PDA

View Full Version : Rituals

Raistlin
05-17-2012, 04:59 PM
So my law school graduation was a few days ago. I went out drinking and playing poker the night before... and then I spent the day sleeping in, reading, and playing Civ4.

I hate long, boring ceremonies that are just for the sake of having a ceremony. My college graduation was also borderline unbearable (not helped by the fact that I was seriously hung over), but I went because I had gone on a trip with friends during senior week and so was necessarily back in town the day before. Avoiding graduation, then, would have been as much effort as going, so I went.

But for law school, my last exam was a full two weeks before graduation. I packed up, moved out, subletted my apartment (saving a couple hundred dollars), and left. Going to graduation would have involved driving several hours each way and possibly a hotel room. All to... walk across a stage for five seconds and grab a piece of paper. Not worth it. I don't need some overblown, cookie-cutter event to tell me I made it; I considered myself done after my last exam, because my own effort and achievement was all that mattered.

The best part was how well my family and friends know me. None were surprised when I said I wasn't going.

I dislike all such rituals, but I hate them largely to the degree that they are obnoxiously overblown by our culture. That puts weddings at the top of the list, with graduations following pretty close behind. More minor rituals I simply don't understand, like making a big deal out of birthdays or reserving special moments to certain nationally-celebrated holidays.

Do you also hate silly rituals? Or do you love them because your estrogen level is so high you just embrace any excuse to dress up? Have you skipped any notable rituals other people expected you to go to?

Sephex
05-17-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm in the middle. I don't particularly care for most rituals, but I understand why other people like them. When I am obligated to go to such events, I just put on my best face and usually end up having a good time anyway.

Jessweeee♪
05-17-2012, 05:53 PM
I don't really like them. My high school graduation was kind of unpleasant. I went because my parents both dropped out got their GEDs some time later, so it was an important milestone for them as well as me.

Raistlin
05-17-2012, 06:06 PM
I didn't mind my high school graduation. I went to a relatively small private school, and our graduation wasn't very traditional. We each had a teacher speak for us for a couple of minutes, and we even got to vote on whether we wanted to require cap and gowns (we didn't). It was low-key and personalized, so not very ritualistic. I could stomach that much easier than my college or a typical high school graduation.

Peegee
05-17-2012, 08:15 PM
I've been to 3 high school graduations. 'Perks' of being in the high school concert band.

By the time I actually graduated, I hated graduating high school so much that when I realized I didn't fill in the gown size, etc (because who cares), and that my parents were out of the country anyway, I didn't bother going.

Jessweeee♪
05-17-2012, 09:27 PM
At my high school the class gets to pick a graduation song. Every god damn smurfing time it was Journey's Don't Stop Believing. I suspect it has been every year since the song aired. It's the most teenagery song ever. By the time my class came around we were like "no no no smurf this tit" and ended up with Seasons of Love. The year after I went for my cousin's graduation and the choir treated us to the Glee edition of Don't Stop Believing :stare:

Jinx
05-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Lol, Jess. Also Seasons of Love is just beautiful. We didn't do anything like, but every year our choir does this big show, and each choir does music from a different musical. My senior year Chamber choir did Chicago, so we seniors sang Nowadays together. Then in concert choir we did a tribute to the Beatles, and sang All You Need is Love.

Also, THIS is the greatest senior song ever:

Graduation ( Friends Forever ) - Vitamin C ( HQ Official Music Video ) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8trQAQRSlds&feature=related)

Shlup
05-18-2012, 12:42 AM
I've never put on a cap and gown. While all of our friends were at our high school graduation, my other slacker friend and I went out for ice cream or something, and met up with them after.

I mostly went though with the whole wedding ritual because I wanted to dress up all fancy, and to please the families. Our ceremony was like seven minutes.

Bunny
05-18-2012, 12:52 AM
I did not go to my high school graduation (not even sure where it was or when it happened) and I likely won't go to my college graduation. I suppose it is a nice ceremony and gives credence to the finality of it all but I have never seen the point, especially since graduation around here comes in the summer, when it is incredibly hot. When I went to my girlfriend's college graduation (and high school as well) several people ended up passing out because of the heat.

Jiro
05-18-2012, 01:06 AM
Well Jesus H Christ it looks like I'm damn near the only fella who went to his graduation. My high school graduation was something that had been built up since we started high school and so it was something to look forward to, if a little cheesy. We did a graduation "song" too which was a mash up of something shit and Forever Young. Nobody picks the same song twice at my school, it's just bad form. Pick your own goddamn music. It didn't have a cap or gown, we just waltzed out of our little stadium and hugged the teachers and then went to get drunk.

I like the validation of a job well done but my university graduation will take place in March next year while I graduate in November so I dunno if it will really feel all that "awesome" if I go. I probably will though because I'm the first college graduate in my family in god knows how long. Ever, I think. My cousin dropped out, he could have been something special :p

krissy
05-19-2012, 06:34 PM
i went to all my graduations
usually there's food afterward, and the older folks that like me seem to be there too and i want to make them proud or happy or whatever

fire_of_avalon
05-20-2012, 02:49 AM
I went to my high school graduation to flout the fact I was going to a great school in the faces of other people's parents and to make my dad proud.

I will go to my college graduation, if that ever happens, to make my dad proud.

I like my rituals. Birthday cake and supper of choice for your birthday. Exchanging gifts on Christmas morning at an ungodly hour then going back to bed surrounded by loot.

Here's the dress (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Wx7UxbstcHM/T3MjIcTJ4vI/AAAAAAAADu8/_UhOV4PTzV0/s1600/ugly+wedding+dress.jpg) you're wearing for our overpriced, extravaganza wedding, Raistlin.

Raistlin
05-20-2012, 03:32 AM
But that doesn't show off my luscious curves.

fire_of_avalon
05-20-2012, 04:02 AM
That's because your curves are for my eyes only, toots. Don't make me get the belt again.