PDA

View Full Version : Sonic CD

Pike
05-21-2012, 06:18 AM
Hux made me download this on my 360 and it's glorious. This is one of those games that most people haven't heard of, let alone played, but it's really a hidden gem. Dat beautiful music. Dat glorious time travel mechanic.

Who else likes this game?

escobert
05-21-2012, 09:13 AM
I played it when I was a young lad and my brother had a Sega CD. It was fun. But I don't remember a whole lot besides that it was sonic :p and the system it was on. Of course I was in like 2nd or 3rd grade.

KentaRawr!
05-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Meh, Sonic 3's better.

Roto13
05-21-2012, 03:57 PM
The recent download version of Sonic CD is prety great from a technical standpoint. It's a fantastic port. But the game was never really that great, mostly because the level design occasionally uses a different philosophy from what made the Genesis Sonics great. Too many areas seem to exist just to make you run in a circle and look for a way out. And I'm not talking about parts that are clearly there to make time travel easier. I'm talking about areas where you run into a wall and fall back into the loop. That's shitty.

I wrote a review (http://www.honestgamers.com/reviews/9874.html).

Pike
05-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Oh did I accidentally make this in General Chat? My bad :shobon:

Anyways mostly I'm in love with the time travel mechanic. I want to remake all the Genesis Sonics and put time travel in. Kickstarter imo.

Madame Adequate
05-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Mostly I'm in love with liking anything that Roto doesn't. Just because Sanic CD isn't casual babby tier doesn't make it bad.

Roto13
05-21-2012, 04:21 PM
If you play Sonic 4 Episode 2 after playing Episode 1, you can play as Metal Sonic, complete with a scene of Robotnik reviving him on Stardust Speedway.

Mostly I'm in love with liking anything that Roto doesn't. Just because Sanic CD isn't casual babby tier doesn't make it bad.
No, it doesn't make it bad, but it is a bad thing about it that makes it not as good as the great Sonic games, because level design is super crazy important in platformers. Don't make me kick your ass in more Genesis Sonics to put you in your place.

Getting out of a loop isn't hard, it's just annoying and unnecessary and can take a while if you don't know where the exit is already.

Alpha2099
05-21-2012, 07:01 PM
I have it, but I haven't played it in a while. It's a decent game, but largely forgotten about because it was on the ill-fated Sega CD. Both that and Knuckles Chaotix get pushed to the back of the closet.

Madame Adequate
05-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Nobody actually said it was the best Sonic game ever made, in case you missed that.

Sephex
05-21-2012, 07:31 PM
I liked the game for what it was. It was a bit different, but that was the point since it was trying to utilize the Sega CD in ways other than FMV.

Roto13
05-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Nobody actually said it was the best Sonic game ever made, in case you missed that.

Not in this thread, but the internet is saturated with people who still in 2012 say it's the best Sonic game ever made because they're still trying to justify their purchase of a Sega CD 20 years later. :P

And that's not the point anyway. I never said anything about anyone saying it's the greatest Sonic game ever made until this post (in case you missed that). I'm saying it's not on par with other Sonic games from the era.

EDIT: And I didn't even say I didn't like it, by the way. I gave it a 7/10 in that review I linked to.