PDA

View Full Version : The new Final Fantasy must overcome the Final Fantasy of the past...

Wolf Kanno
05-24-2012, 11:25 PM
While the article itself (http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/11194.html)was a bit boring and silly, the idea behind the topic was interesting, so I feel it's worth discussing.

For those not in the knowing, Tetsuya Nomura basically made the thread title statement when he recently shot down questions concerning a FFVII Remake in a recent Famitsu article, and basically said that the companies new strategy with the franchise is to focus on new titles. Nomura himself hopes to make an FF title that can surpass FFVII apparently.

So what are your thoughts, fears, and baseless accusations?

Alpha2099
05-25-2012, 12:20 AM
Haven't really played any of the FFs after 7. Tried my hand at 12 and didn't like it. I also don't have enough disposable income to get new systems and keep up with new titles, either. It would be hard to outdo 7, but it's possible. You'd have to look at what made 7 good -- not necessarily in terms of specific mechanics like Materia, but the general positives those mechanics had like customizability -- and work with those good things. Then take things that made 7 weak and try to improve on that.

Mercen-X
05-25-2012, 12:37 AM
It's about time they made a decision. I don't care if the outcome was a remake of VII or a title they hope will surpass it, but the last few titles they've put out (and the VII spin-offs) have not really measured up. Maybe they should be trying for a game that surpasses VI or combines VI and VII somehow... gasp* I know, blasphemy, right? Though the two really aren't far removed from one another to begin with.

ShinGundam
05-25-2012, 02:01 AM
Good strategy but that would be really difficult at the moment. To me, the problem isn't about Final Fantasy as much as the know and how of making an RPG has change a lot in a short period. I think the most basic example of that is if i were an RPG director "what should i choose fast travels/warps or airships/cars?" To me the if i want to make an FF game i will choose airships/cars but if i want to make an "approachable" modern RPG i have to choose fast travels/warps which is much easier and less time-consuming as well.

That is without mention other stuff like the fact that modern FF is like 70% dungeons or in some cases the percentage goes to 100% like FF13. If you want to overcome FFVII you need a more uniquely detailed "locals" not a dungeon crawler with repeated textures.

I feel it is impossible to overcome the lasting impression of any old FF but you won't know without at least trying to.

Alpha2099
05-25-2012, 02:07 AM
I feel it is impossible to overcome the lasting impression of any old FF but you won't know without at least trying to.
That's true. The old FFs were often ground-breaking in terms of their mechanics, paving the way for a lot of subsequent RPGs. It's hard to find something that hasn't been done yet.

VeloZer0
05-25-2012, 07:15 AM
From the last decade it seems to me that SE has absolutely no clue what they are doing in terms of developing games, and not for lack of ambition. If anything the focus on new games as opposed to sequels and spin-offs will give them some more practice and a higher chance to produce something great.

Now don't I sound all old and jaded.... :(

Fynn
05-25-2012, 07:48 AM
That's actually a beautiful statement. It shows that at least some of the employees care about making a great game instead of just prrinting cash. And, despite his character-designing quirks, I really believe Nomura may be able to pull it off, judging by his superb Kingdom Hearts series and what we have thus far seen of Versus XIII.

Del Murder
05-27-2012, 06:28 AM
Nomura sure likes to talk a big game. How about he stops running his mouth and starts making some games. What has he done for us lately? We don't have Versus, we don't have KH3, the US doesn't even have KH 3D yet.

I'd love to see what Nomura's 'attempt' to top FFVII will be. I'm sure it won't be a bad game, but it's an ambitious goal to try and top such a legend. FFVII's popularity was more than just the game, it was about the moment as well. It will be tough to reproduce that.

Mercen-X
05-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Nomura's attempts to surpass VII:
1) Final Fantasy VII-2
2) Final Fantasy VII: 3D
3) Final Fantasy versus VII

Del Murder
05-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Final Fantasy 777/2 Days

sabin101
05-27-2012, 08:09 PM
I don't think square enix will be able to come up with a game that would surpass final fantasy 7. With the games that I have seen them come out lately it is no where in the same level as ff 7. I don't think there will ever be a remake of 7 it would take like 20 years I don't think anyone has the patience to wait that long I know I don't. What I would not mind is a 3d version of final fantasy 6. Now that would be sweet. Final fantasy 4 and 7 have been remade so many times. I am bored with those games.

Depression Moon
05-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Final Fantasy VII was surpassed in quality when VI came out. I really do hope though that we can start seeing more games from SE, especially more console games. I haven't got a single one of theirs from this gen yet.

Fynn
05-28-2012, 06:20 AM
Come on, VII is far from the best game ever. It's more like Del said - it will be hard for it to do the same that VII did, as it arrived at just the right moment. Nevertheless, I hope they make a great FF once again.

Also, XV is a multiple of 3. And I think we all know what that means :cool:

Loony BoB
05-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Come on, VII is far from the best game ever.
These things are matters of opinion rather than fact. For me, VII is the best game ever, because I have yet to enjoy a game or get as immersed in a game as I have with Final Fantasy VII. *shrug*

I don't think Nomura will ever top VII. I think it's a commendable goal, though, and I wish him all the best as I'd love to find a game better than what I see as the best!

