PDA

View Full Version : God Bless the USA!

Jinx
05-20-2012, 12:11 AM
So, I was just at the pool, and one of my neighbours brought their radio, and had it turned to the country station. While country music really isn't my thing, I dealt with it (I used to work at a down home country cookin' restaurant.) At least two songs came on in an hour period about how great America is.

So really, this is a question for you folks who aren't from the US. Do you guys have songwriters who write and sing songs about your respective country? Excluding your independence day for you country, is that something that pops up a lot? Here it's perfectly normal to have songs about freedom, eagles, guns, and how fucking cool America is.

Do you guys have patriotic songs that play on a normal day?

Shlup
05-20-2012, 12:37 AM
I... am very interested in the answer to this question.

CZECH REPUBLIC, FUCK YEAH! HERE TO SAVE THE MOTHERFUCKING DAY, YEAH!

I Don't Need A Name
05-20-2012, 12:56 AM
Other than the likes of Rule Brittania and God Save The Queen, and some war songs like Long Way To Tipparary and White Cliffs of Dover, I don't think the English have many songs that big themselves up in such a way. Patriotism is encompassed by being English to us, and that is to just queue quietly xD

fire_of_avalon
05-20-2012, 01:37 AM
The Patriotism thing didn't become a bastion of pop-country until after 9/11. But it's really freaking annoying.

Roto13
05-20-2012, 01:48 AM
The Patriotism thing didn't become a bastion of pop-country until after 9/11. But it's really freaking annoying.

This is the worst thing about 9/11. Not the people who died in the World Trade Centre attack. Not the people who died in the subsequent war. Not the backlash against ordinary peaceful Muslims who aren't the types of people to blow up buildings.

The worst thing was shitty nationalistic pop country songs about making sweet love to a bald eagle wrapped in an american flag.

I Don't Need A Name
05-20-2012, 01:51 AM
The worst thing was titty nationalistic pop country songs about making sweet love to a bald eagle wrapped in an american flag.

And the subsiquent 'We went through 9/11 so you should all bow down to us as we suffered something nasty' fallout that ensued...and still ensues a lot of the time if someone even mentions it.

blackmage_nuke
05-20-2012, 04:23 AM
We have a few in aus but there is no radio station dedicated to them (to my knowledge)

I just came here because I love this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Td1tkaZR0)

Peegee
05-20-2012, 04:33 AM
Canadians are obsessed about proving to the rest of the world that they are not USAians. Our local pop culture media is indicative of this.

Jiro
05-20-2012, 04:45 AM
We have plenty of songs about Australia but not necessarily about it being great.

krissy
05-20-2012, 05:16 AM
but jiro

WALTZING MATILDA

Jiro
05-20-2012, 05:43 AM
We used to sing alternate lyrics. Waltzing matilda who bloody killed 'er? Lying in the grass with a dagger up 'er ass.

Roto13
05-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Canadians are obsessed about proving to the rest of the world that they are not USAians. Our local pop culture media is indicative of this.

Tragically Hip 4eva

DMKA
05-20-2012, 02:38 PM
It's the one thing we and North Korea have in common, lol.

I haven't heard a patriotic song on the radio in a long, long time. Unless you count Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus. :p

Sephex
05-20-2012, 06:01 PM
I can't remember where I read this or else I would link it, but "Party in the USA" shot up the charts once again when word broke out that Bin Laden died. I laughed at this information because it is so tacky.

Quindiana Jones
05-20-2012, 07:04 PM
If getting through bad shits qualifies a country as dominant, then Poland would rule the world. Long live Poland.

But no, nobody in the British Isles is stupid/patriotic. Everybody hates England, especially the English, so we don't have any wanker tracks. The Welsh don't, because they've done nothing of consequence. The Scottish don't, because singing is for poofters. The Northern Irish don't, because they have nothing to be proud of, and the Irish don't because why sing patriotic songs when you can just drunkenly sing The Pogues?

TrollHunter
05-20-2012, 07:18 PM
This also ties into TV shows here a lot too...
American Pickers
American Restoration
America the Story of Us
Only in America
Gettysburg (It's related)
United Stats of America (oh how clever)
Inspector America

And these are all on ONE CHANNEL
I know it's the history channel and all, but is it really necessary to tack the word america onto every title...

Quindiana Jones
05-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Wow. It's almost like the entire country is insecure or something...

TrollHunter
05-20-2012, 07:31 PM
I wouldn't say that's far off.

Jinx
05-20-2012, 07:36 PM
omg america

Toby Keith Courtesy of The Red, White and Blue - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygfGGTTo2c0&feature=related)

Raistlin
05-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Did someone actually link to a Toby Keith song in this thread?

I think someone just linked to Toby Keith.

Please ban her immediately.

*gag*

Peegee
05-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Stand Up And Be Counted - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKc2lAYrPSo&skipcontrinter=1)

I Don't Need A Name
05-20-2012, 09:30 PM
The Irish just have this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x76tT_oCeI) instead

American Pickers
American Restoration
America the Story of Us
Only in America
Inspector America

I know it's the history channel and all, but is it really necessary to tack the word america onto every title...

