PDA

View Full Version : Terrific Stories, Terrible movies.

Hollycat
05-21-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm looking at you Last Airbender and Eragon.

In case you didn't know, the Last Airbender's actors have all the talent of a potato that is six years past its prime. The director, M. Night Shimysham, decided to switch the races around so that all the fire benders are some weird hispanic or something, and the personalities have all been switched to retarded little kid. Not one scene of the movie was good. Depsite all this, the movie made 395 million dollars.

Now, on to Eragon. One of the most succesful series in our generation, the movie was butchered by the director to the point that if you changed the names, you wouldn't recognize it as Eragon. It's not even the detail changes, such as making Eragon an annoying unlikable blonde prick, or making Arya a bimbo and Durza an old man with god like powers. No, it's not even turning the Urgals human and Brom unlikable and getting rid of the dwarves and changing 30% of the story and giving saphira feathers. No, what it is about is the director took what may have been one of the most incredible scripts of all time, scrapped it, and allowed his 3 year old daughter to rewrite eveyones lines.
Way to kill the epic movie potential. This was posed to be the new Harry Potter. Now it's House on Mango Street.

Discuss dissapointing movies based on a tv show or book.

Sephex
05-21-2012, 05:30 PM
The only one I can think of is how I felt the premise of "In Time" was very interesting, but they somehow made it as boring as they possibly could.

Bubba
05-21-2012, 06:27 PM
I was very excited when I heard about the film "Morning Glory" starring Rachel McAdams. What could have been a study on pre-breakfast sexual encounters actually turned out to be a crappy chick flick about a TV show.

Highly disappointing.

Pike
05-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Watership Down

krissy
05-21-2012, 07:47 PM
The Losers was a pretty good comic, but the movie was terrifically average action fare.

Del Murder
05-21-2012, 11:51 PM
The Lost World was the biggest disappointment ever. I loved Jurassic Park, both book and movie, and I ate up the sequel when I read it. I was super hyped up for the movie but it turned out to be crap. :(

Miriel
05-22-2012, 08:30 AM
The Golden Compass was a terrific book, absolutely awful movie.

The Time Traveler's Wife is in my opinion, the best time travel book ever written and also one of the best love stories ever. And the movie was one of the worst I'd ever seen. I mean... worse than a lifetime movie. Just really really bad.

Sephex
05-22-2012, 11:58 AM
The Lost World was the biggest disappointment ever. I loved Jurassic Park, both book and movie, and I ate up the sequel when I read it. I was super hyped up for the movie but it turned out to be crap. :(

Oh god, thanks for reminding me of that. I'd rather face an actual raptor attack than watch that one again.[/internetcritic]

Pike
05-22-2012, 02:10 PM

Oh man I had almost forgotten about this. Just... WHY.

Jinx
05-22-2012, 03:35 PM

Oh man I had almost forgotten about this. Just... WHY.

I honestly didn't think it was THAT bad, but it's been a few years since I've seen it. The problem was that they cut the climax to put it at the beginning of the second movie...which never happened.

Memoirs of a Geisha. The first time I saw the movie, I hadn't read the book, and loved it. Then I read the book. And I realized just...how butcherd it was.

OH OH OH

And Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. Dear god that was a piece of shit. They felt they had to juxtapose a story of modern day best friends...and most of the story revolved around them, and not what made the book so great. You saw almost no time with Lily and Snow Flower. The thing is, it was an especially bad movie adaptation, because the modern day friends don't exist in the book. That story's not there. So, over half the movie was something from the director's mind, and pooped on a book fans loved.

Miriel
05-22-2012, 03:44 PM
I hated the book Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, I wonder how much I would have hated the movie.

Chris
05-26-2012, 05:24 PM
I don't actually mind The Lost World, and I'm a big Jurassic fan. Nowhere near as brilliant as the first, but nowhere near as atrocious as the third.

I have to agree on The Golden Compass and Eragon. Just completely terrible! Wtf did they do to the Eragon movie?

On the other hand, the movie version of Stardust was actually better than the book, which is a rare occurence.

Hollycat
05-26-2012, 05:32 PM
A series of Unfortunate events.

Looking back, the books weren't even that good, but the movie was much much worse.

Chris
05-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Even though I do it with a heavy heart, I have to mention a couple of the Harry Potter movies. The first three movies were terrific and didn't leave out anything too important, but The Goblet of Fire, The Order of the Phoenix and The Half Blood Prince were all butchered. I just can't fathom why they would leave out so much stuff from those movies.

They somehow managed to turn the longest book (OoTP), into the shortest movie. And they left out the best chapter in Half Blood Prince, which was The House of Gaunt. That chapter was essential to the history of the Horcrux. Generally speaking, they butchered the memory parts completely.

Although, I was generally satisfied with the last two installments, except for the fact that they almost completely left out Dumbledore's story, not to mention the two most exciting duels in the book... Minerva vs. Snape, was nothing more than a couple of flashy CGI effects, and the duel between Molly and Bellatrix was equally as disappointing. Come on! Both duels lasted no more than thirty seconds each. :(

Shiny
05-28-2012, 02:52 AM
Bram Stoker's Dracula. Ridiculous campy acting by Gary Oldman and Keanu Reeves is really out of place in it.