so hard at one of our mates once because we figured out all the spawn points and timings and had me camped opposite the only one he could spawn at (because the others were too close to the other spawn points on this map. 1 shot kill weapons enabled and I spanked him before he'd even gained control of his character for like 40 kills consecutively, then we let him out only to have staked out the other respawns the same...was not a happy bunny with us pmsl)

A good many nights were spent with my older brother playing Scrabble for ps1, Gran Turismo games and Tiger Woods, On NYE when I was a kid and didn't go out we'd sit around playing Scrabble early on then Tiger Woods and lastly when it was just me and my brother awake with everyone else passed out the Gran Turismo duels would start, my brother has experience actually racing cars and I'd still spank his ass every time, he never gave up. Even when he put me on a Super Bike game he didn't win it was pretty funny! Though when he'd eventually win a race because I'd let him select something outrageously overpowered compared to my selection he'd rub it in for days regardless of him losing the last 50 races in a row haha

Shlup
05-16-2012, 12:48 AM
BJ and I play games together all the time. It's been weird since I moved my computer into another room, playing in the same house but talking via Skype. We played Diablo 3 for a few hours last night. I usually play Age of Empires 3 with him from the spare computer in our room, though, so that we can be in the same room. It's hooked up to our TV so it's huge. :D

We also play games with our RL friends but each in our own houses at least a few times a week. We spend a lot of time in Skype, or sometimes Google Hangout because we like the screenshare feature.

Sephex
05-16-2012, 01:11 AM

This was disturbingly close to the fan fic I wrote about you guys. Less sex in my fan fic, though.

Yeargdribble
05-17-2012, 12:12 PM
The vast majority of multiplayer I do is local with my wife. When we lived in an apartment we used to have our computers set up in the same room, but now they are each in our offices just down the hall from each other so sometimes well shout down the hall and sometimes we'll use headsets.

Sadly, there just aren't enough games with local co-op these days. It's hard to find a good couch co-op that we both care about. We'd do a ton more if there was anything out there.

We've been invited by a girlfriend of ours to play some Soul Caliber at her place though I've never played it before. Sounds like fun and we'll probably take her up on it.

escobert
05-19-2012, 03:48 AM
No, I only have one PS3 controller.

Quindiana Jones
05-19-2012, 06:55 PM
My housemate and I have been playing an ungodly amount of Trials Evolution and Rock of Ages. Great fun, the both of them.

Rostum
05-20-2012, 03:20 AM
I have no friends who want to play video games. The last time I did play with someone physically beside me was my sister's boyfriend and Guitar Hero a few months back.

Del Murder
05-20-2012, 03:57 PM
I used to play Goldeneye, Smash Bros. and Mario Party with my brothers all the time when we all lived together, and in college I played NFL Blitz and Mario Golf with my roommates almost daily. Miriel and I also played FFXI together back in the day but since then we don't really play games together. Most of the games I get are single player, with the multiplayer only as a side feature and available only online.

TrollHunter
05-20-2012, 07:09 PM
Me and my friends played so much Smash Bros. (original, melee, and brawl), medal of honor, and spy vs. spy I'm surprised how it never got old. I always SUCKED at spy vs. spy though, good lord I sucked at it.
If I still lived in NC this would probably still be happening, but eh, gotta live with what you got right?
I do occasionally play Soul Calibur with friends here though, and I make sure to never play so I suck as much as they do.
Smash Bros is still my FAVORITE party game though. Soooo much time invested in those games.

GhandiOwnsYou
05-21-2012, 11:41 AM
In person multiplayer is the only acceptable multiplayer. The guys that play online tend to be FPS drones, which has never really held my interest. I guess I just prefer snagging several bottles of liquor and a big sofa and settling in for the evening.

Loony BoB
05-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Local co-op is my favourite thing ever. Danielle and I have done a lot of this, and when Dan + Elly + Danielle + me played Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, it was possibly the highlight of my multiplayer life. The great thing about local co-op multiplayer is that you don't need the game to be anything special (although obviously it helps). In fact, in some cases, I would say that the simpler the better - I would much prefer to play hack'n'slash games like Gauntlet with friends than a game that required a lot of timing and thought. All you need are an army of monsters charging at you that can be destroyed in epic style by the four of you. And when it somehow all goes wrong, it's hilarious rather than frustrating. God damn I need to play a hack'n'slash with Danielle sometime soon. x_x

Laddy
05-26-2012, 07:30 AM
4-player local co-op Gauntlet is nirvana. Truly no multiplayer experience like it.

I Took the Red Pill
05-28-2012, 07:32 PM
I've almost 80 days of power time on my console for Smash Bros. Brawl. I have 699 / 700 stickers, accrued simply on the rare occasions when we decide to play with items. We have a stockpile of booze prepared for celebration of the last sticker, in what is surely the nerdiest and simultaneously most glorious reason for a party I've ever been involved in. I anticipate it will happen sometime this summer, let me know if you'd like to join. :-)

Quindiana Jones
05-28-2012, 11:14 PM
I remember playing Champions of Norrath ("If nothing else, I am rich in friends") with my mate and having an absolute blast. Dungeon-crawly, looty, hack-slashy games are perfect for splitscreen.

GhandiOwnsYou
05-29-2012, 09:43 AM
There are some AWESOME co-op games that have been coming out lately, that really just beg for sofa sessions. Hard Corps: Uprising, Little Big Planet, Modnation Racers, Portal 2, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, and they even re-released Simpson Arcade on Playstation Network. Local Co-op is freaking booming lately.

Markus. D
06-05-2012, 10:04 AM
League of Legend meet ups are always a thing I'm up for. That way I can be schooled on how terribly I'm playing, but without the subtle skype-rage making the school seem cynical.

Roogle
06-07-2012, 04:36 PM
In the fighting game community, live play is valued much more highly over online play. There are some that completely disregard the online multiplayer of a fighting game altogether. Personally, I get more out of live play than online play if only because of the delay that takes place over an average connection. It can really change up timing for specials and combos.