Mercen-X
05-28-2012, 07:25 PM
XV is a multiple of 3. And I think we all know what that means :cool:It doesn't mean anything. III was not the one of the best FFs, VII was not a multiple of 3, IX was more nostalgic than pure awesome, the only reason XII rocked harder than XI was because XI was strictly an online game. The only possible reason XV would rock is because XIV, another online only game, failed miserably.

Final Fantasy 777/2 Days

Final Fantasy 666: Magitek equals Blasphemy

ShinGundam
05-28-2012, 08:08 PM
I'd love to see what Nomura's 'attempt' to top FFVII will be. I'm sure it won't be a bad game, but it's an ambitious goal to try and top such a legend. FFVII's popularity was more than just the game, it was about the moment as well. It will be tough to reproduce that.

But he wasn't talking about sales or popularity either, Nomura commented on the idea of remaking VII for 15th anniversary and then he commented that he wants the newer FF to surpass classic FFin general regardless who will produce or direct over the game. Of course, it won't be easy not because classic FF is invincible but because the basics of making an JRPG has changed a lot, Today when you hire a quests designer he won't make "Ultima weapon" quest, "Finding Yuffie", "Tournament" instead he will make "kill x amount and collect x amount." that is pretty much the current standard quests for JRPGs.

Anyway, I wish them the best luck my favorite era were PS1 era and i would love to play a new powerhouse FF with all PS1 era qualities and more than i want to play remake of anything.

Del Murder
05-28-2012, 08:23 PM
That's a stupid standard and a pathetic excuse for making a subpar game. SE had people who designed more involving quests in the past. Where are they now? If you hire a quest designer and that's the only quests he can make then you need to fire him and then fire your recruiters as well.

Fynn
05-29-2012, 11:53 AM
XV is a multiple of 3. And I think we all know what that means :cool:It doesn't mean anything. III was not the one of the best FFs, VII was not a multiple of 3, IX was more nostalgic than pure awesome, the only reason XII rocked harder than XI was because XI was strictly an online game. The only possible reason XV would rock is because XIV, another online only game, failed miserably.

Oh, it does mean something.

While I largely prefer VII over III, you have to admit III was very different from what was before. True, nowadays it seems mundane, but it was the first with a job system, first FF with this huge, layered world, as well as the first to try to implement some thought-provoking elements - the villain is not so much evil as just a force of nature, we also have this controversial to this day matter of Xande's mortality.

VI was the first one to try to have a more theatrical approach - this is what paved way for VII's cinematical approach to storytelling. It was also stylistically different from the past games. So I have to say, while VII brought FF to the mainstream, were it not for the features VI revolutionized, it might have been a totally different game. Also, I believe I do not have to speak of the awesomeness of VI.

IX was, yet again, different. It was a throwback to the old games, while at the same time, for those who started with VII, it was something completely new. True, nostaligia is the main source of its awesomeness, but it is very different compared to VII and VIII.

And then we have XII. One of the most controversial entries in the series. This one took a lot of risks, being totally different from X and having a completely revamped battle system.

Bottom line is, I think that, with the last entries of a generation, the creators go all out and take great risks, in order to make something completely different from the rest of the generation. For the most part, it works pretty darn well - as evidenced by III and VI, future installments build on the changes implemented. With that said, I think these are the games that changed the series the most, and for the better. They are the most awesome to me, personally, and I know this is not objective, but I also know that a lot of the members of these boards agree with me.

Bubba
05-29-2012, 03:29 PM
I think the new FF needs to take some inspiration from the past. It's clear the direction the series has gone recently is not a welcome one.

I for one would love to see a game re-introduce pre-rendered backgrounds. This may seem like a step back to some but they could create so many more fantastic locations without having to map them all in 3D. As long as it is well-drawn and has better storyline, I don't think there would be too many complaints with them taking this direction.

It could be a little side project for SE which I think could please a lot of hard core fans.

Mercen-X
05-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Today when you hire a quests designer he won't make "Ultima weapon" quest, "Finding Yuffie", "Tournament" instead he will make "kill x amount and collect x amount."

This is the era of online gaming :cry:

And Finn: While it may be true that those titles are revolutionary, that in itself does not necessarily make them awesome. But I do hope Squeal will take XV as an opportunity to explore a decent concept as opposed to an absurd one

black orb
05-29-2012, 09:04 PM
>>> Nomura think that FF7 is the best?... man, FF7 is not the best and it was already surpassed long time ago by FF9 and probably FF10..:luca:

sabin101
05-29-2012, 09:18 PM
I did like final fantasy 9 and 10. 9 was one of my favorites because it went back to the old school rpg with castles and airships all of that stuff. I am a old school rpg gamer just my taste of style of games. As for seven being the best I am not sure it was but it was a great game when it came out. I think if square enix came out with a game like that today it was make everything okay again or to that caliber of a game would be sweet. Not sure if they can do it considering the track record of late with the games they have been coming out only time will tell.