Peegee
05-18-2012, 05:32 AM
so iirc math you multiply your max download speed by 8 to get your line speed

so we're looking at a 8 Mbps line

but i'm paying for a 6 Mbps line

wtf

also this only happens when i'm connected to this proxy/vpn

i'm now behind 15 proxies.

but seriously i've never downloaded at this speed. wtf is going on i'm scared and pg.

Mirage
05-18-2012, 11:39 PM
How's the weather back in 2005?

Anyway, your ISP's software bandwidth limiter isn't being accurate, or your ISP upgraded your connection for free. Don't tell them about it.

Peegee
05-19-2012, 12:12 AM
How's the weather back in 2005?

Anyway, your ISP's software bandwidth limiter isn't being accurate, or your ISP upgraded your connection for free. Don't tell them about it.

It's more like how's the internet in Canada, eh?

I have more weird info. It shows 1.2 MB/s download, but my torrents are downloading at 400 / whatever. It says the same for Youtube but there's no way for me to measure that.

I wonder if the balance is torrent download traffic from the tracker. Strange nonsense.

Mirage
05-19-2012, 12:16 AM
Just do a speedtest.net while not using your internet connection.

nirojan
05-23-2012, 03:27 AM
That's weird I live in Canada too:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1176945579.png

Point is: You get what you pay for!

Mirage
05-23-2012, 04:46 AM
While we're at it...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1966561746.png

rubah
05-24-2012, 03:37 AM
How much do connections like that cost, anyway.

adjust for USD because I am a dumb

Mirage
05-24-2012, 03:48 AM
No idea, I don't pay anything for it. Considering it's a fiber optical cable that allows for it and someone had to dig and tit to get it into the house, the installation costs were probably pretty high (like $2-300 ), and I would guess it probably costs around 50 bucks a month.

Also god damn it PG why haven't you done the fucking test yet?

CimminyCricket
05-24-2012, 05:33 AM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1968525518.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Now I feel insignificant. I want fiber optic cables. One of my professors has it and he lives in the middle of bum fuck no where.

nirojan
05-25-2012, 08:04 PM
How much do connections like that cost, anyway.

adjust for USD because I am a dumb

I pay about $120 CAD a month. The dollars are hovering around parity so it's probably $121.83 USD (guesstimate). My upload sucks because, Rogers, my ISP is a total douche about uploading. And it's the old "cable internet". I wish I had Fiber, but I don't think Canada has "true" fiber yet. It has Fiber-to-the-node which Bell and Telus use. It goes to your D-box, but then it's copper-coaxial to your house (so you'll lose a bit of speed for the however many meters it is).

Peegee
05-27-2012, 12:02 AM
I think one of the reasons I pay so much for internets is because unlimited bandi suppliers don't exist except for resellers. Also can anybody tell me a non-illegal use reason to have anything faster than 15 Mbps ? ie no torrents, P2P, desu, masu, etc.

Anyway I just updated my service to 12 Mbps / unlimited bandi. (DSL so I have to pay for a dummy line and it costs 54.99 a month) I don't care any more and now I can watch my 1080p YT videos without waiting n___n

edit:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1176945579.png

just checked rogers.ca and they say the ultimate line has 75 Mbps wtf

nirojan
05-27-2012, 02:15 AM
They call it "Speed Boost". From what I understand, your connection gets boosted anytime there's available bandwidth on the network surrounding your area. Once I ran a test and got 103 down! This test is obviously a peak for me but I usually average out around 70-80.

Mirage
05-27-2012, 06:19 AM
I think one of the reasons I pay so much for internets is because unlimited bandi suppliers don't exist except for resellers. Also can anybody tell me a non-illegal use reason to have anything faster than 15 Mbps ? ie no torrents, P2P, desu, masu, etc.

Are you serious?

I totally didn't legally download diablo 3 from Blizzards servers last week and it totally wasn't a 7 GB download. Then, the day after, I definitely didn't download the dragon's dogma demo which definitely wasn't nearly 2 GB. And when I played FF11, I absolutely did not record videos with fraps that were 1 GB each and i definitely didn't share it with friends and they definitely wouldn't have cared if that upload took 5 minutes instead of an hour.

Oh and in the future, I definitely don't want to be able to stream 1080p movies from Netflix HD to my PC with a bitrate of 10-20Mbps while my girlfriend downloads civilization 6 (which will probably be around 20 GBs) from Steam. And I bet she won't care one bit that the download takes 8 hours instead of 30 minutes.

By the way, torrents are not illegal and neither are p2p transfers. Both are entirely legit methods of transferring data. In fact, every time you send a photo you've taken to someone via MSN, you're doing it P2P. And if I'm not mistaken, voice and video chat over Skype is also done via peer to peer connections, at least when possible, simply because doing it that way lowers bandwidth usage for Skype's own servers and because it eliminates a certain amount of network latency.

I dunno about you, PG, but I wouldn't mind 1280x720 resolution video chats with 60 fps instead of the terribly choppy video calls we generally have today. Do you think network bandwidth has anything to do with this?

Peegee
06-03-2012, 09:01 PM
I don't do any of that. God save the queen.

nirojan
06-03-2012, 11:03 PM

It's a mindset like that, that is screwing the rest of us Canadians over! Rogers & Bell continue to rape us on Bandwith Caps and ancient Internet infrastructure and the CRTC is letting them get away with it, because of PEOPLE LIKE YOU!!! *SUPER ANGRY FACE*

I'm pretty sure you're in the minority by now. Most People spend more times in front a computer than TV and I remember reading how most of the bandwith being used by consoles (PS3 and 360) was for Netflix. Now we just need more Vocal Internet rage nerds to get us back in the running with some decent internet speeds!

PS. Why the hell did you say "God save the Queen"?

EDIT: Completely forgot about the jubilee. No need to go full on Brit though :\

Mirage
06-04-2012, 11:40 AM

So what? You asked for legitimate reasons, and you got them.

krissy
06-06-2012, 06:25 AM

It's a mindset like that, that is screwing the rest of us Canadians over! Rogers & Bell continue to rape us on Bandwith Caps and ancient Internet infrastructure and the CRTC is letting them get away with it, because of PEOPLE LIKE YOU!!! *SUPER ANGRY FACE*

I'm pretty sure you're in the minority by now. Most People spend more times in front a computer than TV and I remember reading how most of the bandwith being used by consoles (PS3 and 360) was for Netflix. Now we just need more Vocal Internet rage nerds to get us back in the running with some decent internet speeds!

PS. Why the hell did you say "God save the Queen"?

EDIT: Completely forgot about the jubilee. No need to go full on Brit though :\

is this a serious post

anyway my cap is 65 so think about how I FEEL

nirojan
06-07-2012, 12:40 AM
Why wouldn't it be a serious post?

We have "High speed" internet services that cap us at 15 GB/month. No other country would allow BS like that, but we have to bend over and take it. Anything over that is $4.00/GB!

Drastic changes have to come to the way ISP handle their bandwidth caps. That's a fact, why'd anyone thing I wasn't serious about that?

krissy
06-07-2012, 03:42 AM
i agree with you but you wanted to punch poor old peegee for rich-worshipping the monarchy!

edit; check out my speed test guys

bell

6.30 Mbps download
0.68 Mbps upload

AND I STILL PAY WHENEVER I GO OVER 65 GIGS A MONTH AWW YEA :(
i'm actually just gonna go with teksavvy soon

Mirage
06-07-2012, 10:48 AM
what are these caps things you are talking about

please make another thread if you wish to discuss headwear