I know it's the history channel, but maybe it's about time to recognise that there are other countries with far more history than America

Freya
05-20-2012, 09:44 PM
There is that! It's History Channel International! And the one I watch more often.

Roto13
05-20-2012, 09:55 PM
The History channel isn't respectable these days anyway. Best to just ignore it.

Quindiana Jones
05-20-2012, 10:19 PM
This History Channel? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utDHcbiOfKY)

TrollHunter
05-20-2012, 11:50 PM
The Irish just have this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x76tT_oCeI) instead

American Pickers
American Restoration
America the Story of Us
Only in America
Inspector America

I know it's the history channel, but maybe it's about time to recognise that there are other countries with far more history than America

That's what I was getting at.

fire_of_avalon
05-21-2012, 01:55 AM
HEY YOU DO NOT MESS WITH TOBY KEITH.

Toby Keith - Should've Been A Cowboy - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zquk_DExKo)

Bubba
05-21-2012, 02:46 PM
the Irish don't because why sing patriotic songs when you can just drunkenly sing The Pogues?

The Irish are worse than the Americans for singing patriotic songs! They take every chance they can get to describe their luscious green country and some bonnie lass they left behind.

Songs such as The Fields of Athenry, God Save Ireland, A Nation Once Again, Danny Boy, The Girl I left Behind, Molly Malone, The Boys of County Cork, Four Green Fields, The Town I Loved So Well... the list just never ends...

Irish songs really irritate me actually as they generally all sound the same and talk about the exact same stuff. Here is a list of subject matter found within Irish songs.

- Ireland
- Hills of some description
- Green stuff
- How great Ireland is
- How someone not in Ireland... would miss Ireland
- A faithful wife/girlfriend who used to live/has moved away from Ireland
- Mentioning regions of Ireland with great affection
- How the Irish have been mistreated by every other country/person/animal in the world
- Potatoes
- Alcohol

You'd think if it was that great then they would never leave the bloody place. Instead, they seem to be making it their personal mission to open an Irish bar in as many places around the world as is humanly possible. There's probably one on the Gaza Strip by now...

That being said I don't mind the Irish people. My best mate is from Cork and he is a legend.

Rantz
05-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Swedes try their very hardest to avoid the topic of patriotism completely. When people do dare express their opinions of Sweden, it seems to be something along the lines of:

2% Old-School Patriotism - Oh Sweden, beautiful motherland... *tear*
3% Nationalism - Sweden rocks, fuck immigrants (at least brown ones)!
15% Hate - Sweden sucks, let's go somewhere ~exotic~ and get tans!
15% Post-Hate Patriotism - Sweden rocks and I reserve a right to be proud (also, USA sucks lolol)!
20% Overcompensation - Sing the national anthem? What do you take me for, racist!?
45% Non-commital - Sweden's cool I guess and other countries are okay too I guess...

The Old-School Patriots, the Nationalists and the Post-Hate Patriots are the only ones who are passionate enough to sing about their attitudes. Most media avoids the topic entirely, but Nationalism and Overcompensation are sometimes featured on news (mostly around national day) and in documentaries.

Pike
05-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Around here nobody is proud of the USA, just Montana.

God I love Montana

Quindiana Jones
05-21-2012, 04:27 PM
I love Montana too. I met my mate Rodney there.

Jiro
05-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Montana is fucking awesome tbh

Roto13
05-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Montana sucks.

I assume.

Jiro
05-21-2012, 05:17 PM
You're wrong there Rhody

Madame Adequate
05-21-2012, 07:28 PM
- Ireland
- Green stuff
- How great Ireland is
- How the Irish have been mistreated by every other country/person/animal in the world
- Potatoes
- Alcohol

Hey don't forget songs about how terrible those filthy Fenians/Taigs/Huns need to all be killed! And Daniel O'Donnell!

Pike
05-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Montana sucks.

I assume.

It does now that Dak has left us :(

Peegee
05-21-2012, 07:56 PM
I dunno. before I found out Piku lived there i would be like Montana pffft

That's gotta count for a cat.

Bubba
05-21-2012, 09:24 PM
- Ireland
- Green stuff
- How great Ireland is
- Potatoes
- Alcohol

Hey don't forget songs about how terrible those filthy Fenians/Taigs/Huns need to all be killed! And Daniel O'Donnell!

Of course, how could I forget those?!

Although, I am consciously trying to forget about the existence of Daniel O'Donnell...

Jiro
05-22-2012, 04:56 AM
I dunno. before I found out Piku lived there i would be like Montana pffft

That's gotta count for a cat.

A cat is fine too

Laddy
05-26-2012, 07:14 AM
Everywhere I go plays country music, so naturally I'm exposed to such mindless drivel.

Question: If America constantly tries to give itself a boner, is America gay? :jess:

krissy
06-01-2012, 06:50 PM
"AMERICA, BACK IN GOD'S HANDS" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke0upA0erWg)